ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Update: New Situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 10:32 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: New Situation

UPDATE: Man, what a day at the dealer: What they are doing is: removing some padding from under the carpet and replacing it with a 'thinner' pad, shaving the pedal, they will only give you a new pedal after you have had the pedal shaved and you just don't like the look and lastly they will do the brake override s/w update. I got a loaner 2010 RX 350, really nice ride and options!!!

Now here's the real news: Lexus is willing to sell me a 2010 with my current options, HID, Nav, park-assist, etc... for what I paid for my 09, $37K, it's the same dealer of course. They are going to give me $30K for my 09. I may even reduce my current payments and bank some cash. The updated 2010 Nav is awesome there is so much you can do, weather, stocks, voice call a person's phone (09 has this option, 2010 is much more easier to setup), download a destination from google maps from your home pc to the car's Nav, and much more.

So why am I apprehensive??....Well, I have never liked how Lexus changed the grill (front-end) on the 2010, and believe it or not, I liked the interior led lights (kind of cozy) o the 07-09. Should these few issues be a show stopper with all the other positives? To those who upgraded from 07-09 to a 2010 do you see a big plus, did anyone have issues with the front end, or just overall look? Just trying to get some feedback, I'm going to sleep on it over the weekend. If I can convince myself, I will pull the trigger on Monday....
Old 05-08-10, 10:45 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

LexPaul - I'd go for it. I went from a 07 to a 2010 and although I too don't really like the front end changes - the fog lights, I do like the rest of the exterior changes and you are right the Nav is much better. From the very first day this car has seemed to be quieter and have a better ride. Nothing negative to report.

What color are you considering?

Dave Mac
Old 05-09-10, 12:07 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
LexPaul - I'd go for it. I went from a 07 to a 2010 and although I too don't really like the front end changes - the fog lights, I do like the rest of the exterior changes and you are right the Nav is much better. From the very first day this car has seemed to be quieter and have a better ride. Nothing negative to report.

What color are you considering?

Dave Mac
Dave Mac,
I really appreciate the feedback, I'm considering the same color I have now, obsidian/black. My salesman showed me a new color that Lexus recently introduced, Peridot Mica, it's not at bad, but I'll probably stay with obsidian...
Old 05-09-10, 11:30 AM
c6vert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think about this..

You paid $37k last year for your car.
They will give you $30k now. Net loss, $7,000.
New car will cost $7,000 plus TTL.
That means you will have spent $14,000 + to come up one model year.
I can't see how that is worth it at all. Just my opinion.
Old 05-09-10, 02:14 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Dave Mac,
I really appreciate the feedback, I'm considering the same color I have now, obsidian/black. My salesman showed me a new color that Lexus recently introduced, Peridot Mica, it's not at bad, but I'll probably stay with obsidian...
I've had Black cars for long time....wife & daughters cars are black....but when I purchased 2010...went with Black Sapphire Pearl / parchment . I gave it a Zaino polish makeover one month after purchase and I mean it really shows very well...pinstripping and lip spoiler help quite a bit . Anyway at nite the Black Sapphire can almost pass for Obsedian...give it a look. The chrome on lower end helps break up side also..so I say make the move...maqybe you can find $ 500--1000.00 more they can bring frwd to close deal...good luck..let us know !!
Old 05-10-10, 06:59 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by c6vert
I'm not following the math here. I believe the total cost delta will be the $7K depreciation on the old car plus the TTL on the new one. So, it'll cost about $9K to upgrade.

I'd seriously consider a private sale to minimize loss on the old car if I was doing this upgrade. Also, have CarMax give you a quote. Even if you don't sell it to them, the quote can give you leverage with the dealer.
Old 05-10-10, 10:11 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So they will give you a new pedal on the 07-09's if you don't like the shave down el cheapo hack look?
Old 05-10-10, 11:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
So they will give you a new pedal on the 07-09's if you don't like the shave down el cheapo hack look?
I've read about that option, but haven't heard of anyone actually getting a new pedal yet.
Old 05-10-10, 01:32 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So, in other words your car depreciation = $7k. and you are getting same colour and same options, I would wait 1-2yrs before the new ES hits the road.
Old 05-10-10, 08:01 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rx300mm
So, in other words your car depreciation = $7k. and you are getting same colour and same options, I would wait 1-2yrs before the new ES hits the road.
Good advice. This car is on a 5-yr redesign cycle. It's due for an update when the 2012 model comes out, which will be around September 2011. I'd have the dealer swap the pruned pedal on your currrent car and live with it for 1.5 more years. Then, you can get the new, improved 2012 model.

If you upgrade to the 2010 now because it seems a little better than your 2009, just imagine how unhappy you'll be when substantial revisions arrive in 2012.
Old 05-10-10, 08:34 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Or buy the 2010 and keep it for 3 years before getting the new model both for a better price and getting past some of the first year problems. I got my 2007 after they had been out for about 9 months - couldn't resist any longer - then a 2010 in Dec. and since it is a lease I will need to wait until the next model has been out for a year anyway.

Dave Mac
Old 05-11-10, 10:38 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
It would actually be < $7k because he'd get some of it back when he sells it since he can get more when he sells a '10 than a '09. Having said that, I still wouldn't do it even if it's around $5k.
Old 05-11-10, 12:03 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
I'm not following the math here. I believe the total cost delta will be the $7K depreciation on the old car plus the TTL on the new one. So, it'll cost about $9K to upgrade.

I'd seriously consider a private sale to minimize loss on the old car if I was doing this upgrade. Also, have CarMax give you a quote. Even if you don't sell it to them, the quote can give you leverage with the dealer.
In most states if you do a private sale you will lose the sales tax advantage on the swap. You would have to pay the tax on the whole $37K, not just the difference ($7K)
Old 05-11-10, 12:49 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you they are over pricing the trade and taking the money from the new car to make up the difference.

I would counter offer them and tell them you want Ultra Luxury 36.636 is invoice on an Ultra. They still would take the deal and then you get a few extras. Also don't let them BS you that they are so rare all they have to do is pull them from the port when they allocate if they don't have one. Keep in mind Lexus is also giving dealers 1k rebate on the ES.
Old 05-12-10, 12:37 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by c6vert
Thanks for that information....and I have been thinking along those lines myself...I had to step back and consider that changes are always coming....new improvements....and for the upgrades in the 2010 is just not worth it...plus my credit score would take a hit too...

Quick Reply: Update: New Situation