Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

sticky melting dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 12:56 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

What about the cars that are out of US (exported)?
Old 07-20-15, 01:47 PM
Morgance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Replacement - Told will have to paid for any parts that break during replacement

My ES350 has the sticky dashboard problem and Lexus has agreed to replace the dash, but the service manager at the Lexus dealership told me that any parts that break, while they are replacing the dash, Lexus will not cover. He said they have done one replacement so far and said that several other parts broke. Has anyone else been told that you will be responsible for any parts that break while replacing the dash, or had to pay for parts that broke?
Old 08-24-15, 11:14 PM
ongdia009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdyork60
I just purchased a 2008 ES350 a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it had a sticky part above the instrument panel the salesman ( used car dealer- Toyota Mall of Georgia) said they would clean it up. Turns out it is not just sticky, the whole dash top when it sits in the sun starts breaking down. The dash is a foam, cushy material but I have found hundreds of threads on 2002 IS with the exact problem, but not so many o n th ES. Does anyone else have this problem with their dash? I know it is breaking down due to heat, and it ends up "shining" giving a reflection in the window that is distracting and unsafe. I anticipate pursuing Lexus further as they claiim they have never heard of the problem. Toyota dealer says there is a "paint" they can use to fix it.... I don't like this fix. I think this is a Lexus problem, and I will get this fixed. For a $30K used car, I drive a lot and driving in GA or the south for hours, I can't put a window reflector up- nor should I have to. It's a LEXUS??? Help?? Speak up if you have this problem. Again, ES350, not an IS with melting/sticky dash - unacceptable in my opinion and Lexus does not help.
I had the same problem with my Camry 3.5 2009 model. Seems like this problem spread over the world.
Old 08-31-15, 05:08 AM
aboger
Driver School Candidate

Default Extended Warranty for Stick Dashboards

Hi All,

I received a letter from Lexus in regards to the stick dash discussed here. I urge all of you who are second owners of Lexus cars to register at www.lexusdrivers.com with your VIN number. You will get all relevant recall notices. Lexus also sent me a letter in regards to the oil line failures on ES350s.

This isn't the entire letter; if you can't read it, I'll rescan it if you like. Call your dealer and you might get a free dash fix.<br/>Al Boger
Old 08-31-15, 06:24 AM
ongdia009
Driver School Candidate

Wow that's so great
I wish that could work for my camry 3.5q cuz it's melted so worse now
Old 08-31-15, 04:45 PM
romuald
Driver School Candidate

ongdia009 : You should definitely check for recalls. I had my ES350 done last year, and my son owns a 2008 Sienna that had the dash recalled. He's now waiting for replacement dashboard to come in to dealership. He wants to get it done soon so he can sell the car.
Old 08-31-15, 05:18 PM
aboger
Driver School Candidate

Default Romuald is right!

Originally Posted by romuald
ongdia009 : You should definitely check for recalls. I had my ES350 done last year, and my son owns a 2008 Sienna that had the dash recalled. He's now waiting for replacement dashboard to come in to dealership. He wants to get it done soon so he can sell the car.
There are many "secret" or "goodwill" repairs when a car is known to have issues. It doesn't hurt to ask the dealer. And if you don't like that answer, check with another dealer.

Service bulletins, which unfortunately aren't readily available to the public, often contain information that may lead to a no charge repair. If you visit your dealer and sweet talk one of the service writers, you might get a printout of your bulletins, even if you have to pay a fee. Or you can buy a subscription here: http://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/?siteI...id=XKiyX8ZknCA

If you use the code " RENEWDIY" during checkout, you should get it for only $9.95 per year! If that one doesn't work, try " DIYDISCOUNT" for $19.95 per year. (I am NOT affiliated in any way with this site, and I am NOT promoting it---I simply belong to it, that's all). Please believe me, this is not a spam. I like the info provided on the site, nothing else!
Al Boger
Old 08-31-15, 09:00 PM
ongdia009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by romuald
the only thing is that i live in Vietnam , Toyota service here is suck
Old 09-01-15, 08:12 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ongdia009
Wow that's so great
I wish that could work for my camry 3.5q cuz it's melted so worse now
This seems to indicate that the camry is covered too

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/melting-dashboard/
Old 09-01-15, 03:47 PM
babowc
Driver

I got this same notice for my car, but the dealership has not had the dashboard in stock for the longest time now.
It's been well over 3 months since my first visit, and their response is: "we're out of stock, you have to wait"

Frustrating.. now I have a dead moth stuck on the melted, shiny dashboard.
Old 10-21-16, 08:24 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dash 'went off' on me for the first time in early spring. I mean first time ever in just under ten years which happened to be days before the recall expired! Called the dealership and left a voice mail with my service writer. He called me back to say he had ordered me a new one sight unseen. (What is interesting is I did not experience this issue again this summer, but I always installed the sun visor when the car was parked outside.) Had the new one installed yesterday and it looks just like the last one. . I did notice the invoice that went back to Lexus - $1650. I was discussing it with the service writer who informed me this problem runs across many models and many years. Ouch!
Old 10-21-16, 09:11 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a silly question but can you just use sunshades?
Old 10-21-16, 01:52 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Moose Engineering
This is a silly question but can you just use sunshades?
Hah! Maybe I proved you can. Maybe mine was a rare case. The SW said they all do it (2007 ES) which would explain their quick response. But I gotta say...it only has to happen once. OMG it was nasty! And thanks to CL I immediately knew what it was.

If you want a chuckle go read page one in this multi-year thread.
Old 10-28-16, 04:39 AM
nsnqst
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2007 ES 350 is in for the dash replacement; got a 2016 loaner as well. @ Morgance, there was no mention about other parts breaking; I hope they do not but will let you know once the car comes back. I had ordered the dash through the dealer back in March so there is quite a bit of backlog. They also said some customers are waiting for over a year.
Old 10-31-16, 11:14 PM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my dash replaced, the dealer messed up my central console gouging the plastic and breaking off one of the clips on the shifter trim. It looks worse than when I sent it in. Lexus corporate told me that it was between me and the dealer. The dealer told me to hit the road. I'm going to file a small claims court after I get the airbag recall done.

Quick Reply: sticky melting dash