Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 06:49 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticketed

After 49 months of ownership I got my first ticket in my ES350. Boooo

Anyway, got me to thinking about speed limits and the rules of the road so I thought I'd start a thread to see what other ES350 owners perceive about the feel of their car at speed...? I personally feel if it were legal I would set the cruise control to 100mph and just relax.

(now standing on a soap box)
I feel like the car is so quiet at 65 MPH that it's like you're almost not moving. I get bored and distract myself from the boredom with activities other then actually driving the car - I think I'm not alone in this. I believe the intent of the speed limit is to suggest the maximum safe speed one can drive, if I'm correct in this assumption then too a speed that's too low could have the same deleterious effects. Another observation is that in some congested areas trucks are not allowed in the left lane. I presume this is to eliminate the possibility that a slow moving vehicle would create further congestion problems. Again, if my assumption is true why is it that just anyone with less then 18 wheels can use the far left lane? In summary I think the speed limit in the left lane should be no less then 100MPH and you have to have a good car to use the left lane.

(Back off soap box and back to reality)
My ticket was for 83 MPH in a 60 MPH zone. I know I deserved it - was having too much of a good time on the highway. Speeding ticket = $236 Boooo!

If you read this whole thing -thanks.
Old 06-16-11, 09:18 PM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by safford197
I feel like the car is so quiet at 65 MPH that it's like you're almost not moving. I get bored and distract myself from the boredom with activities other then actually driving the car - I think I'm not alone in this.
I suggest you trade in your smooth cruiser for a rattle-trap that will challenge your attention and keep it where it belongs -- 100% on the task at hand, DRIVING!

If you are correct in not being alone in this feeling, than I am now even more concerned for my survival on the roads!

(Also, you may want to pay attention to the difference between "then" and "than".)

I believe the intent of the speed limit is to suggest the maximum safe speed one can drive, if I'm correct in this assumption then too a speed that's too low could have the same deleterious effects...In summary I think the speed limit in the left lane should be no less then 100MPH and you have to have a good car to use the left lane.
If you really need more speed, please pay for time on closed tracks or move to Germany. Just please don't drive anywhere near me.
Old 06-17-11, 12:09 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

true..
the car is powerful and can go to 100 in a jiff.. and we dont feel the road really.. but the COPS do.. ha ha.. I love the car.. merging /cutting. it does whatever I want it to. and this is an ES 6 cyl... only ..!!
Old 06-17-11, 02:18 PM
safford197
Driver

Bobsobi: That was my exact thought - get a junk car to beat around town to avoid tickets. As far as distracted driving - do you watch the news or just live in a small town? No insult intended but seriously the idea of distracted driving is at the forefront of law makers and the media's thoughts.

I also ride a bike and I can tell you anecdotally I observe 9 out of 10 people driving distracted. Google "distracted driving" and hit the images tab, you'll get hundreds of thousands of pics proving that point.

However, all that is off topic for my post. The point of my post, was to solicit responses on the idea that the ES is smooth and speed limits are too low...

Cheers
Old 06-17-11, 02:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I agree with you, some of the speed limits are too low in some areas. It's so easy to go above them when you've got a car that rides as smoothly as a Lexus. At the same time, if we raised the speed limit in Dallas, we'd probably all get killed. Texas roads are a dangerous place sometimes.

Your ticket wasn't as high as I thought it would be. At least you got to have fun. Sometimes it's worth it.
Old 06-17-11, 02:37 PM
safford197
Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
Your ticket wasn't as high as I thought it would be. At least you got to have fun. Sometimes it's worth it.
Thanks Kira, actually after having just moved to Texas from the mid-atlantic region I thought it was a bit of a bargain too. I e-mailed the court house through their web site and got approval for probation - one more reason to love Texas!

In general Texas speed limits are good, just on I410 (loop around SA) it's only 60 MPH, everywhere else I go it's 65 to 75. I heard I10 will raise the speed limit from 80 to 85 MPH between San Angelo and El Paso. And another reason to love Texas.
Old 06-17-11, 03:26 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Texas does have the mini-Audubon. I love it.
Old 06-18-11, 05:46 AM
Macklin
Advanced

safford, I can appreciate your rant. But you just gotta know you are tempting fate at 23 over. You are lucky to get probation! In Virginia you get slapped with reckless with that ticket.

I got a fast boat for this reason...no speed limits on the open water.
Old 06-18-11, 09:43 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damnn $236???thats a lot!!!!
Old 06-18-11, 06:22 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

After 49 months of ownership I got my first ticket in my ES350. Boooo

Anyway, got me to thinking about speed limits and the rules of the road so I thought I'd start a thread to see what other ES350 owners perceive about the feel of their car at speed...? I personally feel if it were legal I would set the cruise control to 100mph and just relax.

(now standing on a soap box)
I feel like the car is so quiet at 65 MPH that it's like you're almost not moving. I get bored and distract myself from the boredom with activities other then actually driving the car - I think I'm not alone in this. I believe the intent of the speed limit is to suggest the maximum safe speed one can drive, if I'm correct in this assumption then too a speed that's too low could have the same deleterious effects. Another observation is that in some congested areas trucks are not allowed in the left lane. I presume this is to eliminate the possibility that a slow moving vehicle would create further congestion problems. Again, if my assumption is true why is it that just anyone with less then 18 wheels can use the far left lane? In summary I think the speed limit in the left lane should be no less then 100MPH and you have to have a good car to use the left lane.

(Back off soap box and back to reality)
My ticket was for 83 MPH in a 60 MPH zone. I know I deserved it - was having too much of a good time on the highway. Speeding ticket = $236 Boooo!

If you read this whole thing -thanks.
Yeah I feel for you. I remember my last ticket back in 1964 where I got it for 4 in the front seat of my 63 Corvette. Cost me $40 and I was pissed. Hey good luck.
Old 06-18-11, 06:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Yeah I feel for you. I remember my last ticket back in 1964 where I got it for 4 in the front seat of my 63 Corvette. Cost me $40 and I was pissed. Hey good luck.
In todays dollars that $40 is more than safford paid.
Old 06-18-11, 06:57 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Kira, actually after having just moved to Texas from the mid-atlantic region I thought it was a bit of a bargain too. I e-mailed the court house through their web site and got approval for probation - one more reason to love Texas!

In general Texas speed limits are good, just on I410 (loop around SA) it's only 60 MPH, everywhere else I go it's 65 to 75. I heard I10 will raise the speed limit from 80 to 85 MPH between San Angelo and El Paso. And another reason to love Texas.
Man the highest speed limit in FL is 70. But on major Interstates at night you can get a way with going 90-100. I dont know if I was just lucky but every time I drive long distances at night, I set the CC to 100 and I never saw cops on the shoulder. But you guys in Texas are really lucky.
Old 06-19-11, 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Note to self: When in FL keep an eye out for a GS300 with the cruise set at 100 driving on the expressway/interstates at night!