ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 12:08 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plugs

Has anyone changed their own plugs? If so, is there a DIY you used or would you mind sharing a short synopsis? Also, what type of plugs are the originals and can a higher quality plug be used?

Thanks,
Paul
2007 ES350
Old 09-27-10, 01:05 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since this is a FWD V6, the back three plugs are facing the windshield. Generally cars with this setup will require you to remove the upper intake plenum so you can access them. This is of course, AFTER you remove all the other plastic covers under the hood of the ES.

These are the times I wish I had a FWD car with 4 cylinder engine. Heh.

If you want to tackle this job I'd suggest getting a service manual.

Personally I wrench all the time on my motorcycle and previous cars, but this is job I don't think I'd want to deal with.

I'd be interested in hearing if this job is indeed a real pain in the butt or not - thankfully I won't need plugs for a while.

How many miles do you have on your ES that you think you need plugs?
Old 09-27-10, 05:54 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just thinking about this over the weekend. I have 40,000 miles on mine since 10/06. Also thinking about a new battery before the original conks out in the most inopportune time.
Old 09-28-10, 07:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
Just thinking about this over the weekend. I have 40,000 miles on mine since 10/06. Also thinking about a new battery before the original conks out in the most inopportune time.
At 40K miles I wouldn't start thinking about new plugs until 100K+ miles.
Old 09-28-10, 08:52 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I changed the plugs on my '07 Impala SS at 50,000 miles. They were worn and the change over did make a difference in power and slight mileage.
Old 09-28-10, 11:50 AM
safford197
Driver

I've had mine since May of 2007 and only have roughly 28K miles on it - mostly highway. Just had an itch to play with it and wondered if anyone had done it already. I know it doesn't "need" it, but I didn't need new rims and tires either and that didn't stop me. I did take a gander under the plastic dust cover, looks like an easy job, everything, including back plugs seem accessible albeit with a universal joint and an extension or two on a ratchet. I've seen and done worse... If I can get a confirmation on what type of plugs to use I'll post some pics.

It looks like an Iridium tipped Denso plug is the OEM at least according to this vendor:http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...park_plug.html That's an expensive plug, wonder if the Bosch are as good, their iridium center with dual side electrodes...?

@Madmax96, do you know of a particular service manual. I've dealt with the dealer's manuals before they're nearly worthless to someone like me as their instructions are always the long way round.

Last edited by safford197; 09-28-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 05:27 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

The only time I had iridium spark plugs on a Lexus changed -- at the recommended 120,000 miles -- the factory installed ones looked like brand new. Maybe the originals could have gone another 120,000 miles. The car ran exactly the same (great!) before and after the spark plugs were changed. The original non-iridium spark plugs on my previous Lexus also looked like new when they were changed at the recommended 90,000 miles with OEM plugs and those spark plugs looked like new when they were changed at 180,000 miles.

The days when "performance" spark plugs made a difference in a normal passenger car engine are long gone. But if they make you "feel better"....
Old 09-28-10, 05:56 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Used to buy the "Splitfire" plugs back in the 80s and 90s. I "thought" they boosted performance and for the $, that was good enough back in my younger days.
Old 09-28-10, 07:51 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Garsarno - I wouldn't be thinking about plugs at 40,000 miles just as a preventative measure but I support your idea of replacing the battery at your convenience rather than having to get towed in some evening weekend or something even worse.

I know what you mean about replacing the plugs for additional performance - I've done it countless times over the years and always felt better about having done it but sure like not having to do it anymore.

Dave Mac
Old 09-28-10, 10:51 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Splitfire! Ha! Me too! Talk about an absolute waste of dinero.

I tinkered with the idea of changing my plugs as well to the Bosch super duper plugs. However, everything I've read on Bosch plugs says they're great in European cars but don't work well in Japanese cars. I've thought about putting them in my Honda Odyssey too. But am reluctant to do so after the hours I've spent researching.

Those Bosch PLATINUM IR FUSION plugs are $5.73 at Rockauto.com. And here's a $2 rebate per plug.

Also there is this guarantee:
You’ll feel the difference with all Bosch Platinum Series Spark Plugs, guaranteed!
Bosch guarantees that you will feel the improved performance in your vehicle when you use Bosch Platinum+4, Bosch Platinum+2 or Bosch Platinum Plus. If you do not experience quicker starts, smoother acceleration and improved fuel efficiency, return the plugs with your dated sales receipt, and Bosch will refund the purchase price of the spark plugs.
So if you try the Bosch plugs, let us know how it goes.

But I understand the desire to tinker with your car.

The Consumer Reports top rated battery is the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 for $115. The recommended battery is the EverStart Maxx-24S (North or South version) for $75 from Wal-Mart. I put one in my car back in April. Easy as pie. My wife experienced one difficult start so I replaced the battery that afternoon.

Last edited by overclock; 09-28-10 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 04:05 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the Wal Mart tip. All it takes is to get stuck with a dead battery, happened to me many summers ago after I refueled at a gas station. Car would not start / battery gave out at the pumps. Talking about spark plugs, my daughter had a '07 Hemi Grand Cherokee. On the Jeep forums, many owners tried the premium plugs with poor results, including the engine misfiring. Jeep recommends cheap Champion plugs for the Hemi and when I changed them after 40,000 miles or so, there was a big difference in power and gas mileage. When I replace the ES350 plugs, I will go with the factory recommend.
Old 09-29-10, 07:33 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Ordered the Interstate MTP-24 battery today from my local independent garage. There is an Interstate battery that is slightly cheaper, rated at 600 cold amps for about $30 less. The MTP-24 is rated at 800 cold amps for $119. Should be in later today. If I don't change it, this winter would be #5 that the OEM battery would have to go through.
Old 09-29-10, 01:16 PM
safford197
Driver

Well, after reading everyone's post I'm convinced to leave the plugs be. I guess a good analogy would be to compare the lexus to an appliance like a fridge - just keeps working although I'd love a good excuse to tinker under the hood.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 09-29-10, 09:12 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Actually the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 was rated number 1 by CR but at $40 cheaper the Walmart battery was the best buy. the MTP-24 received a better rating in CCA than the Wally World battery did.
Old 10-01-10, 06:15 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Had the Mega-Tron Plus installed this morning. With the new battery, it shortened the crank time in half, fires right up immediately. Took about 20 minutes total to change over.
The garage clipped the battery leads to a portable charger, lost nothing in memory.
85 month warranty, 800 CCA. $113 + tax installed in the car (friends of the garage).

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs