ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Acceleration Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 11:10 AM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acceleration Recall

Has anybody heard what Lexus position is/will be on the acceleration recall? Specifically, one of the 'solution's I heard proposed was that because the throttle is electric-driven rather than mechanical linkage, it would be easy to have a step on the brake pedal (activation of the brake lights) interrupt the throttle position causing the spring to return the throttle to idle. This seems so much more elegant and positive a solution. I would definately like to have that done to my 2010 ES but when (or if) it will happen?
Old 01-09-10, 06:16 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend who works at the local Lexus dealer told me we will be getting a recall letter to have the accellerator pedal shortened.
Old 01-09-10, 08:02 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have the letter to pass over for repair. According to my letter, they may replace the mat with new configuration, reconfigure the shape of the accelerator pedal ??!!! and install a protection device under the hood to kill the motor if brake and accelerator pedals are applied at the same time.

Last edited by Blueshark; 01-09-10 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 04:01 AM
EmJayES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C177 Pilot
Has anybody heard what Lexus position is/will be on the acceleration recall? Specifically, one of the 'solution's I heard proposed was that because the throttle is electric-driven rather than mechanical linkage, it would be easy to have a step on the brake pedal (activation of the brake lights) interrupt the throttle position causing the spring to return the throttle to idle. This seems so much more elegant and positive a solution. I would definately like to have that done to my 2010 ES but when (or if) it will happen?
Part one will be to shorten the accelerator pedal. Part two will be a newly designed accelerator pedal plus a software update so that pressing down on the brake stops the car regardless of the throttle position.
Old 01-10-10, 05:46 AM
Richard95
Rookie

What year ES350 is this recall for? Is 2010 affected?
Old 01-10-10, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've read Toyota vehicle made after 1/1/10 will have that feature unless they changed that to a total recall.
Old 01-13-10, 07:12 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Originally Posted by Richard95
What year ES350 is this recall for? Is 2010 affected?
2007 -2010

Pedal will be reshaped, carpet pad under accellerator modified and engine reflashed to reduce power if gas and brake applied together. (will not effect those that drive with both feet!) Anyone that's purchased Lexus all weather mats will be given new front mats when the old ones are returned. Lexus will also clean vehicle and top off fuel.
Old 01-13-10, 10:33 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

I don't think they know what happened to those folks. It's really sad and obviously investigating all possibilities is required and prudent but there is no way I can get my all weather mat to bind the accellerator even on top of my regular mats. I like the fact that they are putting in safeguards to make it easier to kill the engine though. Most people were never told to hold the start button.
Old 01-13-10, 11:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ESBob72
I don't think they know what happened to those folks. It's really sad and obviously investigating all possibilities is required and prudent but there is no way I can get my all weather mat to bind the accellerator even on top of my regular mats. I like the fact that they are putting in safeguards to make it easier to kill the engine though. Most people were never told to hold the start button.
Toyota's safeguard is not the killing the engine.The safeguard is the vehicle can't accelerate with the brake applied.
Neutral is the best thing to do.If you hold the button for the 3 seconds and your engine cuts off,you'll lose your braking very quickly.Should work at 50-60MPH but not at a 100+.
Old 01-13-10, 01:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ESBob72
Does your car have the reconfigured drivers side floor mat? Sometime back in early '08 the original mat was recalled and one with a revised shape was issued to owners at that time. I have the new one and agree, that one is hard to make it interfere with the pedal.
Old 01-14-10, 12:22 PM
WinesRus2
Driver School Candidate

It seems that nobody wants to come out and say that this is USER ERROR regarding the use of the winter floor mats. The user manual as well as common since says to NOT put the winter mats on top of the regular summer mats. Also make sure that the mats are secured over the attaching lug. The attaching lug holes are useless for the top mats and allow them to slide forward and interfere with the throttle.
Old 01-14-10, 12:34 PM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Does your car have the reconfigured drivers side floor mat? Sometime back in early '08 the original mat was recalled and one with a revised shape was issued to owners at that time. I have the new one and agree, that one is hard to make it interfere with the pedal.
Joeb427 Thanks for clearing that up. I am glad that they are making any corrections for safety and certainly what you described makes better sense than killing the engine. My point was that they never addressed any of those possible issues when I purchased the car in early 07. Nobody had thought that there would be a problem but your natural instinct, or at least mine would be to turn the ignition switch off. If you hit the button it won't do it. It does kind of leave you in a state of what to do next especially accellerating as fast as this car will accellerate. I would assume I would stand on the brake but don't you think he (the trooper in Ca.) would have done that? A fix as you described will be the best fix but it might have been useful to tell people when they buy the car that holding the button will kill the engine if all else fails. I found out on this site after a tragedy.

LexBob- The mats I have say right on them not to put them on top of the regular floor mats. I bought them after I had the car from the dealer. Are they the reconfigured ones??
Old 01-14-10, 03:21 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Update, all the dealerships around my area is not doing the recall on my car even thought i have the letter that my car is on the list. They all say that i have to wait for Lexus Canada to give the go to dealerships. So i have to wait.....
Old 01-15-10, 07:51 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Originally Posted by WinesRus2
It seems that nobody wants to come out and say that this is USER ERROR regarding the use of the winter floor mats. The user manual as well as common since says to NOT put the winter mats on top of the regular summer mats. Also make sure that the mats are secured over the attaching lug. The attaching lug holes are useless for the top mats and allow them to slide forward and interfere with the throttle.
Manufacturers today not only have to build in safeguards for the intended use of the product, but also against unintended misuse! Not always easy to make something idiot proof. In this case it appears the idiot was the dealership employee that put a loaner car out with unsecured all weather mats.
Old 01-15-10, 10:52 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

If you turn off the engine while in motion the steering will lock and you will be unable to control where the car goes. Put the car in N and pull over while pressing the brake.

So your car is accelerating out of control. What do you do?
1. Put the car in N.
2. Apply the brake.
3. Pull over to the side of the road.
4. Clean your pants.
5. Call Roadside Assistance and document.
6. Turn off the car sometime later.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Recall