ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Why does the 2007 ES350 shake.

Old 07-23-12, 09:36 AM
johnturino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does the 2007 ES350 shake.

On my 2007 ES 350, the car shakes when it's up to 70mph. Can anyone help me as to why? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 07-23-12, 09:43 AM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First item to check is wheel balance or a bent rim.
Second is tie rods.
Third might be CV axles.
Old 07-23-12, 09:46 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Rotors?

If the shaking gets worse at 70 mph when you step on the brakes, you could have warped rotors. Just had that exact problem. I had to replace the front brake rotors.
Old 07-23-12, 12:15 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the easy/simple troubleshooting first.........move the front wheels to the back and see if that affects a change in the vibration. Or, have all the wheels balanced.
Old 07-23-12, 01:03 PM
John U
Intermediate

I just remembered the pair of "bad" tires I had that "shook". Discount Tire replaced then under my warranty.
Old 07-23-12, 02:30 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, when we bought our '08 ES last December, we received a pile of service receipts. Judging from the large number of receipts for "tire balancing" and "suspension alignment" and "brake rotor surfacing/replacement", the previous owner had some serious recurring vibration problems. Once we installed a set of new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, all the vibration problems went away completely. I'm VERY happy about that.
Old 07-23-12, 02:33 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

my old car had a broken axl and the car would shake every time i go faster than 60 mph...did you run into a curb and break your axl by any chance?
Old 07-24-12, 09:44 AM
wildwheels
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same problem and it persisted until I got new tires.
Old 07-25-12, 10:43 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

In regards to the potential tire issue, you should try and ascertain where the vibration might be coming from.

If it's tires, you can try and figure out where the problem is coming from:

1) If you feel it in the steering wheel, it's most likely front end related/front tire related

2) If you feel the vibration in your posterior, it's most likely a problem in the rear tires/rear end.

Also, try and go on variety of road surfaces at that speed (as long as it's safe & legal ! ).
Sometimes, you can get a vibration on some roads while not getting it on other roads.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-12, 11:19 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

-Lug Bolt Torque
-Wheel is bent
-Tires aren't high quality
-Out of Alignment
-Wheel/Tires aren't properly balanced
-Something more serious with suspension
Old 07-29-12, 08:07 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Most common causes in my experience are 1) wheel balance problem, and 2) warped brake rotors.
Old 11-14-14, 02:08 PM
paulroy
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus vibration

When accelerating car would vibrate. Lexus dealer replaced broken motor mount.but thought vibration was due to transmission. Transmission guy discovered out it was broken axles and not transmission. Lexus dealership missed it. Thank god we had extended warranty. Only had to pay $100 on a $2000 repair. Always buy extended warranty on vehicles
Old 11-18-14, 12:23 PM
Cibola
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 ES 350 Front end vibration

Ok, just joined but wanted some advice. I have an ES350, 2011 with 72k on it. Last week while merging on the freeway, I felt what I thought were the anti-locks come on at about 35 mph, front right tire, during normal acceleration merging. No big deal I thought, but then the vibration started but smoothed out about 60.

I did think I heard something hit the wheel well, and thought perhaps it was a weight that I spun. Immediately I took the car to the tire retailer. They very nicely removed all four tires, took them off the rims and performed a full inspection of the inside and out. Then spun balanced them and put them back on. The tires are Michelins Primacy MXV4 and have been great. I rotate them every 5k never an issue, second set for me on this car.(15k on them now)

Well, this did not work so I tried driving the rest of the day, limiting the miles but quickly noticed the vibration would start about 25 mph, then increase until about 45, then start fading. I took the car back again the tire retailer and once again, they did the exact same thing, with the same result. Even tried driving with the traction control off, thinking it was malfunctioning, nope, same thing.

Then I took it to the repair shop we use to service all our vehicles and had him perform an inspection. He did the same thing with the tires, balancing, rotating, inspecting them with all the same results. Then they performed a full inspection and found nothing wrong, the axels were not bent, no notacable collisions or marks, he checked the rotors, everything under the front end to help me.

This was all no charge, wonderful service but he recommended the dealership. He also stated he looked up several blogs and found out that this was a problem with the car (2009 to 2012), finding multiple issues with mixed results. People changing axels with no improvement, basically, this is an issue, people are spending big money to repair. He did not feel comfortable replacing axles and to start billing me, if the car had a pending recall. I have been working with him for 20 years, top notch service and reputation.

Then I searched and found out that in June of this year, there was a claim and or report filed to the national transportation authority on this vehicle, exactly for this issue, stating is was a major safety issue. It also read that perhaps this was going to turn into a recall?

Sure hope so, last thing I want are games or thousands of dollars with a dealership chasing the rabbit. Of course, right after it went out of warranty.......

Anyone heard of this issue or the solution? It is at the dealership now, let’s see what they find.

(stock wheels, perfect condition, no collisions, new tires, inspected 4 times, rebalanced 4 times, rotated 4 times)
Old 11-19-14, 01:47 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

2010 with 20,000 miles on original tires and no vibration issues.
Old 11-19-14, 04:19 PM
Cibola
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 ES 350 Front end vibration

Well,
Just picked up my car from the Dealership and had to pay a hefty repair bill, over $900! They have no clue why, had no explanation why, and couldn’t tell me why, just that the passenger axle was bent. The only clue I was given is that perhaps it was defective from the factory?

Of course they were not going to admit this is a factory problem, why would they? But if you read all the blogs, this is an ongoing issue. Watch for a silent factory recall, I am, for getting my money back is always a good thing.

Little upset. Really, a front axle bending on acceleration? I was in a left hand turn lane, the light turned green I pushed go and started my merge. Then about 30 yards on the ramp the front right wheel felt like the anti-lock was engaging for about 2 second and poof, it stopped and the vibration started.

So are you telling me a Lexus ES 350, with 72,000 on it, always professionally serviced, driven mostly highway miles, bends an axle on giving it gas? All So Cal, no bad weather, never off road, never in snow, hardly any rain miles, garaged every day. Never hit a pot hole, never a curb, this is my company car, I am the only person other than techs that has ever driven it.

This is obviously a defective axle system and this should be a recall. Step up to the plate Lexus, recall this part!

I love Lexus, even bought the first one that one car of the year man, many moons ago. Remember, if you have any weird front end vibration issues, of course check all the obvious easy ones, tires, rims, hubs, brakes but if they all check out, you need to replace the axle. What a complete joke folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does the 2007 ES350 shake.