ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

>>> I'M MAD AS HELL i'm mad as hell !!! <<<

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 04:43 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default >>> I'M MAD AS HELL i'm mad as hell !!! <<<

So I brings in my 2007 ES350 for the Lexus '1-2 punch' today.

Time to pick up the car and pay for the job.
First item on the list; new battery for my FOB.

"But I didn't ask for one" I tell the service guy. "I just replaced the battery last week!"
He says "Oh, sorry, I'll just adjust the invoice".

I ask him to please give me the old battery back. He says it's in the garbage and he probably won't be able to find it now.
After he adjusts the invoice and I pay I ask him to check for the battery in the garbage.
He checks, comes back and says he couldn't find it in the first few inches of the can.

I was not too pleased about this.

Now for the real kicker.

I had no plans to bring in my 350 for the gas pedal fix. It was a non-issue with me. However I did need to bring my car in for an oil service and my Mom strongly urged me to take care of the recall issues.

I called a service guy to get details on what they would do exactly for the recall items.
I specifically asked him if I would be able to feel any difference between the 'fixed' gas pedal and the unmodified pedal. He said "No."

Today as I was giving the girl at the service desk my FOB I asked her once again if I would be able to feel ANY difference between the 'fixed' gas pedal and the unmodified pedal.
She said "No."

As I'm driving away from the dealership today my foot sticks to the f_cking gas pedal!

At first I didn't pay too much attention to it as I was still thinking about the FOB battery issue.

I drive half a mile further and once again my foot sticks to the gas pedal!

There is no gum or other sticky substance on the bottom of my shoe.

As I'm driving home (approx. 30 minutes) my foot sticks to the pedal several more times and I am absolutely FUMING!

The sticking ranges from subtle sticking to OUTRIGHT sticking.

I check the pedal and first I am completely surprised to see the way they made their cuts (hacks). The location of the cuts were not where I had understood they would be.

Secondly I am struck by how razor sharp the edges of the cuts are.

I couldn't turn back to the dealership or call them as they were closing just after I picked up my car.

I am so pissed that if they don't fix this pedal so I can't feel it, at a time that is convenient for me, I am going to the media with this one.

The last thing Toyota needs is another recall notice!

This is friggin' dangerous. The second it takes to get my foot off the pedal could mean an accident!
Old 04-20-10, 04:49 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I declined on the pedal mod for my ES last week but I understand that if you don't like the modified pedal they will replace it with the new design pedal upon your request - assuming of course that they are available.

Dave Mac
Old 04-20-10, 05:55 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I declined on the pedal mod for my ES last week but I understand that if you don't like the modified pedal they will replace it with the new design pedal upon your request - assuming of course that they are available.
Thanks for this info Dave.
I hate being in the "genie is out of the bottle" situation that I find myself in from time to time.

I'm caught in a bind now. I don't want to start playing the 'Toyota game' of repeated visits to the repair shop to get it right.

The original pedal is now gone, for all intents and purposes.
The question now becomes, do I let them try to 'fix it' again or go for the 'new design pedal'?

There's no guarantee that I'll like the 'new design pedal' either.

<sigh>

Now I know why they say: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!
Old 04-20-10, 06:19 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IF YOU'D REALLY STATE YOU DIDNT WANT IT, THEY WOULDNT DO IT! There were even pictures of the gas pedal after 'the fix'. So stop crying about how sticky it is or it looks like. sticky-clean it, ugly-dont look at it! you should've declined it at the very beginning.
Old 04-20-10, 06:39 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
IF YOU'D REALLY STATE YOU DIDNT WANT IT, THEY WOULDNT DO IT! There were even pictures of the gas pedal after 'the fix'. So stop crying about how sticky it is or it looks like. sticky-clean it, ugly-dont look at it! you should've declined it at the very beginning.
You're missing the point.

Of course you are right, had I said I don't want it done they wouldn't have done it. That's not the issue now.

The issue is, they said I would not feel any difference after the 'fix' and I DO FEEL A DIFFERENCE!

There is nothing to clean! My foot is sticking to the pedal because it has sharp edges, not because it is sticky.
Old 04-21-10, 03:19 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had my gas pedal shaved / trimmed etc, can feel no difference. Looks a little stupid but I pay attention to it only when vacuuming the car.
Old 04-21-10, 06:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac
Does anyone know if the replacement pedals are actually available yet?
Old 04-21-10, 06:51 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
I am so pissed that if they don't fix this pedal so I can't feel it, at a time that is convenient for me, I am going to the media with this one.

The last thing Toyota needs is another recall notice!
I could be wrong, but I suspect that if you went to the media about how your gas pedal "feels different" after the modification, even tho the dealership told you it wouldn't, they'd just laugh in your face.

And how would that initiate another recall??
Old 04-21-10, 07:26 AM
racingt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem with my pedal after modification. Go back and tell them what you told us - see if they take care of it. By the way - do you have small feet?
Old 04-21-10, 08:01 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too had my 2007 pedal shaved. I feel no difference at all. The gas pedal works just fine. Take it back to the dealer. They'll take care of it. Take a deep breath. Don't let such a trivial thing ruin your day.
Old 04-21-10, 08:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I had this done on two cars ('07 & '10) with no problems. I'm sure if you go back to the dealer they can make it right to your satisfaction.

It might be a pain to go back, but at least it will be corrected.
Old 04-21-10, 10:31 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can tell there's no pleasing this guy. Even after Lexus gives him a free battery, he wanted the man to dig through garbage to retrieve his supposedly just replaced battery.

If the gas pedal sticks because of the sharp edges, then just get a file and smooth it out. It'll take less time to do that than for you to drive back to the dealer, and drop it off.
Old 04-21-10, 11:56 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
If the gas pedal sticks because of the sharp edges, then just get a file and smooth it out. It'll take less time to do that than for you to drive back to the dealer, and drop it off.
Kev, this is a serious issue now.
The car is unsafe to drive.
I am not about to make any personal modifications to this vehicle, for obvious legal reasons.
Old 04-21-10, 12:06 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the gas pedal shaved on our 2007 ES350, and had no problems. Sure, it doesn't look OEM and the edges are a bit rough, but I haven't had any issues with the pedal sticking.
Old 04-21-10, 12:17 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
We had the gas pedal shaved on our 2007 ES350, and had no problems. Sure, it doesn't look OEM and the edges are a bit rough, but I haven't had any issues with the pedal sticking.
It seems most haven't had problems with the modification.
I was unlucky however.
Just to clarify terms here for everyone.
The pedal isn't sticking, as in; remove your foot and the pedal is stuck.
The pedal is sticking to the sole of my shoe.

I am attaching pics now so you can see the sharp edges (taken with flash).
Attached Thumbnails &gt;&gt;&gt; I'M MAD AS HELL  i'm mad as hell !!! &lt;&lt;&lt;-100_7489.jpg   &gt;&gt;&gt; I'M MAD AS HELL  i'm mad as hell !!! &lt;&lt;&lt;-100_7497.jpg   &gt;&gt;&gt; I'M MAD AS HELL  i'm mad as hell !!! &lt;&lt;&lt;-100_7498.jpg  

Quick Reply: >>> I'M MAD AS HELL i'm mad as hell !!! <<<