ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

07 ES350 Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 07:11 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07 ES350 Reliability?

Hey guys and gals - I'm currently trying to figure out what car I want next. My '99 LS has served me well (never been in the shop since I've owned it except for brakes/tires/oil), but it's showing it's age and due to a new job with a longer commute, I want something a little more fuel efficient as well as something that will be a little cheaper to maintain. I'll be looking to sell the LS in a few months when the wife's car is paid off.

Problem is - I really like the V8 power.. no way I could handle a 4 banger for everyday use. I also really like all the lux features my car has - everything from the HID lights, memory seats, auto dim mirrors... well, you know. I dig all the gadgetry in these cars not to mention their rock solid reliability.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to walk into a dealer and plunk down $40k for a new car - this LS really has spoiled me (purchased used 4 yrs ago) and I don't think I could handle a bland car like a Camry or Accord - both which can't be had with many of the lux features I really enjoy.

The Avalon is something I've considered also as it's nice and roomy, but the dash is kinda weird for my tastes and it seems to have an old man stigma associated with it. I'm only 34. Then again, my LS isn't exactly a young person's car either. I will admit the LS doesn't attact any attention even though I drive with a lead foot.

This brings me to the '07 ES350 - I like it since it has the latest generation interior, plenty of HP, nice styling, great features, and reportedly good mileage. The problem is that the 07 is the first year of this model and I'm a little apprehensive about picking this model. Oh yeah - my budget will pretty much be mid to upper $20k range so I think this eliminates anything newer - at least at this point in time.

I've read about issues with a rough, cold idling engine and little things here and there (i.e. rubber buttons on steering wheel wearing out) on early model ES350s. Are these probs isolated to a particular VIN range or production date range?

I really don't want something older than an '07 if I can get away with it. The '07 GS350 is sweet, but I think would be too much $$. I even like the IS, but it's too tiny. I need room for a child seat (2 yr old) and possibly a second one in the near future.

Sorry for the long post - but since I've been given the green light about a new car in the upcoming months by my accountant, er wife.. it's all I can think about.. and she's already tired of hearing me debate this to myself...heh.

Any info on things I should look out for when considering an '07 ES would be mucho appreciated.......

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-09, 07:59 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2007 ES350, leased in 9/06 and we purchased at the end of the lease, has 35,000 miles on it and had a new transmission installed on 12/06 with less than 2,000 miles on the car. New transmission has given no problems since. The cold engine noise, there until this day, still baffles / aggravates me but I've learned to put up with it. Has had Mobil One since 5,000 miles and no other engine problems. Lexus replaced the rear brake pads under a TSIB for free. Other than that, no other problems to report. I did but the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty as a safety valve, good until 9/2013 or 100,000 miles. Just in case something very $$$ goes.
Old 12-23-09, 01:23 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a used 2007 ES350 myself recently. Too soon to comment on reliability, but some of the small annoyances are there: gas tank thump, cold engine "cricketing". No complaints about wind noise, did not see 3/4 shift flare yet either. So any problems probably are not converging in particular cars, it's more of a luck what you get, maybe a problem-free car. Overall very happy with the car, beats my 2003 Maxima in every department. If you'll shop for 2007 year model, make sure it is a late production car. I was lucky to get one built in June 2007, but there are some out there made in the first half of 2006 - they may have more issues. I took the plunge and bought one, but now I probably would be more careful with a thorough test drive.
Before settling on ES350, I was salivating over 2005-2006 LS430, which some reviews call "the best car ever built". In addition to rock solid reliability, being the last year for the model helps with price too - basically on par with 2007 ES. Very nice car indeed, but all the goodies can be had on the 2007+ ES350 too, and then some, like MP3 CD changer - very sweet. And the styling goes in favor of ES.
Old 12-23-09, 01:32 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No problem for me either. Bought mine in the fall of 07. Oil every 5000. Needed tires @ 30,000 went in for 30,00 mile service at dealership. I had a shimmy when applying the brakes hard. They resurfaced the rotors and install new pads. Under warranty. Bought Yokohomas Avid 4S for like $620. w/nitrogen. Don't know if it helps but it was for free. I had had it before from a Toyota dealer in the old tires, (it was some kind of promotion and it was free also). That has been the only thing I've had done. I had an 02 ES 300 before that and never had any problem with that either. I guess I have the cold engine noise, it doesn't bother me.
Old 12-23-09, 02:43 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
I've got a used 2007 ES350 myself recently. Too soon to comment on reliability, but some of the small annoyances are there: gas tank thump, cold engine "cricketing". No complaints about wind noise, did not see 3/4 shift flare yet either. So any problems probably are not converging in particular cars, it's more of a luck what you get, maybe a problem-free car. Overall very happy with the car, beats my 2003 Maxima in every department. If you'll shop for 2007 year model, make sure it is a late production car. I was lucky to get one built in June 2007, but there are some out there made in the first half of 2006 - they may have more issues. I took the plunge and bought one, but now I probably would be more careful with a thorough test drive.
Before settling on ES350, I was salivating over 2005-2006 LS430, which some reviews call "the best car ever built". In addition to rock solid reliability, being the last year for the model helps with price too - basically on par with 2007 ES. Very nice car indeed, but all the goodies can be had on the 2007+ ES350 too, and then some, like MP3 CD changer - very sweet. And the styling goes in favor of ES.
I, too, really love the 05/06 LS430, but right now I can probably only swing the price of an 05 model, which is older than I want to purchase. Aside from that, the mileage wouldn't be any better than what I have now and the payments would be higher.

Also like you, my previous car was a Maxima - a 2002 SE in particular. I leased that brand new but it had its share of issues - Bose stereo replaced 3 times and even the trans was replaced before 20k miles. It would eat up brakes also and I even had to replace the crap stock Potenza tires after a year since they were dangerously slippery. Here i thought I wouldn't have to do much on a 3 yr lease.

My LS400 was 6 yrs old when I got it with over 100k miles (private sale with full service history) and it's nicer than the Maxima was even when new.

My cousin who is a Toyota mechanic tells me the loud warm up on the 3.5L engine is typical due to it being a chain driven cam instead of a belt like on the LS engine. He says any Toyota with that engine has this trait... I think that Lexus owners just hold their cars to a higher standard (they should!)

I'm wondering if the '08 ES is any better in terms of quirks - if so, I might just hold out for that if I can swing it. Now that I think about it - it'll probably be May before I'm ready to purchase... maybe the values will drop a little bit more.

Oh yeah - I've read that the non-Mark Levinson stereo is pretty weak. I don't have the Nak in my LS but it sounds pretty darn good. I only wish it had steering wheel audio controls!

I appreciate all the comments and info........keep 'em coming.
Old 12-23-09, 03:30 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 7/06 build ES UL. I would look at an 08 or 09. The first model year bugs were fixed on the 08. Take a look at my recent post on the oil pressure hose, I just picked my car up tonight.

As to the standard radio on the ES, it is not up to luxury car standards. I have the ML, which is much better.

As to the cold engine knock on the 3.5L, I have driven about 6 different ES loaners and 2 RX loaners, as well as a Sienna van. All had different levels of cold engine knock. In fact, the 2010 RX loaner that I just returned was so quiet, seems Lexus resolved the issue. My 07 has the worst cold engine knock than every other 3.5L that I have driven. As Garsarno stated, I live with it too and am used to it. But, I am not happy about it.

My opinion, if you could find a great price on an 08 UL package, I think the car will serve you well. The upgraded leather, pano roof, ML sound, and some other pluses make the UL package worth it...at least to me.

Good luck
Old 12-23-09, 04:16 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound of your audio system is only as good as your source. If you are mostly listening to FM radio and MP3 player through AUX input (nice feature on 2007+ ES) then ML system is an overkill. I am happy with the base stereo, having 6 CD's with 100+ MP3s each is awesome, it has decent sound quality, enough bass and plenty loud for me. I would leave quality music to listening at home, there is always some noise in the car to spoil the enjoyment. I can live without navigation and upgraded stereo - they add too much to the price of the car.
Old 12-23-09, 05:15 PM
carcass29
Rookie

I bought an 2007 manufactures date 8/07 last March...so far it doesnt have any noticable problems other than my trans rpms shoot up a grand or 2 for a second...dont think its anything major...just think its the computer thinking(or at least I hope so) done 11 miles so far and its a pretty stable car in my opinion..got Yoko V4s tires as well....I paid 28K with tax and platinum warranty at a Toyota Dealership.
Old 12-23-09, 05:47 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Your transmission shooting up a grand or two is the classic tranny flare on the 07's. There is a tech bulletin on this, which is a flash update. Take it to your dealer for the fix...it should not cost you anything.
Old 12-23-09, 05:47 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
I have a 7/06 build ES UL. I would look at an 08 or 09. The first model year bugs were fixed on the 08. Take a look at my recent post on the oil pressure hose, I just picked my car up tonight.

As to the standard radio on the ES, it is not up to luxury car standards. I have the ML, which is much better.

As to the cold engine knock on the 3.5L, I have driven about 6 different ES loaners and 2 RX loaners, as well as a Sienna van. All had different levels of cold engine knock. In fact, the 2010 RX loaner that I just returned was so quiet, seems Lexus resolved the issue. My 07 has the worst cold engine knock than every other 3.5L that I have driven. As Garsarno stated, I live with it too and am used to it. But, I am not happy about it.

My opinion, if you could find a great price on an 08 UL package, I think the car will serve you well. The upgraded leather, pano roof, ML sound, and some other pluses make the UL package worth it...at least to me.

Good luck
Yeah - the UL features are something that really are attractive to me - an 08 UL would be IDEAL. Hopefully I can find a deal like I did on my LS. An old man who kept meticulous records and let it go for well under KBB. He only got rid of the LS since he found a deal on a newer 430.

If the 08s really seem to make a difference, I think that is my best choice. The next several months are going to be tough on me - might just go to a Carmax around here to test drive one for S&Gs.
Old 12-23-09, 06:00 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

When talking used, the UL is probably only a couple grand more than a PP+.

There were a couple other improvements on the 08's. Lexus redesigned the side mirrors to reduce wind noise. They are slightly smaller. Also, I believe it was 08 when they improved the interior lighting. On the 07, when dark outside, the interior does not light up that bright. Lexus quickly made an improvement on this...double check, but I believe it was 08...if not, 09.

I know too much about this car, I need to get a life.
Old 12-23-09, 06:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have an early build (4/06) '07 ES350 which I bought new in 5/06. To date, knock on wood, zero problems or issues. In fact, no warranty or TSIB work in those 3 1/2 years.

It's been back to the dealer for 1. The 3yr/36k service, 2. The complimentary 1k service after purchase, 3. Detailing which was included with the purchase.

I'd certainly buy another one, unless something else catches my eye when I start looking maybe in the spring.
Old 12-23-09, 07:04 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
When talking used, the UL is probably only a couple grand more than a PP+.

There were a couple other improvements on the 08's. Lexus redesigned the side mirrors to reduce wind noise. They are slightly smaller. Also, I believe it was 08 when they improved the interior lighting. On the 07, when dark outside, the interior does not light up that bright. Lexus quickly made an improvement on this...double check, but I believe it was 08...if not, 09.

I know too much about this car, I need to get a life.
I right there with ya - I have so much useless car and motorcycle knowledge in my head... too bad I can't profit off of it. Good to hear about the lighting, as I read how the interior lighting (LED apparently) is pretty weak. If it's not on the 08 that wouldn't keep me from making a purchase though...

I also just read about the mirrors, however I looked at pics of 07 and 08 models and can't seem to see a difference. I guess it's pretty minor? Hey as long as they're heated I'm a happy camper. Past three cars have had heated mirrors and I won't give that up. Even my '96 T-bird had them. I'll never forget it one time - someone was in the car, "how come it says 'heated' on the mirrors??" "Um.... cause they're heated." Ask a stupid question.....
Old 12-24-09, 03:56 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MadMAx thanks for the tip of the timing chain/ belt. Now I don't have to worry about the noise. But then again, I wasn't really worried anyway.
Old 12-24-09, 05:28 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Chain or belt in 07 ES350?

I note this comment
My cousin who is a Toyota mechanic tells me the loud warm up on the 3.5L engine is typical due to it being a chain driven cam instead of a belt like on the LS engine. He says any Toyota with that engine has this trait... I think that Lexus owners just hold their cars to a higher standard (they should!)

We purchased an 07 ES350 in October and when i inquired i was told it has a belt? My06 Rav4 has a chain. I was surprised, but the above comment contradicts the dealers comment.

Happy Holidays to all.

Quick Reply: 07 ES350 Reliability?