OEM HID Bulb ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 04:45 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default OEM HID Bulb ?

wondering what is the OEM bulb manufactuer ? does anyone no and would the
Dealers part department still be using the same bulbs do they have to get them from lexus or do they order them from where ever they can get them cheaper at the time ?

also does anyone know is the oem hid a 5000k or 6000k or something els ?

i found some DS4 philips and another brand on amazon for like 44 bucks
i know someone told me that different manufacters might have a different look once on is this going to be true ?
Old 03-13-14, 05:10 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

anyone ? please
Old 03-13-14, 06:53 AM
JerryM
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the one I just purchased a few months ago. Brightness and temperature wise, it's an exact match with the OEM bulb it replaced.

Sylvania D4S High Intensity Discharge (HID) Bulb, (Pack of 1) : Amazon.com : Automotive Sylvania D4S High Intensity Discharge (HID) Bulb, (Pack of 1) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-13-14, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

OEM bulbs are 4100k, I believe they are Sylvania.

One thing to bear in mind is that HID bulbs get bluer as they age. So I would replace them in pairs or they won't match.
Old 03-13-14, 09:52 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
OEM bulbs are 4100k, I believe they are Sylvania.

One thing to bear in mind is that HID bulbs get bluer as they age. So I would replace them in pairs or they won't match.
The passanger side entire headlamp assembly bulb ballast and housing where all replaced in November

The driver side is original so no need to replace both just one
Found some on amazon where the reviews are good and others with the es350 where pleased with results so will get the one on amazon for 44 and see how I like it
Old 03-13-14, 10:38 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After you get it, let the rest of us know if your happy with the color and what k value it is.
Old 03-13-14, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is this the one?
Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Probably okay.
Old 03-13-14, 11:12 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Yeah that was the one I was looking at and when I saw the reviews I felt good about it working out if I am happy with it ill order one or 2 more just to keep in my emergency box in the trunk never know when I don't want to ever have to spend 200 on one at the dealer in an emergency
Old 03-13-14, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't do that. They are VERY long lived these bulbs, and you can have one from Amazon in a day...
The following users liked this post:
rickster9 (06-12-21)
Old 03-13-14, 11:38 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, the question/answer isn't so clear cut to say it's a sylvania. I've see brand new lexus that had the bulb marked as "Denso". I've also seen where Denso would outsource the item and have their name on it. E.g. The bulb could be a sylvania or a philips. All 3 names have been seen in brand new lexus over the last few years.

Yes, the color temp (depending on the bulb manufacturer) is 4100 or 4300 Kelvin. Many people when looking for a replacement go with 5000 kelvin if they can find them. It's the perfect compromise. 4100-4300 is slightly LESS WHITE, but they project a greater distance. 6000 kelvin is definitely WHITE. 6500 kelvin is the color temperature of Noon-Daylight cloudless sky. But 6000-6500 doesn't project as far out on the road. Many have found that a 5000 kelvin is a great compromise between the two.

As for a replacement, you can spend over $200 for a bulb if you don't educate yourself. You can buy them from autozone type shops at close to $200. You can get them on Amazon for about $100 each. You can buy them even at Home Depot for $79. You can buy them directly from philips for $99. You can buy a "Rename" (BulbAmerica) sold at Sears for $54. You can buy them from many reputable online stores like "Highperformancebulbs" for $69. You can even get genuine philips bulbs on ebay for $35 each.

What you have to realize is that there AREN'T a lot of bulb manufacturers. I would say that philips and sylvania are 2 of the largest. There are others like GE and others. Many of the others are "REMARKED" with that seller's name. If you buy the EXACT SAME BULB from TOYOTA, the name on it is "Harison", yet it comes in a TOYOTA BOX labeled and everything. Right now, you can go on ebay and get ORIGINAL Philips 5000K D4S bulbs, free S/H, for $79.98 FOR A PAIR!!!! That's less than $40 each. That's what I would go and buy personally if I needed bulbs right now. Then, I'd put BOTH of them in so they are a perfect match in color/temp, and I'd take the "November" bulb out and keep that as an emergency spare if a bulb went out.
Old 03-13-14, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be shocked if $80 a pair Philips bulbs from ebay are genuine...
Old 03-13-14, 04:27 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I wouldn't do that. They are VERY long lived these bulbs, and you can have one from Amazon in a day...
ah ok cool thank you
Old 03-13-14, 04:31 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive Philips D4S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive

the link above are the ones i decided i am going to go with two philips d4s for 87 bucks free shipping
Old 03-13-14, 05:10 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can be shocked if you want. I've been shocked over quite a few things until I do some research. Just knowing that Lexus and Toyota are the same company, and you can cut the price in half MINIMUM, just by buying the same Toyota price instead of Lexus is an eye opener. But I've also seen similar prices on Amazon and a number of reputable vendors. $80-$100 for a PAIR of Philip DS4 bulbs is not that uncommon. There's a lot of vendors who will buy in bulk and get in on large group buys and purchase at a major discount. Then, turn around and sell to make a profit.

How about this for a "Compromise". Go to PhilipsXenon website:

http://www.philipsxenon.com/philips-...id-bulb-p-1275

and you can buy a PAIR of D4S for a couple dollars more. $99.99 for the PAIR. I know they aren't the "Official" Philips company, but they are an authorized OEM seller.

If you're still a little uneasy, you can go to the "Official" usa.philips.com site and when you click on their "Find a retailer" to buy button, they connect you to zenon corp (via amazon) where you can buy a pair of D4S for $102. Basically, $50 a piece.Or Homedepot for $79 a piece. (That's getting too expensive in my opinion)

Point is, if you think you have to pay $100-$300 a piece for a bulb from the dealer, Autozone, etc. to "Prove" that it's original, then you're mistaken. Especially when the manufacturer is the one who is sending you to sites that only cost between $50 and $80 each. But there are plenty of sellers, even on Ebay, who are reputable and buy in such large bulk, that you can get authentic Philips D4S bulbs for $40 each. The same thing can be found for OSRAM/Sylvania.
Old 03-13-14, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by christcorp
I know they aren't the "Official" Philips company, but they are an authorized OEM seller
Show me some source that says this website is authorized to sell Philips bulbs or authorized by Philips to sell anything? Everything I've ever read says they aren't....and that they sell knockoff bulbs.

NOTHING on their website says they are an authorized vendor of Phillips bulbs.They are nothing but an eBay seller and if you Google, plenty of people have bought supposedly real Philips bulbs from them that wound up to be fake. There are threads right here on CL where this has happened.

Buy from these guys or from eBay if you want, but you are taking a huge chance that they aren't legitimate bulbs and since headlights are indeed a safety item, I want bulbs from a legitimate manufacturer in my vehicle...not from china and not from some guy's garage. I'm not saying you have to pay $200, for basic OEM 4100k bulbs nowadays you don't have to...but I would buy them from a reputable source. Even Amazon is not always reputable depending on who the seller actually is.

Quick Reply: OEM HID Bulb ?