ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Do these recommended service items seem reasonable??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 06:20 PM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do these recommended service items seem reasonable??

I own a 2007 ES350 with 67,000 miles which I purchased new. I have had all service done at the Lexus dealer mostly because we prepaid for service at the time of purchase. That prepaid service has now expired. We just had the Lexus in for service and the Lexus dealer recommends: 1. Front brakes at 3mm brake job - $280, 2. Brake fluid flush - $139.95 3. Power steering fluid exchange - $139.95, 4. A/C cabin filter replacement - $59.95,
5. Air Filter replacement - $49.95 for a total of $669.80. Are they just trying to get even with me all at once for having all the prepaid service?? I have never really heard that brake fluid ever needed flushing or power steering fluid replacement? I can purchase a STP air filer for $12.59 and a STP Kleene A/C Cabin filter for $13.99 from my local auto zone auto parts store. As far as $280 brake job - I do not know if they meant just the front brakes or all 4 wheels. How does all this look and what would you do in my place? I have read up on the A/C Cabin filter and engine air filter and I believe I can replace both of those without too much trouble.
Old 02-08-11, 06:36 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You are correct, that is a little steep if you can do a few things yourself. $280 for what is probably front brakes only is not bad if they are worn down to 3mm - is this your first time to replace the front pads? Some manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid as it does take on moisture but living in Arizona I have never done it and wouldn't unless you plan to keep the car for a real long time. Power steering fluid exchange I would pass on as well. And I would purchase and install the two filters myself. This should get your cost down to something you can live with.

And never let your dealer replace a tailight bulb - I saw them quote a customer $49 for this the other day.

Dave Mac
Old 02-08-11, 06:59 PM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
You are correct, that is a little steep if you can do a few things yourself. $280 for what is probably front brakes only is not bad if they are worn down to 3mm - is this your first time to replace the front pads? Some manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid as it does take on moisture but living in Arizona I have never done it and wouldn't unless you plan to keep the car for a real long time. Power steering fluid exchange I would pass on as well. And I would purchase and install the two filters myself. This should get your cost down to something you can live with.

And never let your dealer replace a tailight bulb - I saw them quote a customer $49 for this the other day.

Dave Mac
The brake pads have never been replaced. At irontode.com a site recommended by a forum member I/we can purchase actual Lexus OEM parts - 17801-31120 Engine air filter $16.80, 87139-YZZ08 Interior cabin a/c filter $20.00, front brake pads Code: 04465-06100 Price:$45.00 and if needed front rotor (each): Code: 43512-33130 Price: $78.85. I am certain the Lexus dealer quote does not include replacing the front rotors and if it actually does then I would let them do the brake job. At this point and time we expect on keeping this Lexus a long time!! We have a 7 Year 100,000 mile mechanical breakdown insurance policy through Geico.
Old 02-08-11, 07:04 PM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Default Registered member and still ads?

How many others perform simple work on their own Lexus?
Old 02-08-11, 07:06 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be very careful with the brake service as the cost of turning the rotors can be better put towards new rotors. I would definitely use the OEM brake pads and rotors as they seem to last a pretty long time. I would also do the Power steering and brake flush since you want to keep it a long time.

The filters like Dave Mac said, you can do yourself.
Old 02-08-11, 08:53 PM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miltonlin
Be very careful with the brake service as the cost of turning the rotors can be better put towards new rotors. I would definitely use the OEM brake pads and rotors as they seem to last a pretty long time. I would also do the Power steering and brake flush since you want to keep it a long time.

The filters like Dave Mac said, you can do yourself.
Thanks. Actually I have never heard of power steering and brake system flush being needed in a vehicle and I have owned quite a few over the years including a previous Lexus? If the rotors are not warped (unlikely) and not grooved (no sound of scraping yet and brake pad has made no noise) and no visible signs of groving) then most likely the rotors should be fine. There should be a warning sensor on the brake pads if/when they are at the point of wearing into the rotor. Actually the brake pads have been replaced. My son installed a pair. He was a former auto mechanic although not for Lexus. Of course getting him to work on my vehicles is a real chore. Thanks for your input but I still can't get over the request on the power steering and brake fluid.
Old 02-09-11, 04:43 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Originally Posted by ezzrider
Thanks. Actually I have never heard of power steering and brake system flush being needed in a vehicle and I have owned quite a few over the years including a previous Lexus? If the rotors are not warped (unlikely) and not grooved (no sound of scraping yet and brake pad has made no noise) and no visible signs of groving) then most likely the rotors should be fine. There should be a warning sensor on the brake pads if/when they are at the point of wearing into the rotor. Actually the brake pads have been replaced. My son installed a pair. He was a former auto mechanic although not for Lexus. Of course getting him to work on my vehicles is a real chore. Thanks for your input but I still can't get over the request on the power steering and brake fluid.

I can tell you that Lexus or any brake shop will recommend that the rotors be turned because they will have a lip on them at the outer edge. The problem with that is that in almost all situations where the rotors are now thinner, they will warp. I would ignore the recommendation to flush the brake and power steering. I would go to a Toyota dealer and get a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-09-11, 06:30 AM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezzrider
I just traded in an '07 BMW 530i on my new '11 ES350. It is required maintenance on a Bimmer to flush and change the brake fluid every two years, regardless of miles.
Just bringing this up to show that brake fluid service is not unusual.
Pete.
Old 02-09-11, 06:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by petiepye
I just traded in an '07 BMW 530i on my new '11 ES350. It is required maintenance on a Bimmer to flush and change the brake fluid every two years, regardless of miles.
Just bringing this up to show that brake fluid service is not unusual.
Pete.
Yes it is not unusual. I think it's recommended by Lexus at the 30k and 60k services.

It's up to the owner whether or not to have it done. It can't hurt, if you don't mind spending the money.
Old 02-09-11, 08:24 AM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jimbo68
I can tell you that Lexus or any brake shop will recommend that the rotors be turned because they will have a lip on them at the outer edge. The problem with that is that in almost all situations where the rotors are now thinner, they will warp. I would ignore the recommendation to flush the brake and power steering. I would go to a Toyota dealer and get a quote. You might be pleasantly surprised.
I contacted the Toyata dealer which is located about one mile down the same street from the Lexus dealer. Toyata prices - Brake Fluid replacement/flush $99.95 - Lexus dealer price $139.95, Toyota dealer powersteering flush - $119.95 - Lexus dealer price $139.95. Lexus uses a Toyota part number for the brake and powersteering fluids. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-09-11, 08:30 AM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes it is not unusual. I think it's recommended by Lexus at the 30k and 60k services.

It's up to the owner whether or not to have it done. It can't hurt, if you don't mind spending the money.
Yep now that I checked - the Lexus maintenance schedule does recommend brake fluid replacement at 30,000 and 60,000 miles and power steering fluid flush at 60,000 if you do towing. I also own a 2008 diesel Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 pickup truck that weighs 8,000 lbs. I check the F250's recommended maintenance schedule out to 150,000 miles and nowhere does it recommend a fluid flush or exchange for either the brake or power steering. Why does a Lexus ES350 need this and not an 8,000 lbs pickup truck? Are Fords Superior to Lexus? I did not think so but maybe I am wrong?
Old 02-09-11, 07:56 PM
Diogenes
Rookie

Somewhere in Lexus land there is a minimum spec for rotor thickness. This is a spec for the rotors, not the minimum pad thickness. If you're approaching the minimum, get new rotors. Most formulations of brake fluid are hygroscopic, meaning that they will absorb moisture from the atmosphere over time. Most auto manufacturers and fluid manufacturers recommend that brake fluid be changed every 1-2 years regardless of mileage. Google "brake fluid." There are some good articles explaining the rationale behind the recommendation.
Old 02-10-11, 07:59 AM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diogenes
Somewhere in Lexus land there is a minimum spec for rotor thickness. This is a spec for the rotors, not the minimum pad thickness. If you're approaching the minimum, get new rotors. Most formulations of brake fluid are hygroscopic, meaning that they will absorb moisture from the atmosphere over time. Most auto manufacturers and fluid manufacturers recommend that brake fluid be changed every 1-2 years regardless of mileage. Google "brake fluid." There are some good articles explaining the rationale behind the recommendation.
Thanks. I guess further research is needed. As I stated though it is not recommended for my 2008 Ford F250 or my 2001 Chevy Corvette.
Old 02-10-11, 08:32 AM
dewinks
Driver School Candidate

OK, so am I imagining it, or is the power steering fluid in this car actually ATF? I know Lexus used ATF in power steering for many years. If thats the case, I would just drain the system and refill it. ATF breaks down quickly as compared to other heavier hydraulic oils.

I had two rotors cut for my 4runner just last week and it cost me 60 beans. I wouldn't do that again, as new rotors are cheap, and thicker, less likely to warp. Stay with the OEM rotors and buy new if needed. If you have no brake pulsation, don't replace them!!!!

Either way, Diogenes is right about brake fluid (and most hydraulic fluids and synthetic oils) being hygroscopic. I can't hurt to change the brake fluid, but that's alot of money. I would wait until 100k miles at least if you're really hell-bent on doing it.
Old 02-10-11, 10:55 AM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

First off I like Lexus vehicles and this is our second straight Lexus. One of the reasons we picked Lexus was due to their service department. This Lexus is driven by my wife. It is used in normal driving and not abused. I sort of feel like a broken record or maybe I am just too dense. I own and drive a 2008 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab pickup that weighs 8,000 lbs. I just checked again and looked out to 150,000 miles for recommended service and no where does it recommend replacement or flushing of the brake or power steering systems. The engine oil, transmission fluid, rear end, transfer case are all recommended at some point and time to be replaced. The brake and power steering systems are all routinely checked and tested but not recommended for replacement or flushing. I would believe the F250 would be subject to all the same adverse conditions and worse than the Lexus as far as stress or contamination for the brake and power steering systems and fluids. What is the difference for Lexus or any other car manufacturer make them recommend flushing or replacing these fluids unless it is strictly a profit item, their brake and power steering systems and/or fluids are inferior to the Ford F250. I would not believe this is the case but who knows. I am not saying that you will hurt your vehicle by changing these fluids but again if the Ford F250 does not need or require changing or flushing then why Lexus? I appreciate everyones input.

Quick Reply: Do these recommended service items seem reasonable??