ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil pressure hose failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 01:31 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info. I thought you would get a laugh (I don't know whether to laugh or cry), but I checked the part number on my receipt and the dealer replaced my blown pipe with another rubber one. So, I have a band aid. But, I can assure you that I will not own this car by the time this one wears out.

What really stinks is that my wife was thinking of replacing our Pilot with a new Highlander, but after this issue, she wants to stick with Honda. Who can blame her?

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-09, 03:00 PM
racingt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Wow! Wouldn't make any owner with this engine confident taking the car on a long trip.
Who? I'm not worried to travel with my car, 19K on the clock. No recall letter - yet I will still pursue a metal replacement pipe through Lexus. I have an 'in' with the dealer. Too bad Lexus doesn't recall every vehicle possibly affected and change over to metal pipes- that would be a good PR move.
Old 12-30-09, 03:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm not really worried either. We're planning a long driving vacation right now. If I get a notice I'll take my car in.
Old 01-02-10, 06:56 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Well, as expected, I ran into my boating buddy yesterday at the very good NYD party. Anyway, he is one of the lead techs at our local Lexus dealer. He said I needed to wait until I got a letter before bringing mine in. What's worse is they are replacing with the updated rubber line and I could not pay them for the all metal upgrade. WTF?

The cards continue to stack up against keeping this car beyond warranty, which is the main reason I bought another Lexus.

Last edited by Macklin; 01-02-10 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-02-10, 01:11 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting info, Macklin...thanks. Feel a little better than I have I was given a rubber hose as a replacement.

I am still getting a burning oil smell every time a park in the garage after driving. I am also getting some dime sized oil droplets on the garage floor. The dealer says I need to keep driving it to burn the residual oil off the engine and frame rails, from the mess. They cleaned the top of the engine very well. However, if it continues for another week, back it goes to the dealer.
Old 01-02-10, 04:21 PM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

Checked my mother's 2008 ES 350 today (build date 11/07), Made in Japan. She has the "old rubber design". On the side of the rubber it says in yellow letters: AT OIL ACM. It's the same piece of s@#% as the rubber that was replaced on my 2007 RX 350 last week. The new, "improved" rubber should have the following designation on its side: KK20 OIL>ACM FKM. Toyota better start sending the campaign letters very soon before more people start getting the line raptures. Below I am posting a picture of the "bad" rubber, taken from another forum. This is what you want to have replaced with an "improved" design!!!!!!!!You can even see in the picture how the "old" rubber is starting to get soft, and it's visible how the metal clamp is squeezing the mushy, deteriorating rubber. I definitely would not want to drive any car with rubber ready to explode any minute. I think "AT" designation stands for automatic transmission, and Toyota simply put wrong rubber hose, designed to carry automatic transmission fluid, in the wrong place!?!?!?!?!?!?
Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure hose failed-1.jpg  

Last edited by krzysiu; 01-02-10 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 04:29 PM
racingt
Rookie

Originally Posted by krzysiu
Checked my mother's 2008 ES 350 today (build date 11/07), Made in Japan. She has the "old rubber design". On the side of the rubber it says in yellow letters: AT OIL ACM. It's the same piece of s@#% as the rubber that was replaced on my 2007 RX 350 last week. The new, "improved" rubber should have the following designation on its side: KK20 OIL>ACM FKM. Toyota better start sending the campaign letters very soon before more people start getting the line raptures. Below I am posting a picture of the "bad" rubber, taken from another forum. This is what you want to have replaced with an "improved" design!!!!!!!!You can even see in the picture how the "old" rubber is staring to get soft, and it's visible how the metal clamp is squeezing the soft, deteriorating rubber.
Nice info!
Old 01-04-10, 04:20 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone deserves a second chance. Call me crazy! Traded the Pilot in for a new 2010 Highlander today, with the same 3.5 V6. The car-like ride is what sold the wife. So, we will see how this baby runs. So far, no cold engine knock, and no oil leaks
Old 01-05-10, 03:08 PM
racingt
Rookie

Just checked my car and noticed I have the 'bad' rubber hose codes as listed above. No recall letter. Lexus will be hearing from me.
Old 01-07-10, 10:30 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To get the oil out of your driveway saturate the stained area with Dawn liquid dishwashing soap. Leave it there. Don't try and wash it off. Rain and time will dissolve the stain. This works best on a fresh stain. Haven't tried it on an old stain.

I did the epoxy coat thing to my garage. Took forever moving everything out and putting it all back. But it was worth it. I wish I could do the same to the driveway.
Old 01-08-10, 08:26 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
ELEX,

Keep in mind the start of this thread. MD350 who was also an early build (7/06) had his hose fail suddenly at 54k miles & he wasn't part of this campaign either as he didn't receive the letter.
For all of us, waiting for it to fail is really not a good option. There won't be a way to predict the failure even if you look at the hose once a day.
At minimum, the rubber should be replaced for any customer soonest if you've got any amount of mileage on it. According to the google link above, somewhere around 45-50k miles is a good time to start thinking about replacement. If you can swing the metal line, that is the best option regardless.

I spoke to my dealer about my car and they totally agreed with me that the "metal oil line" was the correct fix....even with the "923 campaign", replacing it with another rubber hose (even if it is "improved") is simply a band aid.
The rubber hoses will fail, just a matter of time.
The metal oil line is the only permanent and correct fix.
If anyone contacts Lexus corporate or their dealer and they question that there is a problem, you could always ask them why did Toyota/Lexus make the change on all newer 2GR-FE engines to the all metal line.
WE ALL KNOW THE ANSWER to that question.

I've opened a case with LEXUS corporate and they are going to contact my dealer about it.
I'll let you all know how I make out.

Happy New Year to all !
Well, after some back and forth with Lexus Corporate over the past week, they are doing the right thing in my case. My dealer was very supportive of my concerns which I believe helped as well.
Even though I was not included in the Campaign 923 (mine was an early build 6/06), they agreed to replace my "rubber line" with the all metal line and cover it under warranty due to my concerns.
Guess times like these that Lexus division will do some things that Toyota division/dealers won't do sometimes.
Dealer now just has to get the parts.
Old 01-08-10, 09:50 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Good for you NJ!
Old 01-09-10, 06:21 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Good news NJ! I will call the service manager direct (with this info) and see if he echos what my friend said before going to Corporate.
Old 01-09-10, 08:03 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD350
Thank you for the info. I thought you would get a laugh (I don't know whether to laugh or cry), but I checked the part number on my receipt and the dealer replaced my blown pipe with another rubber one. So, I have a band aid. But, I can assure you that I will not own this car by the time this one wears out.

What really stinks is that my wife was thinking of replacing our Pilot with a new Highlander, but after this issue, she wants to stick with Honda. Who can blame her?

Happy New Year!
MD350, IIRC you had the transmission flare problem with your '07 ES350 and unsuccessfully tried to get Lexus to fix it or buy it back. Now, your engine's oil line bursts. Is Lexus Corporate making any effort to keep you a customer for your next purchase? I think that a fair number of owners of '07 ES350s may defect to other brands considering the number of major problems they have. I'm seriously rethinking my brand loyalty due to a clunky transmission and piston slap, and those things pale in comparison to a self destructing engine.
Old 01-09-10, 10:45 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My car has the engine knock and Lexus did nothing about it. Dealer and Lexus customer service admit there is a noise, but it is normal characteristics of the car. The flare is minor, I never had the major flare and am afraid to do any flash updates. I live with it. I am sure, however, Lexus would do an update on the tranny if I wanted them to do it.

As to the oil issue, that was a huge disappointment. Even today, my car still smells of burning oil when I park it in the garage after use. There must be residual oil on the engine frame or something. I'll give it another week and I will take it back. The car will probably never be the same since oil was sprayed all over the place.

Toyota/Lexus ride is far superior than Acura/Honda, so I may be doing another Lexus again. I'll see about getting a good deal when I am ready. May get Lexus corporate involved in the negotiation. My wife just chose a 2010 Highlander Limited last week and could be badged a Lexus. We'll see how that runs. So far, no engine knock, a smooth 5 speed tranny, and no defects found.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure hose failed