ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES 350 headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 07:47 AM
jlopes888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chbow
As others have said in this thread and many others, it is likely just the bulbs. The prices you got sound ridiculous unless there is something wrong with the housing or ballast and I don't see any reason why you should assume that. Again sat stated here, you can buy bulbs for less than $50 a piece and change them yourself. Good luck

ETA - here's a link of a example from amazon Amazon.com: Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive
Update on my headlights. The replacements I put in were to high in the light frequency range 10000k and the lights were too dim for rural neighborhoods. So I bought a pair of Xenons for about $40 and put them in. This time, it took me all of 30 mins or less and the cheap xenons ahve not had a problem since. Worth taking the time to do it yourself or find a friend to help.
Old 06-04-14, 12:50 PM
tscalesy
Driver School Candidate

Good info jlopes....I am looking to change the headlights in my 07...looking to get the 6000K lights but what under impression I had to purchase the entire kit, but after further review it appears I just need the bulbs which is great news.
Old 07-27-14, 09:50 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
If you immediately turn your headlights off and back on does the passenger light come back on? If so, you have a bad bulb. It's easy to replace yourself. The part will set you back $240 though (OEM through the dealer).

1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.

Dreyfuss thanks for the explanation. I changed mine on the DRIVER'S side today and didn't need to take out anything else (ie battery / fuse box) except for the compartmental plastic covers. Your instructions were very straightforward but it was definitely easier said than done. But now that its done thanks!!!! It took me about 15-20 minutes to do the job. The hardest part is step #6 to get it to stay in place and step #8 took me a while because one of these extraneous metal clips was bent.
Old 10-01-14, 03:23 PM
Pakistan65
Driver School Candidate

Default Right Side Head Light is Intermittent in behavior

Originally Posted by garsarno
Saw second E350 with one headlight out in span of month (different color than first). Seems there is a quality issue here as the only vehicle I have seen with a consistent headlight problem is Chevrolet / GMC pickup trucks. And this is in small city of Wilkes Barre, PA.
I have the same problem, purchased a clean 2007 ES350 in Aug/14 and as mentioned by others every time I turn the head lights ON either manual or Auto both right and left side will work but after some time may be 5 minutes or sometimes 20 minutes or sometimes never the right side head light will go OFF. If switch is turned OFF and turned ON again, both lights will be ON and the process repeats itself.

Can anybody identify the problem and give a solution.

Thanks.

Noshirhttps://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Old 10-01-14, 03:25 PM
Pakistan65
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem, purchased a clean 2007 ES350 in Aug/14 and as mentioned by others every time I turn the head lights ON either manual or Auto both right and left side will work but after some time may be 5 minutes or sometimes 20 minutes or sometimes never the right side head light will go OFF. If switch is turned OFF and turned ON again, both lights will be ON and the process repeats itself.

Can anybody identify the problem and give a solution.

Thanks.

Noshir
Old 11-08-14, 05:53 PM
bujan350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Hlights are fixed

I bought a pack of Toshiba D4S Xenon HID Bulbs 4300K 35W and they have been working just fine. I decided to change both to get new ones on both sides. I just youtube'd how to switch them and that was it for this problem.
Old 11-24-14, 06:22 AM
bobomema
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlight wiring diagram

I have a 2007 ES 350 which I had to have the condensing coil replaced. Every since then the right side headlight will go off but if you turn the headlights off then back on it will work again. I have traded the bulbs from the left to the right but the problem continues. Where does the wire have a junction that might be loose?
Old 03-05-15, 08:07 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

My HID died recently and I used the excellent Drefus writeup to change it out, thanks again.

and can i link to a useful picture of the metal clips which make it obvious how they work. This pic was stolen from another thread in CL but cant find it atm
Attached Thumbnails 2007 ES 350 headlight problem-dsc00811.jpg   2007 ES 350 headlight problem-dsc00814.jpg  
Old 12-09-15, 09:12 PM
Laine6845
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced headlights

I replaced both headlights after the passenger side started going off and on for a couple months. Then both started going out same time. So I replaced both now after a month it is happening again. Could this be the bulbs again or the ballast?
Old 12-15-15, 07:38 PM
jlopes888
Driver School Candidate

I think it is the type of hid bulbs you are buying. Similar experience until I installed hid from AGT - advanced German tech.
Old 12-21-15, 08:41 AM
RestonGal
Driver School Candidate

Default Unsatisfactory ending

Originally Posted by chbow
As others have said in this thread and many others, it is likely just the bulbs. The prices you got sound ridiculous unless there is something wrong with the housing or ballast and I don't see any reason why you should assume that. Again sat stated here, you can buy bulbs for less than $50 a piece and change them yourself. Good luck

ETA - here's a link of a example from amazon Amazon.com: Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive

I bought the bulbs on line and took them & the instructions on how to install from this forum to my neighborhood auto dealer that has been servicing or cars since 1980. They tried to install them and told me that the plastic housing was so deteriorated that they didn't want to take the responsibility of accident further damaging the housing. They theorized that the high heat from the bulb was the cause of the plastic breaking down. They also noted that the gear that allowed the lights to move sideways as the car turned was so deteriorated, it no longer worked. I had forgotten that was a feature with the car.

Half a year later - the lights finally died and I took the car in to the Lexus dealership. It cost $750 to have the two light bulbs replaced. When I talked to the service rep, he insisted all they did was replace the bulbs. I had assumed the plastic housing was being replaced, too, for such an obscene price. He said nothing was wrong with the housing. Who do I believe?? Either way, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

BTW - my mileage is only 69,500+. I love the car, can't stand the company.
Old 12-24-15, 01:58 AM
Lexus081
Driver

i too have been experiencing this same problem. but my driver's side headlight goes out sometimes, and sometimes comes back on. not sure
The following users liked this post:
ricktek7 (12-11-16)
Old 12-24-15, 02:02 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by RestonGal
I bought the bulbs on line and took them & the instructions on how to install from this forum to my neighborhood auto dealer that has been servicing or cars since 1980. They tried to install them and told me that the plastic housing was so deteriorated that they didn't want to take the responsibility of accident further damaging the housing. They theorized that the high heat from the bulb was the cause of the plastic breaking down. They also noted that the gear that allowed the lights to move sideways as the car turned was so deteriorated, it no longer worked. I had forgotten that was a feature with the car.

Half a year later - the lights finally died and I took the car in to the Lexus dealership. It cost $750 to have the two light bulbs replaced. When I talked to the service rep, he insisted all they did was replace the bulbs. I had assumed the plastic housing was being replaced, too, for such an obscene price. He said nothing was wrong with the housing. Who do I believe?? Either way, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

BTW - my mileage is only 69,500+. I love the car, can't stand the company.
so you're saying for me to replace the bulbs its going to cost $750 ? wtf are these lexus bulbs made out of ? platinum? diamonds? onyx?
Old 12-24-15, 03:38 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

Take them from ebay, for $30-40.
Old 12-10-16, 04:06 AM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus es350 HID low beam headlights SOLVED !

Instead of delving into the many complications of the HID lighting problems which I have encountered, I'll get directly to the solution that worked for me. I purchased "a pair" of genuine OEM Toshiba Harison bulbs from EBay (see link below) and had them installed for $37. Labor was 25 minutes. Do not go to dealer as they will charge criminally insane prices for bulbs and labor. The lighting is now uniform, bright and stable. Note: Lexus dealers in the U.S.A. have switched to these superior Toshiba Harison bulbs (Made in Japan) as a performance upgrade to the Philips brand. I purchased these genuine OEM bulbs from this guy at an excellent price, Please paste the link into your browser:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172393075158?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Important: Get (2) matching bulbs for consistent and trouble free lighting.

This solution will be successful unless you have something weird like wiring or ballast issues which is rare.

Last edited by ricktek7; 12-12-16 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 ES 350 headlight problem