ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wood on Steering Wheel

Old 06-19-10, 05:20 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood on Steering Wheel

Anyone have an opinion on the partially wood steering wheels? I think they look nice but today was a hot day and it was uncomfortable to hold. I am guessing that it would also be uncomfortable in the winter. That said, I guess one could hold the leather part of the wheel.
Old 06-19-10, 05:50 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the wood is worse in the summer than it is in the winter. Besides, if it's really that cold I'll have gloves on anyway.

Sure don't know why more cars have heated steering wheels. My '02 Maxima had that and it was the best feature - you could feel the heat in like 10 seconds after you turned it on.
Old 06-19-10, 06:07 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I think the wood is worse in the summer than it is in the winter. Besides, if it's really that cold I'll have gloves on anyway.
You are probably right. I test drove the car today and could barely hold the steering wheel. It was about 90 degrees in my area.
Old 06-19-10, 09:20 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Many hot days here in Arizona. The wood steering wheel looks cool but is really hot on a 110 degree day after sitting in the sun. I just hold the leather part of the wheel (which is also hot) if necessary. And the wood probably holds up better in the sun than the leather.

Dave Mac
Old 06-19-10, 09:42 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i upgraded my wheel to a wood one and MAN does it get hot when its parked in the sun. but it just looks so darn good.
Old 06-19-10, 10:10 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me the wood part feels about the same as the leather part on a hot day. Aren't you glad Toyota makes featherweight steering systems for the hot days?
Old 06-19-10, 10:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I'm also in Arizona. My wife's steering wheel is all leather for just that reason, too darn hot here for a partially wood wheel. My F, of course has an all leather wheel, the IS series does not have a wood option. And, the new LS460 Sport has, you guessed it, an all leather steering wheel. I like 'em

Lou
Old 06-20-10, 09:08 AM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Overall, I like the look of the wood on the wheel. It goes well with the other wood trim. I guess it is better to look good than to feel good. I park my car in a garage at home and at work anyway.
Old 06-20-10, 01:09 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice window shade is all you need...especially with a dark color car. Problem solved.
Old 06-20-10, 10:57 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't find the wood bad...it's been in 90's for the last 2 weeks here in GA. I haven't had any issues. I like the look of the wood on the steering wheel...looks very classy IMO.
Old 06-21-10, 02:13 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Living in Seattle, I don't really have too many problems with the heat.

Although the wood steering wheel looks classy, I much prefer the feel of an all leather steering wheel.
Old 02-04-13, 06:13 AM
Junedave
Driver School Candidate

I carry a dish towel to cover the wheel when the car is parked in the sun.
Old 02-04-13, 08:22 AM
twistedman
Rookie

I love my wood wheel and could never cover it up! But there have been some hot days during the summer where it was too hot to hold, Ive seen some people using one of these!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005F0JHWM

If Lexus made one that would match the colour of our interior with a Lexus emblem in the middle, that looked classy then "Maybe" I would use one!
Old 02-04-13, 08:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^In Arizona, nobody uses steering wheel covers like that. We use windshield shades like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Windsh.../dp/B005G88IZU

Most folks in other parts of the country don't recognize these devices, but they are a Gods Send here

Lou
Old 03-19-13, 01:09 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MadMax96

Sure don't know why more cars have heated steering wheels. My '02 Maxima had that and it was the best feature - you could feel the heat in like 10 seconds after you turned it on.
I find it ridiculous that lexus couldn't add this feature. For me, the climate controls are THE MOST IMPORTANT, as I live in a cold climate. I would love to see autostart, heated everything (front windshield and steering wheel), but it is not available. I had heated mirrors in my 95 crown vic, so Im not really impressed by that.

Like you said, the maxima's had it. I like Nissan for their quick adoption of technology and luxury features.

I'm not complaining, its definitely a comfy car, but would love to see these added for all the Canadians and upper US customers...

On a side note, I find my heated seats take 3-5 minutes to warm up in approx. -5 Celcius (23 F) weather (or worse for colder). Is this normal or are they wearing away?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wood on Steering Wheel