ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2011 ES sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 01:58 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the ML leaves something to be desired. I have a 95 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the Bose system and whenever I drive it I notice how much better it sounds than my 2007 ML... this is comparing FM radio... haven't compared CDs or MP3s...
Old 04-04-11, 01:42 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think sound is in the ear of the beholder. The sound system in my 09 ES is great IMHO. I have a stack of music CD's that I play all the time. So, I'm using the system a lot. I don't 'hear' a problem.
Old 04-04-11, 07:49 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I think sound is in the ear of the beholder. The sound system in my 09 ES is great IMHO. I have a stack of music CD's that I play all the time. So, I'm using the system a lot. I don't 'hear' a problem.
There's nothing really "wrong" with the ES's base sound system - it's just when comparing it to high end systems in other vehicles.

If your other car is, for instance, an Audi A8 with the Bang & Olufsen system, I don't think you could tell me you honestly say they both sound the same.
Old 04-04-11, 02:25 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
There's nothing really "wrong" with the ES's base sound system - it's just when comparing it to high end systems in other vehicles.

If your other car is, for instance, an Audi A8 with the Bang & Olufsen system, I don't think you could tell me you honestly say they both sound the same.

I agree the Audi does sound a bit tinny.
Old 04-04-11, 06:41 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I agree the Audi does sound a bit tinny.
I honestly have no idea what it sounds like - I just remember seeing a fully loaded A8L on the showroom floor and it included that stereo. After seeing how much extra $$ they wanted for the B&O system - I could only assume it would sound pretty amazing.

But I guess you know what happens when you assume......
Old 04-04-11, 10:01 PM
davidL2004
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, for people who care about sound quality to go along with Lexus quiet and smooth ride, it is really disappointing. I remembered when ES300 and IS300 first came out, the stock stereo was really impressive. At the time LS400 has one of the best sound system in the world with the Nakamich and later on Mark Levinson.

However, for now, try to find a LEXUS with Mark Levinson...almost impossible.
Even if I am willing to pay for it. Seriously, it is "little things" like this that is going to make Lexus looses its edge compared to easily accesible Infiniti(Bose),
Acura(ELS) or Merecedes(Bose) or BMW(Harman Kardon) which I now drive.

For now, I will say Bye bye to Lexus until a decent stock stereo or upgrade stereo easily accessible. If ES Ultra Luxury(ML) is easily attanable, I would have already bought one.
Ordering one with much less discount and have to wait is just no my style. Its a pity that Lexus makes such high quality interior for its cars...the missing touch is a quality
stereo like Bose, Harman Kardon or Mark Levinson( if I can find one in a ES without special order and wait 2 month).
Old 04-05-11, 06:01 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by davidL2004
Honestly, for people who care about sound quality to go along with Lexus quiet and smooth ride, it is really disappointing. I remembered when ES300 and IS300 first came out, the stock stereo was really impressive. At the time LS400 has one of the best sound system in the world with the Nakamich and later on Mark Levinson.

Even if I am willing to pay for it. Seriously, it is "little things" like this that is going to make Lexus looses its edge compared to easily accesible Infiniti(Bose),

For now, I will say Bye bye to Lexus until a decent stock stereo or upgrade stereo easily accessible. If ES Ultra Luxury(ML) is easily attanable, I would have already bought one.
Ordering one with much less discount and have to wait is just no my style. Its a pity that Lexus makes such high quality interior for its cars...the missing touch is a quality
stereo like Bose, Harman Kardon or Mark Levinson( if I can find one in a ES without special order and wait 2 month).
Thanks for stopping buy and good luck on your quest.
Old 04-06-11, 08:37 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davidL2004

I agree the stock stereo in the ES is subpar. However, I don't agree that the Mark Levinson audio option is "unattainable" w/o special order. When I was shopping for a new car last year, I saw at least two fully loaded '10 ES350s (w/ ML audio) on the lot at a local VA dealership. A few years ago when I bought an ES330, I specifically requested the ML audio, and the dealer was able to locate one at another dealership 250 miles away and have it shipped to the local dealer -- all within 2-3 weeks from the day I first set foot in the salesman's cubicle.
Old 04-07-11, 08:01 AM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 350 sound system

I have never read in the Lexus ES 350 Forums the following comments concerning how to improve the sound quality on the standard Lexus Es 350 sound system:
To make a major improvement in the sound of the standard Lexus speakers, perform the following procedure.
On the Nav screen under the Audio setting, look for the SOUND box on the lower right corner of the screen. Open the box and slide the 3 bars on Treble, Middle and Bass range to the right to max them out. The Middle range slide will dramatically increase the quality of the sound, although the other 2 will also improve the sound. You will be very happy with the results and will instantly hear the difference in the sound quality.
Old 04-11-11, 04:57 PM
luvlexus16
Driver School Candidate

Hello all,
I too have a few questions about the ML sound system. I am considering purchasing a 2011 es 350 savannah metallic, which is practically fully loaded but it does not have the ML system or panoramic sunroof. I am curious as to what the Mark Levinson system sounds like? Because, my local dealer(s) do not have any equipped with it. Was it worth the extra 2-3k in your opinion? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-16-11, 08:54 AM
parman
Driver School Candidate

I special ordered mine to get the ML system. Waited 120 days, picked up on the 2nd of April. It is a Matador Red Ultra Lux loaded with everything but Lip Spoiler (Can't get that if you have UL because shark fin is on glass roof and small additional antenna is on trunk lid). When I heard the standard sound system, it was a deal breaker in my opinion. I got the ML package and absolutely love it. It was worth the extra cost to me. I didn't think I would like the Panoramic roof, but it looks sharp with my Matador Red with 35% tinted windows.
Also, the Radar Cruise control is great.
Old 04-20-11, 07:56 PM
luvlexus16
Driver School Candidate

Parman
I have sat in cars with the panoramic roof, and I have to say it is quite nice. But I have a feeling that my dealer wont get too many es(s) with the gold color in. Also I dont really want to special order one. Also have you ever heard the Harman Kardon system used in Bmw's? That is what I currently own and it is an amazing sound-system. I am wondering if Lexus would be able to install one at the dealer? Technician?
Old 04-21-11, 01:15 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MadMax96

LOL, well you got me there....I heard the sound system of a Maybach at ATL auto show a while back, and it was simply awesome, and I'm sure the Audi is better than the Lexus, I guess what I'm saying that for me it's ok and not a show stopper, but it could be better....for the money we pay...
Old 04-21-11, 02:03 AM
joseflugo
Driver School Candidate

its better that when you have a good sound system you have a car which also has a sound proof door...otherwise its worthless..I installed one system on my last car and it was useless...wasted my money
Old 04-21-11, 06:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by luvlexus16
Parman
I have sat in cars with the panoramic roof, and I have to say it is quite nice. But I have a feeling that my dealer wont get too many es(s) with the gold color in. Also I dont really want to special order one. Also have you ever heard the Harman Kardon system used in Bmw's? That is what I currently own and it is an amazing sound-system. I am wondering if Lexus would be able to install one at the dealer? Technician?
It might be more cost effficient to shop around for a different brand of new car with a sound system that meets your needs vs. installing a new system. I'm sure it would add considerably to the cost of a new ES and it would be hard to recoup any of it when the car is sold.

Quick Reply: 2011 ES sound system