ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Questions re ipod touch hookup to ES350 audio system

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 11:08 PM
provlima
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions re ipod touch hookup to ES350 audio system

Recently purchased a 2010 ES350 with NAV, and found there is alot to learn about the NAV display and using its features. I have an ipod touch that has a bluetooth feature and had some questions as to its use with the audio system.

How many options are there to hook up an ipod to the ES 350's audio system?

I have read posts in these forums about using a miniplug connector from the ipod's earphone into the audio. I have also read references to connecting the ipod via a usb cable through the armrest usb connector, and other references to connect wirelessly by configuring the ipod via the audio system's bluetooth tab.

I would like to configure the ipod via bluetooth but am concerned that using the ipod touch's power would drain the ipod's battery.

Would greatly appreciate comments from those of you who have faced these configuration choices with their bluetooth ipods and the ES350.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
Old 08-17-12, 06:17 AM
350FSport
Driver

Originally Posted by provlima
Recently purchased a 2010 ES350 with NAV, and found there is alot to learn about the NAV display and using its features. I have an ipod touch that has a bluetooth feature and had some questions as to its use with the audio system.

How many options are there to hook up an ipod to the ES 350's audio system?

I have read posts in these forums about using a miniplug connector from the ipod's earphone into the audio. I have also read references to connecting the ipod via a usb cable through the armrest usb connector, and other references to connect wirelessly by configuring the ipod via the audio system's bluetooth tab.

I would like to configure the ipod via bluetooth but am concerned that using the ipod touch's power would drain the ipod's battery.

Would greatly appreciate comments from those of you who have faced these configuration choices with their bluetooth ipods and the ES350.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
What I would do on my IS350 that had bluetooth audio and usb plug, is that I would keep a standard apple usb-->ipod cable (the wire part of the charger without the brick) plugged into the USB plug in my armrest full time (never took it out of the car), then use BT for audio. That way it connects automatically when you get in the car, and if you have plenty of juice, you are good to go. Or you can always plug it in if you want to charge it, plugging it in does not disrupt BT. This is the feature I miss most since I have a 2009 ES!
Old 08-17-12, 06:55 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I transferred my ipod music to a 25 GIG stick and keep it plugged into the USB port in the console. Frees up the ipod to use with my
Old 08-17-12, 06:56 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bose headphones.
Old 08-17-12, 12:15 PM
provlima
Driver School Candidate

"What I would do on my IS350 that had bluetooth audio and usb plug, is that I would keep a standard apple usb-->ipod cable (the wire part of the charger without the brick) plugged into the USB plug in my armrest full time (never took it out of the car), then use BT for audio. That way it connects automatically when you get in the car, and if you have plenty of juice, you are good to go. Or you can always plug it in if you want to charge it, plugging it in does not disrupt" BT.

Thanks for your response, but I need some clarification...If you plug in the ipod cable and connect to the usb port, the playlists etc then display the NAV screen so doesnt plugging it in via the usb cable defeat the wireless feature of blue tooth??

Again, thanks for your help!

Jim

Last edited by provlima; 08-17-12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 07:41 PM
RTSM
Driver

Provlima, I use a 4th gen iPod touch via the USB port and it works great, the songs, playlists etc show on the Nav screen. It keeps the iPod charged and is very responsive. I recomend spending a few bucks and buy the "Monster Cable" usb/charging cable as I went through too many of the standard Apple cables. The Monster Cable version is well built and I noticed that the transfer rate and response of scrolling to be faster. Also, this is to all with the ML audio, we have two surround speakers on the rear deck as part of the ML system, previously I could barely hear them until I purchased the BBE Pro app for the iPod Touch, using this app you can taylor the sound without adding color or distortion. With this app I was surprised as to how much the surround speakers have come alive, highly recomended audio app, the best there is and I tried about 6 other equalizers that did not compare.
Best of luck, enjoy your new ride and the tunes either way!