ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How is Your lexus Holding Up? Mines not

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 01:10 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH
It is an 07 es 350. The first two maybe minor but with the costs of their parts and average garage costs it certainly ends up costing a ton. And i never expected things like water pumps and Wheel bearings. Basically i wanted to post to find out if this is a trend with these es350's When I bought it I expected to get at least 100k on it before this kind of stuff started happening. As i mentioned none of my other toyotas have ever even seen the inside of a shop unless it was for things like brakes.
Did you buy new? If used, how many miles was on it when you bought?
A little feedback please!
Old 08-10-13, 06:13 AM
lisaclaw
Driver School Candidate

I decided to try a different mechanic before I get hosed by the dealer. This mechanic told me that our perceptions have changed over the last 10 years. The fact that I am just now having to put in money into the car and I have 140K miles is really pretty good. Told him I don't know if i want another Lexus maybe BMW this time. He tried to talk me out of BMW and said they have a need for repairs around 70K miles. He is constantly trying to talk people in to a Lexus vs BMW.

Taking it in Monday to this mechanic. If I can fix it for $2K I will keep it. If it is much more, I think I will go to CarMax and see what they offer me. I thought the dealer low balled me but they kept saying it has high miles.

I bought mine new with 12 miles.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 08-10-13, 06:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lisaclaw
I decided to try a different mechanic before I get hosed by the dealer. This mechanic told me that our perceptions have changed over the last 10 years. The fact that I am just now having to put in money into the car and I have 140K miles is really pretty good. Told him I don't know if i want another Lexus maybe BMW this time. He tried to talk me out of BMW and said they have a need for repairs around 70K miles. He is constantly trying to talk people in to a Lexus vs BMW.

Taking it in Monday to this mechanic. If I can fix it for $2K I will keep it. If it is much more, I think I will go to CarMax and see what they offer me. I thought the dealer low balled me but they kept saying it has high miles.

I bought mine new with 12 miles.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Even if you can get it fixed for $2k it sounds like it might be time to start looking for something else with factory warranty. Those repair and service bill do add up after a few years.
Old 08-10-13, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The fact that I am just now having to put in money into the car and I have 140K miles is really pretty good.
This is absolutely true, The car is 7 years old and has 140k miles, any repairs you need to make now are a reflection of age and wear, not on the quality or reliability of the car.

I think I will go to CarMax and see what they offer me. I thought the dealer low balled me but they kept saying it has high miles.
Bear in mind its high miles (hard to get financing for a car with that many miles, its a cash purchase), and it needs several thousand dollars worth of work. The Lexus dealership is taking that into account when they give you a value. Carmax may not realize and may offer you more.
Old 08-11-13, 03:58 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

The price they are giving for your trade is more the reflection of it being a wholesale unit than just a lowball offer. Most of these type of high mileage vehicles end up on the buy here pay here type of dealer lots. Not very many franchised dealers will keep a unit with that type of mileage on their lots. Thus, they wholesale them out for no profit most times just to make a deal. Just about every dealer has a wholesaler hanging around the used car manager on weekends just to make these types of deals.
Old 08-12-13, 05:00 AM
andym0097
Driver School Candidate

Default Amsoil lubricant

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
You only change your oil once a year?? How can that be?
Amsoil is synthetic.It doesn't wear out. Only reason I change it once a year is because the filter is dirty. Special Amsoil filter lasts a year. Google "Amsoil.com". let me know if you want to buy some and I will set you up as a preferred customer for wholesale pricing. andym0097@gmail.com.
Old 08-12-13, 07:29 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andym0097
Amsoil is synthetic.It doesn't wear out. Only reason I change it once a year is because the filter is dirty. Special Amsoil filter lasts a year. Google "Amsoil.com". let me know if you want to buy some and I will set you up as a preferred customer for wholesale pricing. andym0097@gmail.com.
My husband is a service manager at a dealership! He would kill me if I only changed my oil once a year.. But thanks for the offer.
Old 08-12-13, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Synthetic oil DOES wear out...but thats another thread topic...
Old 08-13-13, 05:03 AM
lisaclaw
Driver School Candidate

Took my car to a trusted mechanic. $850 for water pump, thermostat, drive belts, coolant drained and replaced. $300 for front brakes. SMALL oil leak. No need to reseal engine at this time.

Keeping the car and expect to get at least 6 more months of usage.

Will not be getting the car serviced at the dealership again.
Old 08-13-13, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Great!

Yes, when they get older you need a independent mechanic. The way the dealers charge is based around warranty work and scheduled maintenance, big repair jobs at the dealer will bankrupt you...
Old 08-14-13, 02:04 AM
dman00001
Rookie

He tried to talk me out of BMW and said they have a need for repairs around 70K miles. He is constantly trying to talk people in to a Lexus vs BMW.
No need for him to talk anyone into believing this. Independent research shows BMWs had horrible reliability for several years and it was very common to pay big bucks for repairs around 70k miles. He's just trying to save people some pain. I know a few people who've experienced it personally. I hear the recent years are better but haven't researched them that much.
Old 09-05-13, 11:11 PM
lisaclaw
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

A week after I fixed the water pump and front brakes ($1200), my a/c went out. $3000 to fix it. I will be trading in the car this weekend. Can't survive driving in business attire in the Texas summer heat with no a/c.

Getting a new Honda Accord. Has all the bells and whistles that my ES350 had/has plus some. Honda dealer offered me $9000 for my Lexus. Ready to switch.
Old 09-06-13, 06:31 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

My 07 ES350 has been holding up great Mechanically have only had one issue it was a Drivetrain Issue the front Axle half shaft boot was cracked so it was leaking they said
the dealer fixed it under warranty
so far i bought it used with around 40k on it i think maybe just under and its got 61,900 miles now and it was running great for that time
i had a small accident i call a small accident but it was serious
however for only going 5 miles an hour i am not happy with the structure of this lexus really kind of disappointed
a 5 mph accident caused the rail to buckle and bend
seriously lexus maybe they need to figure out a better structure info for there cars or something perhaps

how ever this doens't mean im giving up on them
Old 09-06-13, 07:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

UPDATE:

A week after I fixed the water pump and front brakes ($1200), my a/c went out. $3000 to fix it. I will be trading in the car this weekend. Can't survive driving in business attire in the Texas summer heat with no a/c.

Getting a new Honda Accord. Has all the bells and whistles that my ES350 had/has plus some. Honda dealer offered me $9000 for my Lexus. Ready to switch.
With costs piling up like this on the car, it sounds like the best thing to do. Good luck with the new Accord, from all reports, a great car.
Old 09-06-13, 07:53 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

Since it sounds like you do a lot of driving I would rent a Honda for a few day to see if it comfortable for you.. My friend just traded her Accord in because she did a lot of driving and the seats were killing her back. Good luck!

ALSO.... Are you sure the guy that did the $1200 repair didn't screw up your A/C???

Quick Reply: How is Your lexus Holding Up? Mines not