ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Fly Audio unit INSTALLED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 06:21 AM
flipp4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, I think the bluetooth sucks big time for the fly audio unit, and I also hate the clock and how it doesnt show up in every screen. Theres another guy on here who is installing an aftermarket double din with an instalation kit on his ES350, im waiting to hear his results and who knows, I might turn around and sell the fly audio and go with a set up like his.
Old 08-28-11, 12:48 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea..that would be interesitng to see too
Old 09-04-11, 08:03 AM
sdman
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS Antenna

Can you explain in more detail about installing the GPS antenna and where it mounts?

sam
Old 09-06-11, 05:38 PM
hahnt
Driver School Candidate

Default FLy Audio for ES350

Thanks everyone for the reviews and feedback.. There seem to be multiple pricing and vendors. Any recommendations, and what did you pay (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 09-07-11, 06:33 AM
flipp4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdman
Can you explain in more detail about installing the GPS antenna and where it mounts?

sam
It's just a small magnetic square, I ran the wire under the glove box and out the door, I mounted it on the front passenger pillar
Old 09-11-11, 07:40 AM
sdman
Driver School Candidate

Default Different Prices

Yes!, can someone explain different pricing from different vendors and distributors?
I have seen prices from $899 to $1995 for the Flyaudio nav.

There must be quite a markup for this unit.
Old 09-11-11, 08:06 AM
hahnt
Driver School Candidate

Default Fly Audio vs Aftermarket

Check out Robert_J's article yesterday about the double-DIN adapter that allows you to use any aftermarket stereo that fits. There are pictures of the adapter itself, but not a final installed product (yet). The adapter sells through an eBay vendor for less than $125.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html

Last night I priced a Pioneer unit with DVD, XM, full iPhone integration, Navigation, etc through Amazon in the price range of $1000-1100. With the necessary adapters, this unit retains all factory steering wheel controls and works with factory amps and speakers.

After reading all of the Fly Audio articles written in this forum it looks like most of the owners are "ok" with Fly audio's shortcomings like poor Bluetooth, no XM, clock issues, foreign language prompts, etc. There is a vendor on eBay with 20 some-odd reviews who is selling the Fly Audio for $899, but if you look on Fly Audio's website, they do not support internet re-sellers and it would be likely they would not honor it's factory warranty.

Robert_J is supposed to post installed pictures soon in the attached forum, I would hold off to see what this option looks like. It may be worth it, it depends on if you are looking for the complete factory look (Fly Audio) or if you can sacrifice a little of that for the entire package.

My one regret about purchasing my '09 ES350 is the stereo. If I can get Mark Levinson-like sound with the functionality of the original GPS, this may be the way to go.

Keep posting everyone - these forums have been very helpful!
Old 09-11-11, 08:15 AM
hahnt
Driver School Candidate

(See post above) and I forgot to mention the Pandora app on the Pioneer unit that allows you to stream live Pandora when your iPhone is plugged in, with album art and artist information on the screen. Very cool! The Pioneer will calibrate its own EQ settings based on the acoustic properties of your car with the use of a $20 microphone. There is also a $15 PAC device that will bypass the brake sensor and will allow full functionality of GPS and DVD viewing while on the go. You know, just in case you had a boat or RV I'm defintely not advocating driver use of these functions.

Another shortcoming of the Fly Audio is that it does not have pre-outs for adding subwoofers and other amplifiers.
Old 02-15-14, 06:01 PM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipp4
Well if anyone has any questions or coments i'de like to hear them.
Hi Flipp4 - Are you still active in the forum? if yes, can you let me know how is your experience with the Flyaudio unit you have installed in your ES350 car after 2 years? I am actively looking to buy an unit, most of the places it is sold out or not available reaching out to Flyaudio CS waiting for their reply.
Old 02-17-14, 05:28 AM
limonade
Driver School Candidate

Default Air bag Mil on dashboard on Lexus es 350 2007 after C7008le nav system installed

Did y get any MIL lights during the installation? Limonade

Well I finally installed a fly audio nav unit in the es350 tonight and heres my list of pros and cons

Pros
-Complete factory look
-keep the steering wheel remotes
-lots of options and very easy too navigate through menus
-navigation is very easy to use and read
-ipod, rearview camera, aux, rear monitor, USB, and SD card inputs
-6 sec start up time from time start button is pushed.
-original radio isnt dead underneath, still works as 6 disc changer and am/fm radio (think of the screen as an another display for the radio for those operations)
-very easy to install, all plug and play, only need 2 sockets, plastic panel remover, and a phillips screwdriver.

CONS
-bluetooth not as good as factory, unable to use factory after instalation
-to turn on the ac/heat you have to hit one button to get to the control screen then you can control everything as you normally would
-need to route the aftermarket GPS antenna outside the car (hardest part of the install)
-doesnt have the options a normal double din nav unit would have (button color, 24 band EQ, sat radio) stuff like that

Over the past 6 years i've owned 3 diff aftermarket nav units, clarion, kenwood, and pioneer. Comparing these to the fly audio I'll give it a 8 out of 10 rating.
I have never used a lexus factory nav so I dont know those differences.

Well if anyone has any questions or coments i'de like to hear them.
Old 02-23-14, 06:43 AM
limonade
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

My es350 is an 08, and yes the factory radio still controls the volume, it still does the bass and trebble and that stuff too. It still does all the fm and am. I never had factory xm radio, so im not sure if I could even have it now. As for the AC/heat controls, im gonna try raising and lowering the temp to see if it controls the fan speed, I havent realy messed with that yet. Also when I did the instal I mounted the Ipod hookup in the ashtray, I just slide my phone in and out and it hooks up to the radio. I also bought another set of Ipod A/V output cables and mounted them in the ashtray as well, on top of the radio ipod input. So now I can watch videos from my ipod on the tv.b Also, unlike alot of other factory nav/dvd units, there are no extra wires to hook up to enable the tv use while driving, I thought that was pretty sweet too.
Hi flip, have y encountered any air bag or another mil light on the dashboard? My c7008le Roadrover unit installed on Lexus es350 created air bag malfunction mil light on the dash, which can not be reset- even the dealer could not do it...limonade