ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

automatic doors lock doesn't work ???

Old 04-18-10, 06:37 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default automatic doors lock doesn't work ???

Recently, my car has the automatic doors computer replaced and now, it lock and unlock fine with the fob, but when i leave the car, the doors doesn't lock automatically unless i push the fob.... is that normal ? I tested by waiting a long time far away and came back without the fob and the doors are still unlock.
Old 04-18-10, 06:44 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no such thing as an automatic door lock when you leave the car. You need to either hit the fob lock or the little black button on your door handle.
Old 04-18-10, 06:51 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

really ^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i remember that my car locks automatically before the computer replacement ..... i know it does take time for the doors to automatically lock the doors. Please correct me if i'm dreaming.
Old 04-18-10, 07:34 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueshark
really ^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i remember that my car locks automatically before the computer replacement ..... i know it does take time for the doors to automatically lock the doors. Please correct me if i'm dreaming.
You are dreaming. There is such thing. If fact, I know of no vehicle that offers automatic locking upon leaving. There is auto speed locking. The door will lock at say 17 MPH. It would annoy and/or lock out people if the doors just locked after you left the vehicle.
Old 04-18-10, 07:43 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

then, my car is running fine , thank you buddy for your help.
Old 04-18-10, 08:04 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to have an alarm system which if it did not detect a key in the car, it would lock the doors and turn the alarm on in 2 minutes. but it turned out to be a pain with false alarms.. i thought the lexus wud do the same. now when I leave, I use the fob to lock doors once out of the car.. did not know about the door handle button. will try it
Old 04-19-10, 09:38 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently, my car has the automatic doors computer replaced and now, it lock and unlock fine with the fob, but when i leave the car, the doors doesn't lock automatically unless i push the fob.... is that normal ? I tested by waiting a long time far away and came back without the fob and the doors are still unlock.
Hi, I think you are refering to when you press the "unlock button" on your FOB and not open the door, it will wait 2 -5 mins (a short time) and then the door locks automatically. I know if you switch off the car and close the door and walk away it will not lock the car for you .. but if you leave the FOB behind in the car and close the door .. it sends a polite alarm
I really miss this when I am driving my RX300 .. as I hate taking the keys out of my pocket to unlock, start and lock the door.
Old 04-19-10, 06:06 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx300mm
Hi, I think you are refering to when you press the "unlock button" on your FOB and not open the door, it will wait 2 -5 mins (a short time) and then the door locks automatically. I know if you switch off the car and close the door and walk away it will not lock the car for you .. but if you leave the FOB behind in the car and close the door .. it sends a polite alarm
I really miss this when I am driving my RX300 .. as I hate taking the keys out of my pocket to unlock, start and lock the door.
i think that you are right, i know that i'm not dreaming as i stated above. I've learned a good lesson today as i did many time, leaving the car thinking that it locks by itself

I will start a new thread on the puddle lamp since i want to truth about that manner, my dealership is denying that it doesn't light up automatically when i approch stating that it is not an option on my car: es350 2008 UL
Old 04-19-10, 06:23 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

i think that you are right, i know that i'm not dreaming as i stated above. I've learned a good lesson today as i did many time, leaving the car thinking that it locks by itself

I will start a new thread on the puddle lamp since i want to truth about that manner, my dealership is denying that it doesn't light up automatically when i approch stating that it is not an option on my car: es350 2008 UL
Puddle lamps under mirrors should come on upon approach (assuming you have the smart key on your person) when the car senses that it is dark.
Old 04-19-10, 06:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Have you had any problem with your smart key? Damaged, replaced etc.

As miniz said, the lights should come on if the smart key is working properly..
Old 04-19-10, 08:01 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

mine doesn't light up upon approch in the night the fob is working perfectly.
Old 04-20-10, 07:37 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

mine doesn't light up upon approch in the night the fob is working perfectly.
Yes, for sure. The puddle light under the mirror should come when you are about 4 to 5 ft away from the car, the FOB triggers that. It's really neat and works on both sides of the car. Reference is in ES350 manual and how it works, I would show the manual to your garage or take car to Lexus dealer.

PS: the FOB batteries only last 2 yrs approx, if the battery is weak it may effect how things work, etc. When mine needed replacing I got a display message of the panel indicating the battery was low.

Last edited by rx300mm; 04-20-10 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:40 PM
John_B
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
You are dreaming. There is such thing. If fact, I know of no vehicle that offers automatic locking upon leaving. There is auto speed locking. The door will lock at say 17 MPH. It would annoy and/or lock out people if the doors just locked after you left the vehicle.
I don't know if our 08 350 is programmable to work that way, but there are indeed cars that do. I also have a 2007 Corvette and the door lock is programmable to lock the doors when you walk away. If set to lock, the doors will not lock if the FOB is inside the car and the horn will beep at you three times. The nice thing about the Corvette, compared to the Lexus, is that all of the settings are user programmable, you don't need to make a trip to the dealer to have the settings changed.

John
Old 04-20-10, 05:42 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is not programmed to lock automatically. I leave my car unlocked in the garage all night and it does not lock itself. However, if you unlock the door, but don't open it, it will lock itself in a couple of minutes. This is all covered in the owners manual.
Old 04-22-10, 08:15 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=

PS: the FOB batteries only last 2 yrs approx, if the battery is weak it may effect how things work, etc. When mine needed replacing I got a display message of the panel indicating the battery was low.[/QUOTE]

I think you maybe right about the battery since my car is a 08. Plus, i did some tries coming close to the door without touching it and as close as 5 inchs away, the puddle lamps light up Time to change the batteries.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: automatic doors lock doesn't work ???