ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES350 Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 05:19 PM
PESIFIKO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ES350 Starting issue

I'm hoping someone could give me an idea of what the issue could be....

I recently came back from vacation and found that my battery in my 2007 ES350 was dead. It was possible that I left the dome light on which eventually drained the battery, so I thought a quick jump start would do the trick. A little hesitation at first, but it eventually started. After a quick drive around the block, I pulled up, turned the engine off, and attempted to restart- it was completely dead again. I figured it was either the battery or the alternator. A quick trip to Autozone for a battery test confirmed that it would not hold a charge, so a new one was purchased. After I swapped it out, it still would not start, however it did not appear to be a battery issue at that point. Here were my observations:

1. Upon connecting terminals, I noticed a clicking noise in the engine compartment (not exactly sure where it was coming from). It also appeared that "something" was "on" in the compartment, as I could hear a slight buzzing noise.
2. Once connected, 3 beeps were emitted. I take it this was from the alarm.
3. Once inside the car, I noticed that the whole dash was already lit up. Engine light, Battery light, were all lit up. Start button was orange. Security light in the middle of the dash was blinking constantly. Overhead LEDs stay on. (All enterior lights stay on as long as battery is connected)
4. I proceed to step on the brake peddle, and hit the Start button (which was now green)- no response what so ever.
5. Headlights are bright as can be. Radio is in working condition.Turn signals flash.
6. Each time any of the doors opens/ closes the alarm beeps.
7. Remote unresponsive. Pressing unlock button on remote does nothing.

Course of action taken thus far:
1. In an attempt to possibly reset the alarm (which I obtained instructions from on one of the mboards), I placed the physical key in the door handle and turned it left/right twice- same results.
2. Checked some of the fuses in the engine compartment and they seem to be intact.
3. I take it the battery is OK since lights, radio, and interior lights turn on as expected.

Again, I'm hoping to run across someone on here that may have experienced the same or just has an idea of what could be the problem. I understand that I may have to tow the car into the dealer to have it resolved, but I thought checking here first would not hurt, as it could be something simple as resetting, activating, or .....

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-29-11, 08:20 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

the owners manual p 294 says

After recharging the battery
The engine may not start. Follow the procedure below to initialize the system.
1. Shift the shift lever to P.
2. Open and close any of the doors.
3. Restart the engine.

your problem seems much more complicated though
Old 12-30-11, 05:43 AM
PESIFIKO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually did try that as well. Same results.

UPDATE: Apparently after connecting the new battery, the car is left in a different mode, possibly ACC, which is why all dash lights were on, and I was able to turn on radio, lower windows, etc. After numerous attempts at starting the car with the brake peddle depressed, I attempted to hit the start button without pressing on the brake peddle. This placed it in OFF mode, and ....Voila! I was able to start the car as normal. This set of procedures is different than what is stated on p294 to say the least. I'm glad I figured it out, and hopefully someone can reference this "fix" in the future.