ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Just Water to Clean the Interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 07:41 PM
Humaira
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Water to Clean the Interior

Yesterday I received an eNewsletter from Lexus of Nashville. One of the articles that caught my attention was about cleaning and taking care of automobile interiors. This care guide talked about using a well-wrung out microfiber cloth in just water to clean the interior and follow it up by drying immediately with another dry microfiber cloth. For the interior leather, the article called for the use of five percent mixture of wool detergent. In my opinion, water will dull and eventually crack leather. I would like some feedback from the esteemed members of this forum about water and wool detergent as the only cleaning agents for taking care of the interiors of Lexus cars.

ES 350 Sapphire Black--Mine
RX 300 God--His
Old 05-01-11, 02:10 AM
Ochasey
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for asking this I just got home from an overseas tour and my leather looks dingy to me. The carpet looks like kids were taking turns kicking doors on way out if the car. ;( I have only been home for 72hrs and I looked into to getting rid of it. The carpet looks shabby a bit shabby for my taste I am planning to buy the replacement mats. I have the light color flooring.. Was going to have professionally detailed but some one said they use many harsh chemicals when treating your leather. What should I do?
Old 05-01-11, 06:54 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Welcome Back!

A professional detailer in your area could surely make your car looks good again. I would certainly ask them for assurance or references first but I would expect that they not use harmful chemicals. There are some detailers on this forum or hopefully someone will come in with a referral in your area. You might even check with your Lexus dealer.

And I can relate to your concern as I have seen "non professional" detailers at car washes etc. just ruin the finish on a car.

Dave Mac
Old 05-02-11, 02:00 AM
Ochasey
Driver School Candidate

Dave my sentiments exactly, I am currently in Shreveport / Bossier La.. I have drove to the areas leaxus dealer. They have a second party car Detailer prices wasn't to bad.I was under the impression that Lexus would have their own detailing department but guess it is not a need for it..
OAN has anyone used the Lexus products that they sell at Lexus.
Old 05-02-11, 03:13 PM
safford197
Driver

Next time you are in the dealer check out their accessories store (if they have one) if not I believe you can ask a service rep for help. I have a the Lexus leather cleaner and Lexus leather conditioner - it does a great job, smells good, and feels good on your hands as you're applying it (Has lanolin in it). My '07 ES350 looks hardly worn.
Old 05-03-11, 07:12 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Woollite diluted 10:1 is a very good leather cleaner. Use a spray bottle to mist it on, and then wipe. Using a bucket of clean water and a fresh microfiber towel, wipe up any soap residue on the seats. Finish by drying the seats once clear of all soap.