Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Paint protection film, how much is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 06:27 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

In the email thread you will see where I mentioned how much ( 225.00) and what part he did. He is very close to Northside Lexus and does veh for Mercedes, Infinity, in the area. He is very reasonable and also does tinting for windows. If you want to send me private messg i can provide you his Co. name..should be able to find it. Northside would probabbly also give you his name.
Old 03-30-12, 06:55 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Ali, I sent you a private message with info on the Co that does paint for Lexus vehicles. I highly reccomend.
Old 04-01-12, 05:10 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
just had it done on es350--2010 very well worth it. had it done on frnt hood, frnt fender, side mirrors . needs to be 3M product only. where are you in Tx...i had it done by person here in Houston area who does ton of work for local Lexus ..Infinity dealers...did great job.
Originally Posted by ali123
Can you tell me how much did you pay and what areas did you have it installed? I am also in houston area. Thanks in advance
I'm very interested, as well. Thanks.
Old 04-01-12, 10:50 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SatComm302
I'm very interested, as well. Thanks.
SatComm
I sent you Private Messg with info as well.
Good Luck !!
Old 04-01-12, 03:10 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say this isn't a DIY project if you have the pateince and want to do it right. I didn't do my Lexus because i hadnt had an experience with Toyota since my 83 celica. Had I known the paint is so thin and soft on Toyota I would have done it in a heartbeat.

A year after we bought the car the love bugs here in fl has destroyed the front clip and hood. It's not real bad cause we wash it a lot but it's bad to me and doesn't look like a 2010!

I bought a 2011 tundra and that's the first thing I bought. It was like under 300 bux for the front clip, fenders, hood, headlights, fog lights, mirrors and door guards. This was for material only and it was 3m. Believe me the front end of the tundra is a beast and is a lot more material then the Lexus so I would think the Lexus would be cheaper. I don't think it was hard at all just takes a lot of time. It took 5 hrs to do. I think the larger the pieces the easier it is. The fog lights were the hardest thing and the hood the easiest.

Bottom line is doit because Toyota paint sucks.
Old 04-01-12, 05:33 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo68
My ES is white and I have noticed a slight yellowing. Not noticeable unless you look very close and at the right angle. You can take this into the car wash. You never use a cleaner polish on the film. You should use the new tech waxes with polymers in them. NEVER us a cleaner of any kind. The film will not harm the paint.
Try claying it and then buffing it with some wax. That should clean the yellow grime off of it
Old 04-01-12, 06:21 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

The original owner had it done on my RX300 and it's great. Finish retains shine, but the best part is its resistance to scatches, sun damage, chemicals, car wash chemicals and parking lot dings. I love it.
Old 04-02-12, 06:36 AM
lexusinffx
Driver School Candidate

I bought a used 2007 ES350 with a UL package. Is there a way you can tell that a protection film has been applied? I tried to observe the front closely...overall the hood and grill portion dont have anything significant, but there is just one spot with a thick paint chip. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-02-12, 04:00 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SatComm
I sent you Private Messg with info as well.
Good Luck !!
Thanks, Jess!
Old 04-03-12, 07:43 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend staying away from 3M Scotchguard film... especially down in the Texas heat. I have had 4 people this year alone contact me about removing the 3M installed by Lexus. In every case it had cracked and the film had basically disintegrated. There is no way to get it off other than sanding it. Sure the film looks good for a few years... but after 4-5 years be ready to repaint the front of the vehicle. because the film will break down. In the other cases I did not remvoe them as I simply wasnt going to waste my time. Last week I removed a bumper off of a Corvette that had 3M on it. It took 6 hours to get the adhesive off the paint. 3M is notorious for this.
Old 04-03-12, 03:44 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

For what it matter , I'm in Houston area not dallas. Also so its made clear I have -0- vested interest in whether it is applied or not. I can only talk about my application that was done by this individual who does all the Work for one of the Lexus dealers here. I have had absolute zero issues with film and can only imagine what the front hood would like w/o it on. Had es330 2004 and never had paint protection appplied and rock chips all across front when i sold it.
I can also say he had a lot more expensive cars there ( from nearby dealers) that my 40k car and would seriously doubt they would be letting him touch their vehicles if customers were coming back because application wasnt holding up. He work is 100% guaranteed for lifetime you own vehicle . Maybe Dallas installer is doing something different...not sure , but again they dont put this on expensive cars and hoping for a maybe !!!
Old 04-03-12, 09:34 PM
The Critic
Rookie

I would not expect this stuff to last more than 5- 7 years, especially in more extreme climates.

$750-$1000 for partial front coverage is the going rate, from a good installer. I paid $850 for mine from Premier Protective Films.
Old 04-04-12, 09:56 PM
PTmobile
Driver

For what it matter , I'm in Houston area not dallas. Also so its made clear I have -0- vested interest in whether it is applied or not. I can only talk about my application that was done by this individual who does all the Work for one of the Lexus dealers here. I have had absolute zero issues with film and can only imagine what the front hood would like w/o it on. Had es330 2004 and never had paint protection appplied and rock chips all across front when i sold it.
I can also say he had a lot more expensive cars there ( from nearby dealers) that my 40k car and would seriously doubt they would be letting him touch their vehicles if customers were coming back because application wasnt holding up. He work is 100% guaranteed for lifetime you own vehicle . Maybe Dallas installer is doing something different...not sure , but again they dont put this on expensive cars and hoping for a maybe !!!
Not sure who your post was directed at but I was simply stating a fact about paint protection film. Installs are done the same basic way wether in Dallas, Houston, or where ever... same materials with same basic install techniques. Sure having film on is better than no film at all... but my point was Lexus typically preloads 3M from the port. They also offer it at the dealerships. I would stay away from it. I dont care who your installer is they will not stand behind the film for the lifetime of it... just try and take a car back to him after 6-7 years and see what happens. The installer doesnt warranty the film... the film manufacturer does. And the installer is not going to give money away replacing film for free after 10 years when it only has a 5 year warranty. If you are going to get an install you might as well go with a good film... one that does have a 10 yeasr or lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Xpel Ultimate and Avery Nano Fusion are the only two right now...
Old 04-05-12, 01:58 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used VentureShield on my Lexus and just had it applied on my new Odyssey this week. 3M purchased VentureShield a few years ago. The two Installers I talked with claim it was because of the rap 3M's own product had. The mistake I made with my Lexus was not having it done in the 24" wide vs the 12" strip. I'd swear the pebbles skim over the film no matter how far back it goes and lands on the paint to spite me!!!
Old 04-06-12, 05:33 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by John U
I've used VentureShield on my Lexus and just had it applied on my new Odyssey this week. 3M purchased VentureShield a few years ago. The two Installers I talked with claim it was because of the rap 3M's own product had. The mistake I made with my Lexus was not having it done in the 24" wide vs the 12" strip. I'd swear the pebbles skim over the film no matter how far back it goes and lands on the paint to spite me!!!
LOL, yeah they seem to do that. Dont feel bad though, no matter how far back you go with it they seem to land just behind the edge. I installed the full hood/fenders, and full roof on my dads 2008 Viper. His only rock chip is one that arced over the car and landed on the rear deck lid. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Paint protection film, how much is it?