ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacing moonroof weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 06:02 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing moonroof weatherstrip

Hey guys - I wanted to know if anyone knows how to replace the weatherstrip on the moonroof glass. Mine has a little chunk missing and while it doesn't affect anything, I see it everytime I get in the car and it really bugs me. Not sure how it originally occured as I'm the second owner of the car. Car is still under factory warranty but I know it won't be covered, which is fine.

I peeled it back slightly and it appears to just be on the perimeter of the glass like a tight rubber band. I'm guessing I could use the tilt function to remove it from the back portion and then open it normally to get the front.

I briefly poked around the internet for a procedure on any car and found that the glass can be removed to make the process easier on some cars. I'm thinking this might not be necessary.

Before I tear into it, I wanted to know if some sort of adhesive/sealant is used to bond the rubber weatherstrip to the glass itself.

Oh yeah, this is the standard moonroof, not the pano-roof. Any info would be appreciated.......
Old 07-22-10, 07:13 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darn.. is yours under warranty... mine is. and I had the same problem.. dealership took care of it.. you can probably ask your local dealer if he can cover it even if warranty is up, as a courtesy.. these are supposed to last a lifetime..
Old 07-22-10, 08:57 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree, if your car is still under the 48 month warranty (and mileage) the dealer would most likely cover it. Being a second owner would not have any bearing on it. Give it a try.

Dave Mac
Old 07-23-10, 06:37 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

I'm under the 48 month warranty but almost feel embarrased to ask about it. The gouge in the weatherstrip most certainly looks like someone was careless - not that it happened on its own.

In fact when I got the car there was a little peice kinda hanging off like a little flap of the rubber. I instinctively tore that part off and now it looks worse.

If it was something that I was sure happened due to abnormal wear of the materials I'd have no problem pushing them to replace it for free. It's more of me being a picky person. I can get the weatherstrip for $40 through one of the parts websites.

I do have a couple of other things I'm hoping they'd cover so I'm trying to "pick my battles" appropriately for the sake of being fair and not unreasonable.

The little coin holder door is flat out busted. One of the little hinges that it snaps to has broken off the lower dash on the inside. That lower dash panel part is at least $150 or more. If I can figure out how to pull the plastic off I can repair it myself (have the broken off part). Again- I'm pretty sure it was probably caused by someone's knee (former owner) smacking it while it was open. I'm kinda gonna play dumb and be like "this goofy thing won't open" and hope they cover it.

Another thing I noticed is that when the windows are open, the fabric speaker cover for the sub on the parcel shelf is loose - loose enough that it flaps around in the wind. It's like it needs to be stretched and fitted tighter. That definitely happened on it's own - but not sure if I should be THAT picky.

So far the dealer has treated me well considering I didn't purchase this vehicle from them and I don't want to be the a-hole customer because I've been on both sides of the table.

On the other hand as far as the weatherstrip- I guess the worst they can say is "no sorry, that really isn't a manufacturer defect.."
Old 07-23-10, 07:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It sounds like you are reasonable. It wouldn't hurt to ask. You might be surprised.
Old 07-23-10, 07:22 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It sounds like you are reasonable. It wouldn't hurt to ask. You might be surprised.
That might just work. I had asked them to look at the brakes last time since they seem to be slightly starting to pulse when I would apply them. Sure enough they replaced the brakes at all 4 corners all under warranty. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-25-10, 10:19 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be afraid to ask the dealer. I had a few occasions where it was my own fault and the dealer all fixed the problems under warranty no questions asked. Toyota is paying for all warranty services so my dealer actually thanked me for bring in business. It is this type of "Lexus" experience and complete warranty that make people buy a Lexus. Looks like you have a valid case here so I would say go for it.
Old 08-03-20, 12:27 PM
iddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was getting a roof wrap installed and they cut into the edge of the moonroof rubber seal.. although its cosmetic, its annoying nonetheless .
other then going to a dealer which isn't an option in Pakistan, any leads on where I could get a replacement seal...