2008 First self oil/filter and air filter change

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 01:54 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2008 First self oil/filter and air filter change

All:

Performed my first oil and filter change and air filter change today, 46k miles. Some notes:

When replacing the air filter, the filter goes in one way. In addition, it is MUCH EASIER to visualize if you disconnect the intake to the engine (requires loosening a clamp and removing the electrical connector to the sensor on top of the airbox.) Then after releasing the air box clamps, push the top housing down and towards the passenger seat - there are two clips in the back that engage with tension only. Take a flashlight and move the top of the box around - you'll see them. After doing this and popping the full top off, I realized how to put the new filter in. I had taken the old filter out and hadn't positioned the new one properly (was upside down) and it would NOT fit lol.

Also - when changing the oil (used Valvoline 5w30 full synth and a wix filter) I attempted to take out the oil drain valve. Well, this resulted in the entire filter body coming off the car. Honestly, even though it results in some oil all over the place (have a pan underneath!) I think this is simpler than the 3 step process I would have used had I actually gotten the drain portion of the filter out. At that point I didn't need to replace the filter drain gasket; just the main gasket around the filter housing (and the filter too!)

All in all, I'll be much quicker next time. You don't need to remove any of the lower air dam housing at all to get to any of this - and on the top, to change the filter, you just have to remove the plastics on the right hand side. Of course, I removed ALL the plastics on the top of the engine and used this as an opportunity to clean them up.

All in all, I spent $91 on Valvoline full synth + wix oil filter + wix air filter. I got 2x5.1 quart jugs - was cheaper in bulk (around 30$ for each.) Was looking to get a cabin filter, but O'Reileys didn't have the charcoal filter in stock at the time; I'll see what other avenues I have for that.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 First self oil/filter and air filter change-20120818_155844.jpg  
Old 08-18-12, 02:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I never use the cannister drain area when doing a oil change.I know a few mechanics who do the same thing.Quicker changes.
A bit messier but worth it to me.
Old 08-18-12, 04:34 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, much easier the second time. I do not bother with that bothersome drain on the filter housing--not needed IMHO. Walmart sells cabin filters for the ES.
Old 08-19-12, 05:18 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

O'Reiley's sells the cabin air filters too; unfortunately they didn't have any of the charcoal based filters available (would have to special order without stock) so I declined for now and am shopping around to see what's there. Any one have a good recommendation over the stock?
Old 08-19-12, 06:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
O'Reiley's sells the cabin air filters too; unfortunately they didn't have any of the charcoal based filters available (would have to special order without stock) so I declined for now and am shopping around to see what's there. Any one have a good recommendation over the stock?
I haven't tried these but probably will.$3 rebate.
Have to spend at least $25 to get free shipping.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-19-12, 08:39 PM
AgentRS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the post...i'm going to change my air filter next week...my '08 es350 just hit 47k miles

as far as the cabin filter goes, what's the benefit of changing the cabin filter? is that something i should be doing too?
Old 08-20-12, 04:53 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentRS
as far as the cabin filter goes, what's the benefit of changing the cabin filter? is that something i should be doing too?
All the outside air that is drawn into your car (for heating, AC & ventilation) is drawn through the cabin filter, which removes particulate matter and even filters out pollen for those folks with allergies. Consequently, the cabin filter (much like the furnace filter in your house if you have forced air) traps like of gunk & junk. Lots of dirt, leaves, dead bugs, etc. get trapped in it.

Here in Colorado I change our cabin filters annually due to the fairly large amount of dust that gets trapped in ours. A plus is that the air in the car smells better with a new filter, plus there's less strain on the blower motor.
Old 08-20-12, 05:37 AM
AgentRS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool...thanks for the info!

Sounds like I will be changing my 4 year old one for sure!