ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES350 Flickering Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 04:38 PM
barabti1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ES350 Flickering Headlight

My mechanic says the sensor is bad, as he switched lightbulbs and the flickering didn't go away. He says the replacement sensor is $300. Does anyone think it could be something else? These guys have worked on my Lexus in the past and have been reputable.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 04-04-12, 07:11 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What sensor? Wouldn't a faulty ambient light sensor affect both lights? It sounds like a ballast or wiring problem to me.

Does your light flicker when you turn the headlight setting to full on (not auto)? If so, the ambient light sensor isn't involved.
Old 04-09-12, 07:22 AM
lovinmylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started having the same problem with my driver side headlight. It flickers and then sometimes (not always) will go off all together, but will come back on if I switch the lights off and then on again. I didn't think about it being the sensor because I figured it would affect both lights. I'm interested to see if others are having this same issue and what they have found the cause to be. I'm hoping its just a loose connection that can be a quick and easy (not too pricey) fix!
Old 04-10-12, 09:51 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmylex
I just started having the same problem with my driver side headlight. It flickers and then sometimes (not always) will go off all together, but will come back on if I switch the lights off and then on again. I didn't think about it being the sensor because I figured it would affect both lights. I'm interested to see if others are having this same issue and what they have found the cause to be. I'm hoping its just a loose connection that can be a quick and easy (not too pricey) fix!
Your problem isn't the same as barabti1's - your bulb is going out. Follow the instructions in the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...f-then-on.html to replace it yourself or take it to a shop to have it replaced.
Old 04-17-12, 01:57 PM
barabti1
Driver School Candidate

It turned out my lightbulbs needed replacement, and, of course, they recommend replacing both at the same time. They cost $190 each, so this is not a cheap repair.
Old 04-23-12, 06:38 AM
lovinmylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are extremely expensive if you go through the dealership. You can go on amazon and get the same bulb for $50.00. here is the link:

Amazon Amazon

Its my understanding that this is the exact same one that the dealership uses. I am ordering the bulbs myself and having someone else put them in. Its saving me a ton this way. Good luck!
Old 08-07-12, 07:26 PM
ronfurg
Driver School Candidate

lovinmylex -- Wondering how your fix using the bulbs from Amazon is going? According to Amazon their bulbs are exact replacements. Hoping you can give me an update.
Old 08-12-12, 07:55 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I picked up my philips bulbs from amazon, no issues for my gs400. Phillips is likely one of the oem suppliers.
Old 08-13-12, 02:14 AM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Yup bad headlight. i had the same issue. Flickering on and off and then totally out for a while then back on. I went to ebay and got a set lights for like $20 put it in in 5 min and no issues for years. When i called the dealer to get a quote I literally laughed when they told me the price.
Old 08-13-12, 06:56 AM
ronfurg
Driver School Candidate

Default Intermittant Headlights

I just, by accidetnt, learned that my headlights were out intermittently. Due to the fact that I needed the car to make a trip the next day I went ahead and had my local mechanic, not the Lexus dealer, make the repair. He purchased the replacement bulbs from a local auto parts supply place and withing a few minutes I was back on the road with two new functional bulbs. I don't know how long they will last. The total cost was $325 which seems like robbery to me but I know the majority of the cost was the bulbs and the labor was VERY inexpensive. If I had not been in such a perdicament needing the repair to be made quickly I would have ordered the bulbs through Amazon. They have the OEM (I believe) bulbs for about $80 for TWO. I believe the only percaution is to be sure and not touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers when installing as the oil from your hand would shorten the life of the bulb, At least that is what I have been told. My big concern for this whole issue is that you do not know that you have an intermittant bulb. It seems like a safety issue to me. I'm surpirsed that with all the whoop-d-do electronics on the ES-350 that there isn't an indicator that a light is out.
Old 08-13-12, 07:13 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My GS400 headlight went flickering and when it was on (not healthy bright) it was actually pink in tinge when it finally did fire up. The salts build up inside and the arc can't happen anymore so it wigs out and starts flickering.

Amazon by far is the best place to buy a bulb. IIRC I could get 2 Phillips bulbs for around $79. And free shipping for Prime members ($4 overnight). Well worth it for me.

The local parts store wanted $100 for a single bulb. Amazon is my new part store. I can get Toyota/Lexus parts or AC Delco parts (for my Suburban and Park Avenue) far cheaper than the parts store and I get the OEM supplier for parts instead of junk el-cheapo brands the parts stores want to carry so they maximize profits.
Old 08-13-12, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH
Yup bad headlight. i had the same issue. Flickering on and off and then totally out for a while then back on. I went to ebay and got a set lights for like $20 put it in in 5 min and no issues for years. When i called the dealer to get a quote I literally laughed when they told me the price.
Your bulbs are halogen though, these are HID units.
Old 08-20-12, 01:48 AM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Not sure it was so long ago,but i remember them saying halogen. Popped them in they look exactly the same and have lasted a couple years. So why would anyone pay that outrageous price that dealer is asking?
Old 01-14-20, 01:17 PM
omitchell
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue... Did you have to replace your head light?
Old 01-16-20, 06:05 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Look on youtube, there are several videos on how to replace HID headlight bulbs on Lexus and Toyota vehicles. I think the 2007 ES has the D4S HID bulb, same as most other Lexus & Toyota vehicles that year range. The Halogen bulbs are different and less expensive.

https://www.hidconcept.com/pages/pro...w/%20HID%20H/L

Quick Reply: 2007 ES350 Flickering Headlight