Print Wikipost

sticky melting dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 07:31 AM
nsnqst
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nsnqst
My 2007 ES 350 is in for the dash replacement; got a 2016 loaner as well. @ Morgance, there was no mention about other parts breaking; I hope they do not but will let you know once the car comes back. I had ordered the dash through the dealer back in March so there is quite a bit of backlog. They also said some customers are waiting for over a year.
Got the new dash installed. The dealer kept the car from Thursday evening and it was ready Monday morning; got a loaner for 3 days; it was a little low on gas but I did not have to put any myself.

No damage has been noticed except a couple of plastic retainer clips and one screw noticed in the cup holder; did not find any open holes, though.
Old 11-30-16, 04:13 PM
nsnqst
Rookie

Got the new dash installed. The dealer kept the car from Thursday evening and it was ready Monday morning; got a loaner for 3 days; it was a little low on gas but I did not have to put any myself.

No damage has been noticed except a couple of plastic retainer clips and one screw noticed in the cup holder; did not find any open holes, though.
The dash is brand new and the car looks great; so glad that Lexus resolved this issue.
Old 11-30-16, 08:18 PM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dash is brand new and the car looks great; so glad that Lexus resolved this issue.
I just bought an 08 es350 that has a dash mat on it. From what I can tell the dash under the mat doesn't look overly sticky, but around the edges of the dash (near the vents) it's appears to be crumbled and flaking off. Would this be under the same recall?
Old 12-01-16, 06:41 AM
nsnqst
Rookie

Originally Posted by cm18cam
I just bought an 08 es350 that has a dash mat on it. From what I can tell the dash under the mat doesn't look overly sticky, but around the edges of the dash (near the vents) it's appears to be crumbled and flaking off. Would this be under the same recall?
You will have to check the VIN number against the recall; the links are in this thread (sorry I don't recall exactly which link).
Old 12-01-16, 06:45 AM
nsnqst
Rookie

You will have to check the VIN number against the recall; the links are in this thread (sorry I don't recall exactly which link).
I remember I called Lexus support and they confirmed that my VIN was part of the recall and eligible for the free dash replacement. There is a 10-year limit, though so I'd do this ASAP, if I were you.
Old 12-01-16, 07:41 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

thanks so much. Ill give them a call this afternoon
Old 12-09-16, 05:22 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

just went by Lexus and they said my car is effected and have ordered me a new dash. About how long did yours take to arrive at the dealer?
Old 12-10-16, 03:16 PM
squid
Driver School Candidate

took me months for my is350, literally in excess of 6, but I'd imagine it not taking that long for you now since they've got the ball rolling on replacing everyone's dash and doors.
Old 12-11-16, 07:08 AM
chief400
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution Trunk button cover

I had this problem with my LS460. The part that melts is just a rubber cover which sets on the outside of the button. Oh course, the button and cover are installed on the inside of the trunk. I have not found anybody that has a way to prevent this from happening. The good thing is all of these covers for Lexus, Toyota, Scion, (and I think Isuzu) are all the same part. I bought one off Ebay for 12.95 including shipping from Taiwan. The seller was zone1motors. Took 2-3 weeks to get here, but I was in no hurry. The one I bought was the cheapest one that I found and was listed as "IAP RUBBER BUTTON for trunk switch, suitable for TOYOTA" on Ebay. There is a very good set of instructions written by wchain with pictures at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...utton-fix.html

Last edited by chief400; 12-11-16 at 07:09 AM. Reason: misspelled work
Old 12-21-16, 06:30 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

My dashboard has the same cracks and it also got sticky near the upper dash areas. I called Lexus corporate and they checked my VIN and determined my dash was under recall and now I am waiting for the new one to arrive.
Old 12-30-16, 08:23 AM
rhodesblet
Driver School Candidate

Post Sticky Dash

I bought a 2007 ES350 from a used car dealer. After reading some of the forums someone suggested to call my local Lexus dealer because Lexus had extended the warranties on some year models due to defective dashboard material. I called about 3 months ago and the service department took my VIN number and said they would put me on the list for a new dash. I didn't really think I would hear back from them but to my surprise I got a call this morning, my new dash had arrived and I am scheduled to bring my car to the dealer for installment. I hope this helps answer some of the questions about the dashboard problem. I am not sure how much longer Lexus is going to extend this warranty but if you have this problem you need to make a few phone calls. I was told this is not a recall but an extended warranty provided by Lexus.
Old 01-02-17, 01:37 PM
bharless
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I assume its out of the original warranty? Lexus isn't going to help. With it being used, you just have no idea what could have been put on the dash material, did it sit outside for long periods of time? etc.

I think you're going to be out of luck on this one...
I called my dealer about 6 months ago and they said they would call when I could get it replaced. I had pretty much given up on it and was going to call and ask what was going on. They called me friday and said my dash parts were here when could I bring it in. I scheduled it monday today and it's in the shop now. I have a newer loaner. It should be done tomorrow. Hope everything works when I get it back.. I think Lexus is really standing tall on free replacement for this
Old 01-27-17, 02:13 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My dash is doing this;

I didn't even think about the "sticky/melting dash" issue so I went to a local automotive shop to see what they thought. The shop I went to is where my dealer sends vehicles for things like window tinting, door dings, leather tears, etc.. The guy there came out with a shop towel dipped in some type of cleaner but when he rubbed on the side of my dash you could see bits of black that came off in his towel. He immediately stopped rubbing and grabbed a guy from the shop to take a look who as soon as he got in my vehicle said he wouldn't advise cleaning any more and I should instead take it to the dealer because he had seen several hundred of Toyota's/Lexus's with a similar problem, although normally sticky & melting. I took it to my dealer who denied the notion of it being sticky/melting but it really didn't set well with me so I contacted Lexus who sent two regional representatives down yesterday to take a look. They too denied my claim saying that the damage is a result of cleaning the dash with some type of product other than water. I told them that the problem didn't exist until recently and it was only cleaned (partially) after I noticed the problem. Besides, I think it is rather odd that the dash would only exhibit the problem along the top of the glove box and over by the ignition push-button start had the entire dash been cleaned with something other than warm water? I conveyed that to the reps who said the dash might act differently in different places.

Now I don't know what to do so I thought I would see if this problem is as widespread as the sticky/melting issue.

I want to start a petition, but if I am the only one effected, what's the point.

TIA!
Old 01-27-17, 02:01 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds like the work of a couple hacks who were looking for a reason to deny your claim, and took the presence of some sort of cleaner as their evidence that the phenomenon is not a result of the design...weak
Old 01-28-17, 04:33 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Mine looked similarly faded among other issues like dented areas and cracks related to this recall. When I called Lexus corporate they ran my VIN and determined my car was affected. I'm currently waiting for my new dash, but it's been nearly 2 months so far. I'd continue to push the issue with corporate and have them run your VIN.

Quick Reply: sticky melting dash