ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Remote Start Sytem

Old 04-08-13, 09:03 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iDataLink Remote Start for 2008 ES350

Well, I finally decided to get it done. I had the iDataLink module installed in my 2008 ES350. The shop that installed it is Westminster Speed and Sound in Westminster, MD. http://www.wssdriveeasy.com/ The shop was clean, the crew was friendly and professional. The install took about 2:45, as estimated, and cost me $324 total out the door (orig est. $300). The product works excellently as described. I touch "lock, lock, lock" on the Lexus smart key and the car beeps four times and cranks up. All smart key functions continue to work as normal. When I open any door, the car shuts off. The iDataLink module fits up under the dash above the driver's left shin.

If you're looking for an aftermarket remote start for your 2008 Lexus, I recommend the iDataLink. If you're in the DC/MD/Northern VA area, I recommend Westminster Speed and Sound.

Last edited by Lawmen; 04-08-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 02:09 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawmen
Luke at WSS introduced me to a product called the ADS iDataLink module (www.idatalink.com). Luke says (and the iDataLink website supports) that this module will interface with (not bypass) the car's computer to allow a remote start using the OEM key fob. The start procedure is to push the LOCK button 3 times. . . the car will then start and the OEM key fob will continue to function as normal (will unlock doors when you get in the car). The only "but" is that when you open the car door to get in, the engine will shut down and you have to restart as normal (not a big deal to me); also, the engine will shut down after ten minutes (I actually prefer that).
Which one did you go with?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-13, 04:41 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by codejd
I had the iDataLink installed. See my posts of 4/08/13 (post #31) and 2/21/13 (post #24) in this thread.

Last edited by Lawmen; 04-15-13 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Corrected Info
Old 04-17-13, 02:58 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

I had the iDataLink installed. See my posts of 4/08/13 (post #31) and 2/21/13 (post #24) in this thread.
Yeah I saw those but was only curious as to which series you purchased as it seems there are several that work with Toyota/Lexus.

These four look like they work.

Thanks.

Last edited by codejd; 04-17-13 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 08:20 AM
wheinsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I saw those but was only curious as to which series you purchased as it seems there are several that work with Toyota/Lexus.

These four look like they work.

Thanks.
From what I could figure out. You will need the ADS-AL CA (can be found on amazon for $50-60) Then you either need to spend another ~$40.00 for a USB cable to program the module for your car or find a local authorized shop to do the install/programming for you.

It doesn't look too bad to install. I plan on ordering the module and cable from amazon and installing it myself.
Old 04-19-13, 07:37 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wheinsky
From what I could figure out. You will need the ADS-AL CA (can be found on amazon for $50-60) Then you either need to spend another ~$40.00 for a USB cable to program the module for your car or find a local authorized shop to do the install/programming for you.

It doesn't look too bad to install. I plan on ordering the module and cable from amazon and installing it myself.
That's what I needed to know, thanks!
Old 04-22-13, 04:27 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

codejd, now I understand your post. . . sorry 'bout that. Wheinsky is correct. . . the product is the ADS-AL CA.
Old 04-22-13, 02:02 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

codejd, now I understand your post. . . sorry 'bout that. Wheinsky is correct. . . the product is the ADS-AL CA.
Yeah, I thought we just weren't speaking the same language.

In your post #31 you say the install took just under 3 hours and cost you $324, yet wheinsky eludes to (and shows) that you can pick up the module for less than $60. I've glanced over the install .PDF and although I'm no techie, i just question how it could possibly have taken that long.
Old 04-29-13, 05:22 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

i just question how it could possibly have taken that long.
I don't think I could have done it faster. I had some good interactions with the folks at WSS and evaluate them as trustworthy experts. I considered doing the install myself, but decided to have someone with specific experience do it. My installation would probably have been cheaper, but, to me, the risk of causing an electrical problem wasn't worth the potential savings. I assign significant value to having an experienced technician and a warranty.

If you or wheinsky do the install yourself, it would be a good service to the readers of this forum to hear how it went.

Respectfully,

Lawmen

Last edited by Lawmen; 04-29-13 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 08:01 AM
crashman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lawman,
I'm over here in Baltimore and bought my 2012 es from Len Stoler Lexus, so I'm not that far from Westminster Speed and Sound. My question is hows that going to affect your warranty?
Old 04-30-13, 08:30 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crashman
Lawman,
I'm over here in Baltimore and bought my 2012 es from Len Stoler Lexus, so I'm not that far from Westminster Speed and Sound. My question is hows that going to affect your warranty?
Mods voiding warranty is a MYTH! Get that out of your head ASAP!

If there was a failure that you needed warranty work for, they have to prove by FEDERAL law, that your modification caused the failure. If you put in a remote start, and they can prove that it fried the ECU, then fine. But if you install a remote start and your radiator blows a hole in it, they have to fix it BY LAW.

As to the previous question about install time, it's probably because they've never done an install on an ES350 and there was a learning curve. Unfortunately, the customer usually has to pay for that learning curve.
Old 04-30-13, 10:23 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_350
Unfortunately, the customer usually has to pay for that learning curve.
Not if they want my business again, they don't. But that's just my thinking; there are plenty of other places that could do it for a reasonable sum.
Old 05-06-13, 04:53 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crashman
Lawman,
crashman,

The fact is, regardless of assurances, laws, etc., we won't know how my dealer will react to a problem until I have one. Same with WSS. Could I end up with an electrical problem, a bunch of finger-pointing, and no satisfactory resolution? Sure. All I have to go on for now are the reassuring comments made by the dealer and the vendor. My dealer has not disappointed me yet, and WSS seems like a trustworthy shop. I assessed the risk as acceptable.

Your dealer undoubtedly has a vendor they work with to do aftermarket mods of this nature. You could see if the dealer could have that vendor install the idatalink at the dealer and confirm that the install would carry the Lexus service warranty. My dealer offered that deal, but WSS quote was $300 less than the other vendor's.
Old 03-02-14, 05:12 PM
ShogunSTL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating whether I want one. Was gonna try to get the dealer to do it when I bought it, but mine was a trade in and they weren't a lexus dealer so they were pretty hesitant to do anything to it.
Old 03-02-14, 06:23 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to wait until the warranty expires and then to install it. It would just be way too easy, if something goes wrong, to blame it on the remote starter having been installed. I'm still disappointed my 2012 ES didn't come with one or that it wasn't an option, particularly with this grueling winter. But come 2016 I will be a much happier (and warmer) camper!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start Sytem