to CPO or not to CPO

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 12:07 AM
Brockton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to CPO or not to CPO

Hello happy ES 350 owners,

I am about to join you and I am trying not to be over-anxious but I want to buy NOW.

My problem is deciding between a CPO from a dealer - I am looking at roughly 22000 miles for about $25-26,000, or a car from a used car dealer, same mileage for roughly $22-23,000. Strangely, very few have navigation and none advertise luxury packages.

It seems like nothing major goes wrong with this car, so I feel like gambling, except when I gamble, I usually lose.

I would appreciate a few suggestions.
Old 07-17-10, 03:53 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Get the CPO. They are usually local cars that had light use. The other private dealers cars can be ok, but why weren't they CPO'd by a dealer? More likely to be a car that came from auction. Get a Carfax in either case.
Old 07-17-10, 05:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you can, avoid a car that was used as a dealer loaner, you can imagine how they were driven and cared for.

Also as mentioned by CJS57, cars that came from private owners have a better chance of being well cared for than leased vehicles.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 07-17-10, 09:35 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search. This issue has been covered no less than 100 times.
Old 07-17-10, 10:31 AM
Brockton
Driver School Candidate

Most dealer cars are from the auction. They tell me when the come off lease (as all the ones I've seen are), Toyota own them, not the dealer. Sounds strange but two have said that.

Last edited by Brockton; 07-17-10 at 11:18 AM. Reason: I found the search button.
Old 07-17-10, 12:16 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best cars to get is OWNER owned. .now how do u get an owner owned car at a dealership.. the only way is thru a trade in. Folks do trade in cars and those and in turn sold at auctions routinely. I would prefer an owner owned car. rather than a LEASE return. and last I would take a loaner car..
Old 07-17-10, 01:35 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brockton
Most dealer cars are from the auction. They tell me when the come off lease (as all the ones I've seen are), Toyota own them, not the dealer. Sounds strange but two have said that.
Since you seem to be unable to conduct a search, I have done one for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-with-cpo.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-non-cpo.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-non-cpo.html
Old 07-17-10, 02:48 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would first try to buy a used Lexus from it's original owner and then take it to Lexus (or go online) for an inpection and purchase a platinum warranty. Second option would be to get a COPO from a Lexus dealer and I don't think I would have a third option.

I think the prior post about the dealer not even having much of an inside track on a lease return is correct unless they make the deal to get the car as part of a trade or something with the original owner. Otherwise I think the lease returns pretty much go to auction. I have even tried to get my own lease return for a friend and they make it more trouble and expense than it is worth.

Dave Mac
Old 07-17-10, 10:08 PM
Brockton
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Miniz. I didn't look in those forums.

I am still thinking about gambling. One dealer will take $1000 off the price, but since the cars have already been through the certification process, it sounds like a good deal.

I am now thinking about a 2008, even though it is the same as the 2007, and I will still get some warranty. I will get the $2000 difference back when I sell.

I haven't seen one ES 350 with NAV.
Old 07-18-10, 03:58 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You are going to get a carfax, right? I looked at a lot of used Lexi and a lot had accident repairs. A no go for me without pictures which no one ever had. The only thing you would really miss from No Nav is the back up camera which is really nice. I didn't want the extra complexity for something I would not use. But the younger crowd must have Nav, I don't know why.
Old 07-18-10, 06:02 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I traded my 2008 for a 2010. The car was perfect and was going to be a CPO car for the dealer. I had 18,000 miles on it and only 1 stone chip on the front. Dealer maintained and it was trouble free. The only reason I traded was I liked the color and updated nav system in the 2010 , plus they gave me a great deal. I would stick with the CPO . My thoughts here.
Old 07-18-10, 02:03 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brockton
Thank you, Miniz. I didn't look in those forums.

I am still thinking about gambling. One dealer will take $1000 off the price, but since the cars have already been through the certification process, it sounds like a good deal.

I am now thinking about a 2008, even though it is the same as the 2007, and I will still get some warranty. I will get the $2000 difference back when I sell.

I haven't seen one ES 350 with NAV.
If the car doesn't have Navi, don't buy it. You seem to be of the right mindset, thinking about resale value......just as I do with everything. What do you think will sell for the most money and in the shortest amount of time when you are done with it? A base model with no options or an ultra lux with almost every option? You want to focus on ultra lux cars only. Search outside your nearest dealer to find it. Expand to the entire region.
Old 07-18-10, 07:18 PM
Brockton
Driver School Candidate

Hi again,

I don't have the patience of this group.

So today, I bought a 2008 with 14,000 miles for $27,500. It is a black CPO with no NAV. (sorry Miniz) There are only 3 with Nav within 75 miles and the mileage was 48,49, and 65000.

They want to sell me a Simonize teflon wax job with a 7 year guarantee for $595. It is only because of what Miniz said about black that I am thinking about it.

I am considering a 3 year warranty extension from Lexus, but they are asking $2150. They will make a package deal of $2150 if I take both.

I haven't signed anything yet, but left a deposit.
Old 07-18-10, 07:29 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I wouldn't go for the high dollar wax job - guaranteed against what? But I might go with the extended warranty if your are expecting to keep the car that long. I'm always amazed by people who consistently trade cars every 3 or 4 years yet buy extended warranties. You can often find the Lexus Platinum warranty on-line at pretty good prices and there is no benefit to buying it from your selling dealer unless you are going to roll it into your financing.

Enjoy the car - it sounds nice and I like the low mileage.

Dave Mac
Old 07-18-10, 07:31 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I just reread your post - that $2,150 for the warranty is too much even with the wax job thrown in. Look somewhere else for the warranty and use your other money for an annual detailing.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: to CPO or not to CPO