ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 05:58 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Don't tailgate or follow trucks guys. Paint is paint, it'll chip. Even metal can chip/dent at the speeds we go at
Pleez! Cars can throw rocks too. Especially on roads as poorly maintained as the ones around Hampton Roads. And I'm not saying my SGM hasn't held up nicely overall. It looks just as good as Batmans after I detail it. I'm saying the paint is soft. My '98 ES paint was much more durable. But then again the roads were in better condition back then too.

Lesson learned, get a clear bra installed on the next one! Damage is done to this one.
Old 02-27-11, 08:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Pleez! Cars can throw rocks too. Especially on roads as poorly maintained as the ones around Hampton Roads. And I'm not saying my SGM hasn't held up nicely overall. It looks just as good as Batmans after I detail it. I'm saying the paint is soft. My '98 ES paint was much more durable. But then again the roads were in better condition back then too.

Lesson learned, get a clear bra installed on the next one! Damage is done to this one.
Soft paint is prone to scratches not chips.

Think of it like this - plastic cell phones rarely crack or chip, they just scratch. Glass on the other hand is harder than plastic, and doesn't scratch easily but chips or cracks more easily. Harder = brittle, softer = prone to scratches.

The Lexus clearcoat is less prone to chips, more prone to scratches. The Mercedes scratchproof clearcoat is much more prone to chips but won't scratch even in a machine car wash.

The best clearcoat is Infiniti's. Infiniti has a gel clearcoat which is both scratch and chip resistant. But that said, Infinitis' don't have the same smooth, high gloss and deep shine that Lexus finishes do.
Old 02-28-11, 12:52 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big Mack pretty much has it down. Another thing to mention, our 90's eras paints are so great due to less strict laws regarding VOC stuff. That is another thing you have to keep in mind
Old 02-28-11, 06:26 AM
retired
Driver

Thank you for your comments...However, I failed to mention that I have an 01 Lx470 in pearl white and the paint is Flawless..I hand wash it and wax it every 4 to 6 weeks like my BLACK 07 es350...........You r correct when u say paint is paint, but BAD SOFT PAINT is a nightmare....Glad that some of the Black paint jobs were not done like mine was...DEFECTIVE PAINT FINAL ANSWER
Old 02-28-11, 09:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

White doesn't show abrasions though. I know from my BMW experience that they have the same challenges with Black.

Google "BMW Jet Black Soft" and you will see the same thing. Silver or white, no problems. This is why most BMW owners go for a Metallic off-black like Carbon or Jerez blacks.
Old 02-28-11, 10:37 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

My first 4 cars that I did when I started detailing for my friends were JB e46 BMWs. I became a pro on that paint by the 3rd one haha. Definitely consider yourself lucky guys. Looking at JB BMW paint marrs the hell out of it
Old 03-01-11, 10:21 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a black es and the front end looks awful after 10 months. She mainly drives hwy and has almost 20k on it already.

I'm going to have a buddy of mine paint at least the front clip in the next few months.

The accord we had last was black too and the Lexus front end after 10 months looks like the accord did after 3 yrs!
Old 03-03-11, 07:26 AM
zyvo23
Driver School Candidate

This is good information. I've been looking at used ES350's for a couple weeks and the one thing I have noticed is that they all seem to have chips on the hood.

Everything else on most of them is in good shape, but they all seem to have chips on them. I'll have to keep this in mind as I continue my search.
Old 03-04-11, 02:57 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This is all relative as depending on where you live and the abuse your car takes on a daily basis your results will be different. Owners really need to compare apples to apples. Acid rain, salt, road conditions, temperatures, ultraviolet penetration all make a difference.

If you,ve owned several different makes of cars and have used them in identical environments and can see differences in how the paint wears then you can make valid comparisons. Especially if you've maintained them identically. Otherwise it's all subjective.

From my experience in owning cars in Louisiana and Texas as long as I maintain the finish using a high grade sealer and wax (Zaino) once every 6 months and wash the vehicle about every 1-2 weeks using clean non-abrasive wool wash gloves and virgin 100% cotton towels, I have not have any serious issues except with a Pontiac Grand Am that I purchased in '86. That was definetly bad paint but the dealer repainted the car (albeit with even worse paint).

As far as the ES it's one of the best finishes I have ever had on a factory car. I have also painted several cars and motorcycles with high grade products from Dupont and PPG and can truthfully say that Lexus paint is as good or better than these products.

Once again it's all relative!
Old 03-05-11, 12:18 AM
Richard95
Rookie

Originally Posted by lamikela1
This is all relative as depending on where you live and the abuse your car takes on a daily basis your results will be different. Owners really need to compare apples to apples. Acid rain, salt, road conditions, temperatures, ultraviolet penetration all make a difference.

If you,ve owned several different makes of cars and have used them in identical environments and can see differences in how the paint wears then you can make valid comparisons. Especially if you've maintained them identically. Otherwise it's all subjective.

From my experience in owning cars in Louisiana and Texas as long as I maintain the finish using a high grade sealer and wax (Zaino) once every 6 months and wash the vehicle about every 1-2 weeks using clean non-abrasive wool wash gloves and virgin 100% cotton towels, I have not have any serious issues except with a Pontiac Grand Am that I purchased in '86. That was definetly bad paint but the dealer repainted the car (albeit with even worse paint).

As far as the ES it's one of the best finishes I have ever had on a factory car. I have also painted several cars and motorcycles with high grade products from Dupont and PPG and can truthfully say that Lexus paint is as good or better than these products.

Once again it's all relative!
Well said!!
Old 03-05-11, 08:05 AM
frankbcnt
Driver

What paint is Lexus using anyways? I have had several complements also on the finish.
Old 03-05-11, 02:45 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
What paint is Lexus using anyways? I have had several complements also on the finish.
I don't think it really matters as its different from time to time. Hard clear, soft clear, I've worked on both on the same generation car. It depends on what is being shot at the factory

There are flaws in anything man made. You will not find the perfect paint job even on exotics. Just learn to deal with it since cars are made to be replaced later on
Old 03-05-11, 06:49 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Umm yes it does matter. You can buy cheap paint or good paint. Ppg omni is crap comPared to house of colors. 20 bucks a can or 500 a can. I've owned several new hondas, mitsubishis and now this Lexus. I can tell you the Lexus is full of chips after 10 months. Here in fl we have love bugs too and on some of the hondas I neglected them for 2 weeks and still the paint is fine. The Lexus I washed the bugs off every other day or at lest every 5 days this summer. I am going to
Get the front clip resprayed with a good ppg.
Old 03-05-11, 08:51 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
Umm yes it does matter. You can buy cheap paint or good paint. Ppg omni is crap comPared to house of colors. 20 bucks a can or 500 a can. I've owned several new hondas, mitsubishis and now this Lexus. I can tell you the Lexus is full of chips after 10 months. Here in fl we have love bugs too and on some of the hondas I neglected them for 2 weeks and still the paint is fine. The Lexus I washed the bugs off every other day or at lest every 5 days this summer. I am going to
Get the front clip resprayed with a good ppg.
Its hard pressed to find a late models Honda that isn't faded or have clearcoat failure in my area. Same with Mitsubishi's in my observations. Whereas Lexus at the time (sans the green ones for some reason) generally don't have as much of an issue. Do you really think Lexus or Toyota would buy cheap paint? For all we know, the sudden mass introduction of giant paint flakes may have some effect on the clear layered on top. Who knows. Theres plenty of things we can come up with to push that the paint they use is bad.

Like I said earlier, the laws regarding the types of paint are changing overtime. You cannot compare 90s paint to paint that we have now. Something changed, whether becoming more water based or whatever. To add to this argument, I'm asked to inspect peoples cars at most meets that I attend whenever there is an issue. All the newer models are affected around the same unfortunately
Old 03-30-11, 12:24 PM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus is well aware of their paint problems

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com...t-problems.php

My name is on the class action law suit. My paint job is a joke. Everybody is in shock after they see it and when I tell them Lexus wouldn't do anything about it.

Quick Reply: Paint Job