ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Changes and Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 09:43 AM
iamtony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes and Gas

Just for opinions sake. What does everyone think? For a 2010 ES 350. Do you guys think it should be a synthetic oil change or a regular oil change? As far as fueling, do you feel it should be regular gas or premium? Considering this car is a lease. Hope everyone is having a GREAT day!!
Old 06-01-10, 10:22 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The premium vs. regular has been debated to death on this site. So I'm not even going to answer that one.

As for using synthetic: Why bother since its a lease. It's debatable if it is even worth it if you own the car over long period time. Wikipedia has a fairly decent article on synthetic oils, stating the advantages and disadvantages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
Old 06-01-10, 10:28 AM
iamtony
Driver School Candidate

@JKAYCA - Thank you for your feedback.
Old 06-01-10, 02:04 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I go with regular gas and dino oil changed at 5000 miles. I have not reached my 1st oil change yet but that will be my plan.
Old 06-01-10, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I go with regular gas and dino oil changed at 5000 miles. I have not reached my 1st oil change yet but that will be my plan.
That's what I do too (FWIW I own my car).

As has been discussed, gas and oil type is strictly a personal choice.
Old 06-01-10, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Yeah honestly once you change the oil/filter every 5k you will be fine. I have changed my own oil in various Lexus for years, using synthetics and conventional. No engine issues in regards to sludge/oil etc.

I do use the recommended gas which is Premium for me... the HS can use regular.
Old 06-03-10, 04:15 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

93 octane / Mobil 1 oil changes so I can drive this car way past 100,000 miles.
Old 06-04-10, 12:50 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Lexus dealer uses a synthetic blend. I would definitely choose premium grade gasoline, and that's MHO
Old 06-05-10, 05:28 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkayca
The premium vs. regular has been debated to death on this site. So I'm not even going to answer that one.

As for using synthetic: Why bother since its a lease. It's debatable if it is even worth it if you own the car over long period time. Wikipedia has a fairly decent article on synthetic oils, stating the advantages and disadvantages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
Yes, highly debatable. The reality is, no one has ever been able to prove that using synthetic oil will make an engine last longer. It may extend oil changes but can you be certain that by doing so, you're not reducing the life span of the engine? Again, it can't be proven. Conventional motor oil will break down before synthetic will but if you're going that long between oil changes, synthetic won't help you. I use conventional oil.
Old 06-05-10, 08:00 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest, lease, with NO intent to buy... sorry but regular and dino. Why "waste" the money for the next guy?

However, on my own cars, I only use premium and Mobil1.
Old 06-06-10, 12:16 PM
iamtony
Driver School Candidate

You guys are really helpful with your opinions and experiences. Thank you much!!!
Old 06-06-10, 02:40 PM
MedRxMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
To be honest, lease, with NO intent to buy... sorry but regular and dino. Why "waste" the money for the next guy?

However, on my own cars, I only use premium and Mobil1.

Guess that's why I would not buy an off lease car!!!
Old 06-06-10, 05:22 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Used Cars

Originally Posted by MedRxMan
Guess that's why I would not buy an off lease car!!!
Just being real... if I ever did lease a car and did not think of keeping it, I would just let it run on minimum of everything. If I had intent of keeping it, then I would baby it.

I've owned two "used" vehicles thus far, one from a friend that I knew the exact maintenance and my LS which was a "off lease" vehicle that was only 36K, so if it were fed regular and dino, I would not care. The LS would run to 300K with regular anyway, so I could baby her now.
Old 06-08-10, 12:49 PM
safford197
Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
93 octane / Mobil 1 oil changes so I can drive this car way past 100,000 miles.
I leased my 2007 and just bought out the lease so I'm glad I took good care of her. I had done my own oil changes using Mobile1 full synthetic. I choose synthetic only because I like to use the best and since I'm doing my own change I actually spend less then had I gone to the dealer - on the ES350 it's so easy to change the oil, takes me longer to drive, pick up and check out with the oil then it does to change it...

With that said I recently switched from Mobil1 as I found in a recent oil change there was a bit of sludge in the bottom of the oil filter housing. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum for my last two changes, this last change had 4,955 miles and I was amazed at the visual condition of the oil, it looked as clean as any fresh conventional oil and there was no sludge in the bottom of the oil filter housing.

I recommend doing your own change as it's cheaper, takes no additional time, and you can do it with more quality then the recent ASE Certified intern your local lexus dealer is surely providing OJT to with your car. I enjoy getting to inspect the condition of the under carriage, lastly, call me a car nut, but I like the bonding time.
Old 06-08-10, 02:00 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by iamtony
You guys are really helpful with your opinions and experiences. Thank you much!!!
Cars I own I use Synthetic.
Cars I lease I use regular and follow the intervals.
In the long run the Synthetic will give less chance of gummed up valves and sludge.

I tend to use regular in the ES and IS, on the road I may switch to 95.
My Boxster just gets 95.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes and Gas