ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

sealed transmission maintenance

Old 01-02-12, 05:52 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
Default sealed transmission maintenance

I was surprised to learned that our transmissions have life-time ATF fluid. How can it be, I'd imagine it would need change at around 90-100K miles.
Are these transmissions reliable such that you dont need extra insurance in doing ATF changes?
Old 01-02-12, 06:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Did a search. Came up with these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ion-fluid.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...id-change.html

Lou
Old 01-06-12, 06:03 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my owners manual it states the transmission fluid should be changed every 96kkms
Old 01-06-12, 06:09 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by azncapcom
In my owners manual it states the transmission fluid should be changed every 96kkms
what year? in 2012 it says nothing about it, says its life time.
Old 01-07-12, 11:24 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I always plan on selling the car before I hit 50K miles so it is sealed for life for me.
Old 01-08-12, 09:20 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had over 96,000 miles on my 2007 when I recently got rid of it and never changed it out. I guess that was lifetime for me
Old 01-08-12, 10:13 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by SatComm302
I had over 96,000 miles on my 2007 when I recently got rid of it and never changed it out. I guess that was lifetime for me
I think auto manufactures declare lifetime if its 100K. I might keep it to 200K, you never know
Old 01-15-12, 01:53 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
I think auto manufactures declare lifetime if its 100K.
You might be right about the automakers' definition of lifetime. Even synthetic fluids do not last forever. Keep in mind though that the spark plugs and the coolant are not lifetime parts, and supposedly last up to or well over 100K miles.
Old 01-26-12, 09:50 AM
Tommytbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the dealer about also, when the trans needed the software update to fix the 3-4 shift flares. They can flush the trans though the coolant lines.
Old 01-27-12, 11:58 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 115,000 on my car and recently had it at the dealer. They said they would not change out the transmission fluid because it was good forever.

I'm not buying it, but that's the company line.
Old 02-01-12, 12:51 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

"Good forever" assumes a transmission lifespan of 200,000 miles (according to an article that quoted an Aisin transmission engineer). But owners who DON'T want their transmission to be worn out at 200,000 miles need to change at least about half the fluid every 30,000 miles.
Old 02-02-12, 04:43 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toyota TSB says never change it ..... don't check until 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by gemigniani
"Good forever" assumes a transmission lifespan of 200,000 miles (according to an article that quoted an Aisin transmission engineer). But owners who DON'T want their transmission to be worn out at 200,000 miles need to change at least about half the fluid every 30,000 miles.
This is a direct copy and paste fromDirect copy and paste from TSB - TC010-07 (dated 6-28-07):

World Standard (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was introduced to reduce maintenance costs and increase the mileage between scheduled maintenance checks. Here are some important tips when working with ATF-WS in Toyota vehicles requiring
its use.

100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any
flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.
��
The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.

��
The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible
or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal
transmission components.

��
ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

��
Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should always be sealed — If exposed to the
atmosphere, ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if
used in operation.

��
One time use only.

��
When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use
only new, clean ATF–WS when refilling the ATM.

��
ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid
drained from the overflow plug should be discarded following proper local
regulations and never reused. Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and

damage to the internal transmission components.
Old 02-09-12, 09:00 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, but here is the problem, even a sealed transmission is ventalated to the outside, so guess what, condensation is in the mix. now I have heard both sides of the argument, i don't know what to do myself, but i think i am going to have my sealed tranny in my ls changed at 100k i understand that the fluid from toyota is better, but i honestly don't think anything beats moisture. just my educated guess, based on both sides. The one guy is from allison transmissions that told me the venting to the outside is the problem.
Old 02-09-12, 10:59 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The transmission has to be vented to ambient to equalize the internal case air pressure. The end of the vent tube/hose is usually attached high up in the engine compartment. The amount of moisture due to condensation (from heating and cooling), and venting will be small. Your engine is vented as well with the added disadvantage of having additional moisture added by the combustion blowby gasses. The engine is also vented almost continously by the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system with outside (intake) air that is pulled into it, as well. Can't say that I've seen visible amounts of water in engine oil or transmission fluid (auto and manual) that I've drained over many years. Small amounts of suspended moisture in the fluid won't hurt anything. It is always better, mind you, to not drive the car only on short drives whereby the engine and transmission do not get up to "operating temps". Remember that the internal transmission parts are wetted by the transmission fluid either all the time or during operation and this fluid will coat and stick to the parts to protect them from corrosion. Unless you are towing something and/or driving at really high speed a lot then you should be able to get to 100,000 miles with no problems and without worrying about fluid changes. I would prefer the old style dipstick and filler tube myself, but there is nothing we can do about that.
Old 02-11-12, 01:03 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old grump, so are you saying that you support getting a transmission fluid change at 100k, or should I just have it inspected? You gave the best points to all of this i have heard so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sealed transmission maintenance