ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Reprogramming new code for FOB

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 01:41 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reprogramming new code for FOB

Last week, i've lost my smart key (probably stolen) from my workplace, so i had to use the 2nd set. Since the lost key is where i work everyday, i'm afraid that the car is not safe anymore.

I've called various dealerships to find out if they can change the code on the remaining smart key and at my surprise, nobody knows for sure if it can be done, even at Lexus Canada, the answer is ??? All they can do is to make me buy another smart key with the same code program....

Has anybody encounter this situation before ? Let face it, i have to remake another set for safety reason but with the same code, i don't feel safe.

Any opinions.
Old 03-24-10, 03:03 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I received my car with one key fob from another car and mine was never located so when replacing the key fob I believe the service tech said he removed the missing code from my car so I still had whatever the number is (5 total I believe) remaining. So I am assuming from this that it can be done by the dealer and I think you are wise to look into it. It is not an uncommon practice for thieves to steal a key or key fob from a car being serviced and the next day or so take your car and drive it away. There is usually something with your home address easily accessible in the car at the time they take the key.

Dave Mac
Old 03-24-10, 07:58 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think right now, i have to use a Club on my car just to make sure that an inexperience thief will have difficulty taking my car. My strongest hypothesis is that it is stolen from work, but it has been 3 days that my car is parked at work without no attempt. It maybe that i simply drop the key from my pocket (which i doubt, i have deep pocket) and someone pick it up and can't find my car and give up....

I got a call from my dealership stating that the master mechanic from Lexus is inquiring on my case and if the computer can wipe out the old code for a new one. In the extreme case, i can install a security system on my car. I'm strongly thinking of removing the lexus label on my FOB to avoid that situation again.