ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recommendations for New Tires for ES350

Old 05-22-13, 12:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisW201
I just Purchased Bridgestone Serenity Plus from Tire Rack last week and I think I couldn't have made a better choice ! I've had Michelin Tires ( you pay for the Name ). My only recommendation is to go to Lexus to Install them..I went to Pep Boys ( a little Attitude) and me back Sensor I later discovered was broken. ( Auto Body place blames them ???? I also went to Lexus twice after picking up my Vehicle. Who knows ??? I'm glad I have good Insurance with Liberty Mutual...
The Serenity Plus seems to be a new tire. Tire Rack customers seem to like them a lot:

If there's one in your area I'd suggest Discount Tire. I've used them for years and have had zero issues.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for New Tires for ES350-tires.jpg  
Old 05-22-13, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Here's the issue...look at the miles reported, 430,485 (the lowest of any tire on that list) compared to the Primacy MXV4's almost 16,000,000. Statistically when the sample size is low the results turn out either better or worse, when you have a huge sample size like they have for the Primacy, the result "regresses to the mean".

I've seen a lot of these Bridgestone tires come and go, and even bought a set of the LS-V once which became the Serenity line. Once the sample size gets bigger and the results of those surveys regresses to the mean they look a lot less exciting...then guess what Bridgestone does? Renames the tire and now they start all over with surveys and the same thing happens.

The fact that the Primacy is so highly rated even with such a large sample size really speaks to their quality.

My issue with every set of Bridgestones I've had, including the LS-V which was in the same survey position as the Serenity is above at the time, is that they are great for 15k miles...then get loud. Since the Serenity is a new tire, those reviews are of new tires.

Smart money buys the Primacy which is a proven tire IMHO
Old 05-22-13, 07:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Hey Guy

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just showing you the results of Tire Rack's current readers survey. I do state in my post that the tire seems to be new. BTW, I like Michelins too. My wife's ES has a set, and our truck does also. My ISF is running on Bridgestones, rated 2nd behind the Michelin in the Max Performance Tire category. I bought them because Michelin did not make this tire in the size I needed. I am very happy with the Bridgestones, however.

Anyway, I posted this for information, as this Bridgestone seems to be another option for ES owners.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 05-22-13 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing either just discussing the topic...if it came across that I had some issue with your viewpoint that's absolutely not the case...
Old 05-25-13, 06:58 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Had the Primacy MXV4s H-rated installed this morning. Cannot believe how much quieter and smoother the ride is over the stock Bridgestone's that came on the car. Only was able to get 30K on the Bridgestone's which is better than what a lot of other owners have reported.

Discount Tires is where I bought mine from. In and out the door in 50 minutes. Great customer service and DT has a $100 rebate on a set of four this weekend. Ended up with a better price than Tire Rack and it includes free rotations and balancing.
Old 05-28-13, 09:02 AM
DennisW201
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get Bridgestone Serenity Plus ! Just got them about a week or two ago on my 2010 ES350. My Car came with the Turanza ( low end ) and they were horrible. They should have been replaced by the Dealer at the time of Sale ( 11/12) along with Update on Nav and Repaired Rim but I was an Idiot when they gave me the Wink to give an Excellent Review when contacted by Lexus.( Thumbs Down on Lexus Massapequa....they could care less about Excellance....only taking your $$. Anyhow, I've Driven these on Dry and Wet Roads and they make you appreciate having a Luxury Car.....and that's Driving on NY and NJ Roads Post Sandy !
Old 07-03-13, 04:29 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Default Michelin Primacy MXV4 Question

Question, had issues with vibration/drifting of the car after having new Michelin Primacy MXV4s put on at 36k miles. Just had the car into Lexus at 40k miles. Found out the tire shop that put the tires on did not properly balance them. One was out considerably. Lexus also fixed the off center steering wheel and corrected that.

The car drives much better now since the balancing and fix by the Lexus dealer. What I noticed now is, since Lexus has worked on it, the tires seem to be louder, now that the weight has been adjusted. The mechanic told me these tires are louder than the stock Michelin Energy MXV8s that came OEM on the car.

Has anybody else have had problems with road noise on the Primacy MXV4s? They are rated top notch for noise comfort so I'm at a lose. I got the V-speed rating tires on. Could that be why they are louder now? Do the H-speed rating ones run smoother/quieter over the V-rated ones?

BTW - The ride quality has been top notch on the these Primacy MXV4 V-Rated tires. It's just the noise level that's change dramatically now that they have been properly aligned and balanced by Lexus.

Last edited by smarty666; 07-03-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-03-13, 06:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smarty666
What I noticed now is, since Lexus has worked on it, the tires seem to be louder, now that the weight has been adjusted. The mechanic told me these tires are louder than the stock Michelin Energy MXV8s that came OEM on the car.
He's full of it. Every review says they are quieter, I've had them on the car and they are silent. Proper balance will not increase noise.

Have you checked the tire pressure? Dealers love to overinflate tires. Make sure they are set to the appropriate 30PSI. I bet this is the issue.
Old 07-04-13, 07:37 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
He's full of it. Every review says they are quieter, I've had them on the car and they are silent. Proper balance will not increase noise.

Have you checked the tire pressure? Dealers love to overinflate tires. Make sure they are set to the appropriate 30PSI. I bet this is the issue.
I replaced the JUNK Michelin S8s on my 07 with hankook optimos and I couldn't be happier. Quieter, better ride, no more squealing, and they handle awesome. Very stiff sidewall barely any flex under cornering
Old 07-04-13, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the S8 is not a great tire by any assessment...
Old 07-04-13, 10:19 AM
smarty666
Rookie

That's what I was thinking. I've read nothing but great things about their noise level. I'm going to check the PSI tomorrow as your right, the dealerships love to overinflate tires. I once had an Acura dealer inflate to 45 PSI cold. No one has beat that yet, lol.
Old 07-04-13, 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, got my GS back from the 10k mile service, tires were supposed to be 33, they said on the invoice they aired them to 35...and they were 38.
Old 07-04-13, 10:24 AM
smarty666
Rookie

Yep, got my GS back from the 10k mile service, tires were supposed to be 33, they said on the invoice they aired them to 35...and they were 38.
Yeap, most dealers I've seen 38-42 PSI cold, lol.

By the way, the MXV4s you have now, are they the H or the V rated tire? Reason I ask is, I've seen a few who had both and said the H-rated were a bit quieter/smoother than the V-rated.
Old 07-04-13, 03:47 PM
RTSM
Driver

I'm having 225/55/17 MXM4's V series installed tomorrow. I'll let you know my initial opinion once I have them on for a while. I currently have the crappy Bridgestone EL400 banana peels on now, finally enough wear on them to get them replaced. I put the MXV4's (215/55/17) on my wife's car and they are super quite and offer a great ride however I want just a tad better performance and slightly larger tire. We had the Turanza's on my wife's car before and the MXV4's are better imho.
Old 07-04-13, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have the MXM4 on the GS. Its a nice tire, but you won't get any benefit from its performance characteristics on the ES IMHO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations for New Tires for ES350