2012 ES Redesign

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 08:08 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 ES Redesign

I just read in the Automotive News the following:

ES: The midrange sedan, which uses Toyota Camry underpinnings, is due to be redesigned for the 2012 model year, arriving in late 2011 or early 2012. Expect more angular and active styling than the current version, which has grown stale. A hybrid version could be added.

I don't know how much of a change we can expect on the inside, but from the above statements, it looks like the exterior may see a major redesign, which if traditional wisdom holds true, then an overhaul of the interior is a given. Those who are contemplating buying a 2010/2011, may just want to hold off a little longer...

More information on other Lexus models can be found here:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EM04/309279970
Old 10-14-10, 08:25 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

15, 10 even 5 years ago it was acceptable for the ES line to lack AWD. If AWD isn't on the 6th Gen ES then I really don't see how it can be considered a serious competitor to other mid-size luxury, at least to buyers in New England.
Old 10-14-10, 10:52 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, Infiniti now is offering so much innovation that Lexus has to learn something.
Old 10-15-10, 08:10 AM
safford197
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would upgrade now if AWD or RWD were an option with the same power plant as the IS350. I'll be waiting till it's power plant is upgraded...
Old 10-15-10, 08:49 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by safford197
I would upgrade now if AWD or RWD were an option with the same power plant as the IS350. I'll be waiting till it's power plant is upgraded...
Wouldn't that kill the purpose of the GS?
Old 10-15-10, 08:52 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I just read in the Automotive News the following:

ES: The midrange sedan, which uses Toyota Camry underpinnings, is due to be redesigned for the 2012 model year, arriving in late 2011 or early 2012. Expect more angular and active styling than the current version, which has grown stale. A hybrid version could be added.

I don't know how much of a change we can expect on the inside, but from the above statements, it looks like the exterior may see a major redesign, which if traditional wisdom holds true, then an overhaul of the interior is a given. Those who are contemplating buying a 2010/2011, may just want to hold off a little longer...

More information on other Lexus models can be found here:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EM04/309279970
In the future, I will wait until 3 years after a redesign to purchase to allow them to work out all the kinks. I made a mistake with my 2007 with a laundry list of problems that I wouldn't have had if I had waited to purchase an 09 model. Never again I tell you.
Old 10-15-10, 10:22 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pestleman0
In the future, I will wait until 3 years after a redesign to purchase to allow them to work out all the kinks. I made a mistake with my 2007 with a laundry list of problems that I wouldn't have had if I had waited to purchase an 09 model. Never again I tell you.
That is always my model of practice, never buy for hype, buy when you have the go. The downside is when you do so, your present model will be replaced soon . I have the 08 UL and the 2010 model will be the same as reliability since nothing big has change which as been my choice. But for a completely new redesign, i will NOT touch it.
Old 10-15-10, 10:35 AM
racingt
Rookie

ES will always be FWD, AWD or RWD is what the GS is for.
Old 10-15-10, 10:42 AM
safford197
Driver

Originally Posted by DaSyce
If I were going for a GS I'd probably end up with an entry level LS for the ride quality. I don't like the GS, the ride is too stiff and the seats are neither particularly good for racing or touring so I'd say there's not much competition for the ES - I mean, I don't think there's a good percentage of folks who go to the dealer looking for an ES and end up with a GS, I could see it the other way round though. However this is just my opinion so I could be completely wrong.

If speed were all one wanted one could save alot of money and get a faster car in the IS350, it's fast and has an uncomfortable ride and seats for anyone over a 32" waist.
Old 10-15-10, 11:45 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Originally Posted by racingt
ES will always be FWD, AWD or RWD is what the GS is for.
No, the GS is a mid size luxury sports sedan aimed at the E Class and 5 Series while the ES is a mid size entry level sedan. The GS, at least from my experience, feels and drives different from the ES, the later of which is cushier and softer while the former has a harder, sportier edge to it. Adding AWD would not IMO change the essence of the ES and would likely still attract the same customers without detracting from GS sales.

Having said that, I think it could definitely be argued that many buyers wouldn't really know the difference between the ES and GS if it boiled down to a V6 with AWD.
Old 10-15-10, 11:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO as long as the ES is Camry based, and there is no Camry AWD, it will probably remain FWD.

If Lexus ever develops a different platform for the ES they could very well offer a AWD option, but that kind of car would overlap GS and IS (coming soon) V6 AWD's.
Old 10-17-10, 04:05 PM
ThePhantom
Driver School Candidate

Hack -- I'd just be stoked if they started painting the cars with something that's slightly more durable than watercolors :/
Old 10-18-10, 09:01 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePhantom
Hack -- I'd just be stoked if they started painting the cars with something that's slightly more durable than watercolors :/
I believe the durability of the paint on these cars depends on how well you maintain the exterior and what kind of conditions you live in. I live in So. Cal. I have regularly protected my paint (every 3 months) with Zaino products, wash it once per week, garage it, and have it detailed twice per year. My 2007 Ruby Red Metallic looks like brand new.
Old 10-19-10, 02:28 PM
racingt
Rookie

Originally Posted by MDames2
I believe the durability of the paint on these cars depends on how well you maintain the exterior and what kind of conditions you live in. I live in So. Cal. I have regularly protected my paint (every 3 months) with Zaino products, wash it once per week, garage it, and have it detailed twice per year. My 2007 Ruby Red Metallic looks like brand new.
I live in So-Cal, wash my '08 ES twice a month, waxed it once in 3 years. Paint looks like new. Good clear coat from the factory.
Old 10-19-10, 02:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blueshark
I agree, Infiniti now is offering so much innovation that Lexus has to learn something.
Like what? Lexus offers much more technology. Infiniti does have better lease terms

Quick Reply: 2012 ES Redesign