ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tire Question on leased 09 ES350.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 09:22 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Question on leased 09 ES350.

I am 18 months into a 36 month lease on a 2009 ES350 Pebble Beach Edition.

I tool the car to a local oil change place and they told me the tires are down to 6/32.

They told me there is no way the tires I currently have on the car are going to last another 18 months. Especially through another winter and a half.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy new tires when they get down to 3/32 or try and wait it out until the end of the lease?

If I wait it out until the end, will Lexus force me to buy new tires when I turn in the car at the end of the lease?

Please let me your your thoughts or previous experiences with this. Thanks.
Old 06-18-10, 09:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I have no experience with leasing, but the quote below is from a member who does:

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
You are right the Lexus lease calls for 5 matching tires with I believe 4/32" if tread remaining.

Dave Mac
I do, however, have experience with good judgement. Why would someone who can afford a Lexus try to go on the cheap with such an important safety item Buy a new set of tires now, It's the right thing to do

Lou
Old 06-18-10, 10:03 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Earlier this month, my Kumho tires needed replacing , esp the fronts. Tire store rep measured the treads and came up with 5/32" - 6/32" average. Kumho prorated the tires and I got a new set of 4 for $280 ($129 on Tire Rack) for their Ecsta Platinum tires not including balancing or installation.
Old 06-18-10, 10:21 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I am 18 months into a 36 month lease on a 2009 ES350 Pebble Beach Edition.

I tool the car to a local oil change place and they told me the tires are down to 6/32.

They told me there is no way the tires I currently have on the car are going to last another 18 months. Especially through another winter and a half.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy new tires when they get down to 3/32 or try and wait it out until the end of the lease?

If I wait it out until the end, will Lexus force me to buy new tires when I turn in the car at the end of the lease?

Please let me your your thoughts or previous experiences with this. Thanks.
How many miles do you have on them?
Sounds like a fair bit of wear for 18 months.

But, if you have to replace the tires you may as well do it while you can enjoy them rather than the next guy. The car has to be turned in with legal rubber.
Old 06-18-10, 02:50 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You are not going to make it through your lease without buying tires so I would just go a couple of months and then buy a set of Michelin Primacy MXVR's and drive on safe tires for the balance of your lease. Check your lease but you can't turn your car in with worn out tires without getting charged so get what you want and ride it out. And there is no reason to take these tires too far because the Michelin Primacy's will last longer anyway and probably be more comforable.

Dave Mac
Old 06-18-10, 04:16 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove your current set and store them. Go buy a set of a Primacy MXVR and ride on those until you are ready to turn in the car, then swap back on the factory tires and either re-use or sell the good Primacy MXVR's. They will have like 70-80% tread life remaining and sell in no time. AND please don't tell me you took an ES to crappy lube. That is a crime in itself.
Old 06-19-10, 04:30 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the ES to a place much better than a "crappy lube". Damn, you people are snobs :-)

Of course I can afford the tires, I'm just a bit surprised that Lexus would put a tire on their cars that wear down that quick.

My previous cas was an Acura RL and I did not have to replace those tires during th lease.

Would think Lexus could put a better tire on this car but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-19-10, 05:01 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through the OEM Michelins on my 2007 in about 12,000 miles. Even there was and is no mileage warranty on these specific Michelins, Michelin prorated as a good will courtesy replacements that wore out in about the same miles. The Michelin dealer told me that these Michelins were specified by Lexus for the soft ride, hence no mileage warranty. They are the Michelin Primacy MXVR S8, the S8 designation is the one without the mileage warranty and they are much higher than the regular Primacy. Check Tire Rack's web site to see the difference.
Old 06-19-10, 08:59 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I took the ES to a place much better than a "crappy lube". Damn, you people are snobs :-)

Of course I can afford the tires, I'm just a bit surprised that Lexus would put a tire on their cars that wear down that quick.

My previous cas was an Acura RL and I did not have to replace those tires during th lease.

Would think Lexus could put a better tire on this car but that's just my opinion.
We don't know your driving habits.
We don't know what tires were on the Acura for comparison.

Tires wear out for all sorts of reasons that can range from driving style to alinment/balance issues.

A tire wearing out after 19K miles could also be a better tire than a longer lasting tire. A sticker compound or high performance tire will wear much faster than an all season. I tend to prefer the stickier tires, the added control and safety far outweighs the cost of the low mileage.