ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Picking up car they're asking about 3M Chip Guard Do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 10:32 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Picking up car they're asking about 3M Chip Guard Do I need?

I'm picking up ES350 tomorrow and they're asking about 3M Chip Guard. It's $695. Do I need? Wish I'd known before I made the deal. Thanks Dorothy
Old 06-17-10, 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dotbowels
I'm picking up ES350 tomorrow and they're asking about 3M Chip Guard. It's $695. Do I need? Wish I'd known before I made the deal. Thanks Dorothy
Others who have it might weigh in, but if you think you want/need it, you can probably get it installed for less at an independent shop. Most dealerships use third party for this type of item.
Old 06-17-10, 11:18 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Others who have it might weigh in, but if you think you want/need it, you can probably get it installed for less at an independent shop. Most dealerships use third party for this type of item.
Do you have or wish you had? Thanks
Old 06-17-10, 11:56 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is useful, because many owners complain about soft paint on ES350.
I have it on my ES, although I got the car used with the film already applied.
In the past I was able to negotiate the price of 3M Clear Bra on a new car from $500 to 150 at Nissan dealership.
One of my friends got a similar deal at Infinity, about 1/3 of the asking price.
Try to offer them $200, very likely they would take it.
Old 06-17-10, 03:18 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Do the 3M or clear bra products fade and/or yellow with age? Do the products peel at edges? That would be a concern to me. Thanks Dorothy
Old 06-17-10, 03:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Do you have or wish you had? Thanks
I've never had it, but those that do/did seem to really like it. I don't wish I had it, but that's just a personal opinion.
Old 06-17-10, 05:01 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Do the 3M or clear bra products fade and/or yellow with age? Do the products peel at edges? That would be a concern to me. Thanks Dorothy
I had mine done by independent who does all work for Lexus, Infinity, Mercedes dealers that are within 5 mins of his shop. Paid I beleive $ 325 for front hood,frnt side panels, mirrors....I would'nt due anything other than 3M product and get warranty with it. Very pleased with results...no fading, peeling and I'm in 95 deg heat/humidity in Houston.
In short , I would hold off for now then go back and speak with Serv dept and ask for Independent person who they can refer you to.....they want you're service biz so i would think they would cooperate in that regards...just would'nt ask when p/u vehicle...politely decline offer .
Old 06-17-10, 09:42 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt this also a DIY.. where u can install it. buy it off ebay.. and it is peel off anytime... i think I was quoted under 100$ on ebay
Old 06-18-10, 05:34 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Diy

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
isnt this also a DIY.. where u can install it. buy it off ebay.. and it is peel off anytime... i think I was quoted under 100$ on ebay
This is DIY if you've got skilzzz... otherwise, not even close. The amount of application time need and you'll need a heating gun (or really good hair dryer with mega watts) is probably safer and more worth it getting done my a pro. This is not a simple template and then lay on the car and you're done. The pieces come precut yes, but to apply properly and massage out the bubbles and get the fitting right... emm emmm.

As for original OP question, yes, it's definitely worth it and it won't fade or yellow (per the manufacturer) over time. The only thing is $600 is way too much, $300 or below is the norm. It's $600 only because it's the dealer.

One point to be weary, what color is your vehicle? The bra goes real well with lighter colors, more than darker colors only because of the dust and lint that will eventually just build on the edges between car washes. There will be a visible hood line during those times until you clean them. This dirt line is "masked" by lighter color cars (i.e silver is best, black is worst).

Make sure wherever you get it done, the mirrors are also done not just the front end Also, how far back on the fender is the dealer quoting for this price? The 3M should cover about 1/4 to 1/3 up the front hood, whole front of bumper including the lip, front side fenders should be covered too, and of course the mirrors.
Old 06-18-10, 06:35 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
This is DIY if you've got skilzzz... otherwise, not even close. The amount of application time need and you'll need a heating gun (or really good hair dryer with mega watts) is probably safer and more worth it getting done my a pro. This is not a simple template and then lay on the car and you're done. The pieces come precut yes, but to apply properly and massage out the bubbles and get the fitting right... emm emmm.

As for original OP question, yes, it's definitely worth it and it won't fade or yellow (per the manufacturer) over time. The only thing is $600 is way too much, $300 or below is the norm. It's $600 only because it's the dealer.

One point to be weary, what color is your vehicle? The bra goes real well with lighter colors, more than darker colors only because of the dust and lint that will eventually just build on the edges between car washes. There will be a visible hood line during those times until you clean them. This dirt line is "masked" by lighter color cars (i.e silver is best, black is worst).

Make sure wherever you get it done, the mirrors are also done not just the front end Also, how far back on the fender is the dealer quoting for this price? The 3M should cover about 1/4 to 1/3 up the front hood, whole front of bumper including the lip, front side fenders should be covered too, and of course the mirrors.
I took delivery without the extras last night just after reading comments here and elsewhere. The color is Satin Cashmere. Will there be line problems if I do it aftermarket? Thanks Dorothy
Old 06-18-10, 06:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I took delivery without the extras last night just after reading comments here and elsewhere. The color is Satin Cashmere. Will there be line problems if I do it aftermarket? Thanks Dorothy
dot, if you're interested you could stop by a shop that does clear bra and have them lay a piece of the product on the hood so you can see what it would look like.

How do you like te new car so far?
Old 06-18-10, 06:59 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

No, don't worry about it being aftermarket if you decided you want it later - it is all "aftermarket" and you can probably arrange to have the same installer as your Lexus dealer uses do the installation.

Enjoy the new car, I also have Satin Cashmere. What color is your interior?

Dave Mac
Old 06-18-10, 07:03 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
No, don't worry about it being aftermarket if you decided you want it later - it is all "aftermarket" and you can probably arrange to have the same installer as your Lexus dealer uses do the installation.

Enjoy the new car, I also have Satin Cashmere. What color is your interior?

Dave Mac
Parchment and it is beautiful inside and out. Did you have that or anything else done? Thanks Dorothy
Old 06-18-10, 07:20 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I too have parchment but tried very hard to find one with the black interior but they are not available in Arizona - I almost went to Nebraska to get one.

No, I don't do the clear bra on my cars because of the slight line that is visable and I do mean "slight" - most people don't notice it. My sister lives in Nebraska and always gets the clear bra because of some of the roads and finds that it helps a lot.

Dave Mac
Old 06-18-10, 07:51 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I too have parchment but tried very hard to find one with the black interior but they are not available in Arizona - I almost went to Nebraska to get one.

No, I don't do the clear bra on my cars because of the slight line that is visable and I do mean "slight" - most people don't notice it. My sister lives in Nebraska and always gets the clear bra because of some of the roads and finds that it helps a lot.

Dave Mac
I wanted black also. They could have found me one but wouldn't have sold it to me for $34 even if I went that route. I think the parchment is nice looking and will be cooler in the car than black on hot days.

How long have you had it and what do you use to keep the interior clean? Thanks

Quick Reply: Picking up car they're asking about 3M Chip Guard Do I need?