ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 01:43 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million cars

2007-2010 Lexus ES350 series, the floor mats interfere with the accelerator.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...lls&id=7038979

The government is warning owners of Toyota and Lexus vehicles about safety problems linked to removable floor mats. They say the mats could interfere with the vehicle's accelerator and cause a crash.

The Transportation Department says owners should take out the floor mats on the driver's side and not replace them. A large vehicle recall is expected later Tuesday.
Story continues below
Advertisement

The consumer alert affects 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.

Toyota ordered dealers to inspect their cars for mismatched floor mats after a mat was suspected of snagging a gas pedal on a runaway Lexus in California. The August crash killed four family members.
Old 09-29-09, 05:00 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the floor mat is installed properly this should not be a problem. Installing an all weather floor mat on top of an already 'in place' floor mat has been indicated as the cause for the stuck accelerator pedal. Has anyone had a problem with the accelerator getting stuck while there was no problem with the mats??? I wonder how Toyota plans to fix this problem as it does not seem to be a problem with their earlier cars...i.e. 2005 ES 330...etc...
Old 09-29-09, 05:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
If the floor mat is installed properly this should not be a problem. Installing an all weather floor mat on top of an already 'in place' floor mat has been indicated as the cause for the stuck accelerator pedal. Has anyone had a problem with the accelerator getting stuck while there was no problem with the mats??? I wonder how Toyota plans to fix this problem as it does not seem to be a problem with their earlier cars...i.e. 2005 ES 330...etc...
The drivers side all-weather mat on the ES350 was recalled a while ago. I agree it shouldn't be a problem if the mat is properly installed. I wonder if the dealers will inspect exisiting mats to make sure they are properly installed, or, if they've been removed per the recall, properly install them and instruct drivers on the correct procedure.

The problem originally surfaced on '07 models and again now, so maybe it just didn't occur on earlier models?
Old 09-29-09, 05:20 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The drivers side all-weather mat on the ES350 was recalled a while ago. I agree it shouldn't be a problem if the mat is properly installed. I wonder if the dealers will inspect exisiting mats to make sure they are properly installed, or, if they've been removed per the recall, properly install them and instruct drivers on the correct procedure.

The problem originally surfaced on '07 models and again now, so maybe it just didn't occur on earlier models?
+1 LexBob2, generally Lexus owners are educated people, they should be able to install their mats once the dealers show them how to do it
Old 09-29-09, 06:29 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Pure speculation on my part but my guess is they covered the situation with Lexus brand mats previously. The problem is what happens when someone uses a mat purchased elsewhere? I bet the recall is for a redesigned accelerator pedal that does not come so close to the floorboard.

Pete
Old 09-29-09, 06:52 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

This is almost to funny to take seriously. I thought maybe they should install a tissue dispenser for the H1N1 sniffles.
Old 09-29-09, 10:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

See Attached Lexus Document. Seems that all is OK.

Lou
Old 09-29-09, 11:38 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imfrickinpossible if you mounted the mats right and not on top of the carpet mats. Toyota's taking a hit for the team.
Old 09-30-09, 12:13 AM
sfolexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota/Lexus should have gotten on top of this a long time ago. It didn't have to take a guy and three of his family members getting killed going 120mph in San Diego to force a recall. This woman in Tennessee experienced something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6d2a...eature=related

I am a former Mercedes S-Class owner and Mercedes figured out how to design the accelerator pedal to avoid potential floor mat issues. The Mercedes gas pedal moves on a fixed pivot on the floor rather than the floating pedal that Lexus uses. Lexus should have anticipated that this could eventualy kill someone and it did. I like Lexus, but they are arrogant and sometimes not much different from other car makers. I hope they pay dearly in terms of reputation and become more careful about their engineering. I know many of you love Lexus, but it disgust me that a guy and his family had to die for this when there were probably multiple close calls around the country that the local/regional/national Lexus reps were aware of. Shame on LEXUS and TOYOTA.
Old 09-30-09, 05:02 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
This is almost to funny to take seriously. I thought maybe they should install a tissue dispenser for the H1N1 sniffles.
I'm sure the new swine flu czar will implement the tissue dispenser plan for all manufactures
Old 09-30-09, 06:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sfolexus
Toyota/Lexus should have gotten on top of this a long time ago. It didn't have to take a guy and three of his family members getting killed going 120mph in San Diego to force a recall. This woman in Tennessee experienced something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6d2a...eature=related

I am a former Mercedes S-Class owner and Mercedes figured out how to design the accelerator pedal to avoid potential floor mat issues. The Mercedes gas pedal moves on a fixed pivot on the floor rather than the floating pedal that Lexus uses. Lexus should have anticipated that this could eventualy kill someone and it did. I like Lexus, but they are arrogant and sometimes not much different from other car makers. I hope they pay dearly in terms of reputation and become more careful about their engineering. I know many of you love Lexus, but it disgust me that a guy and his family had to die for this when there were probably multiple close calls around the country that the local/regional/national Lexus reps were aware of. Shame on LEXUS and TOYOTA.
To me, this seems like more of a dealer and/or operator error vs. the manufacturer. If the mats are properly installed as designed, it wouldn't happen

It's tragic that this and other incidents happened
Old 09-30-09, 09:18 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

According to an article about this recall in today's L.A. Times, 4 people were killed when the accelerator pedal in their Lexus loaner vehicle became stuck. Someone in the car telephoned a 911 Operator and told the operator that the accelerator pedal was stuck and that they could not reduce speed, which they reported then to be at 120 mph. The car crashed soon thereafter.

Here's the article...

Toyota Motor Corp. said it would recall 3.8 million vehicles sold in the United States as it tries to resolve concerns that floor mats in those cars and trucks could cause their gas pedals to become stuck, leading to uncontrollable acceleration.

The recall will be the largest ever in the U.S. for the Japanese carmaker, whose reputation for quality has been dinged by other recalls in recent years. The recall will cover eight models of Toyota and Lexus vehicles, including various years of Camrys, Priuses and Tundra pickups.

Last month, a San Diego man and three passengers were killed in a high-speed crash of a Lexus ES sedan. Before the crash, the driver called 911 to report that the gas pedal was stuck and that the car was going 120 mph. Investigators are trying to determine whether a floor mat played a role in the accident.

Toyota said Tuesday that it had been receiving complaints from consumers about uncontrollable acceleration because of floor mat entrapment dating to 2004, but was moved to act in part because of the San Diego accident and the publicity it has received.

"Obviously the tragic accident in San Diego was certainly an eye-opener for us," said Irv Miller, a Toyota spokesman. "We're trying to raise floor mat awareness."

Toyota said it had been in discussions with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the last week to 10 days on the matter and that it developed the current consumer advisory in consultation with the agency.

"This is an urgent matter," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who oversees the highway safety agency. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

The automaker said it has engineers working on fixing the problem and, once it is resolved, the company will issue the recall notice to owners and cover any costs involved in repairs or the replacement of floor mats.

In the meantime, Toyota is asking owners of the eight models to remove their driver's-side floor mats. If they choose not to, they should at least confirm that they have the correct factory floor mats in the vehicle and that they are properly installed, a spokesman said.

The San Diego accident, which took place Aug. 28, is being investigated by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. Toyota said it didn't know what the probe had found so far and couldn't say conclusively whether it was caused by the floor mat.

The driver in the incident was in a Lexus ES sedan loaner he had received from a dealer, Toyota said Tuesday. The vehicle had incorrectly installed all-weather floor mats, the company said.

Auto safety researcher Sean Kane said his group was reviewing more than 1,500 reports of unintended acceleration involving Toyota and Lexus vehicles since 2000. Although many of the incidents appeared related to the floor mats, Kane said, there may have been other causes, such as electronic control malfunctions.

"This is one of those issues that's going to take some time to unfold," said Kane, founder of Safety Research & Strategies Inc., a Rehoboth, Mass., automotive safety advocacy group.

Toyota noted that the floor mat problem -- caused when the mat slides over the accelerator pedal, preventing it from returning to normal position when the driver's foot is removed -- had been experienced by other manufacturers.

During the 1980s, German automaker Audi issued a series of recalls involving unexpected acceleration problems in some of its cars. Investigators concluded that in many cases, the problem was caused when the driver stepped on the wrong pedal.

The planned recall is the latest black eye for Toyota, which has built itself into the world's biggest carmaker partly on a reputation for building long-lasting, reliable cars.

In the last two years, Toyota has recalled more than 4 million vehicles worldwide because of problems with brakes, window controls, fuel systems, steering and seat belts.

In addition, in September 2007, Toyota recalled "all-weather" floor mats used in 2007 Lexus ES 350 and Camry vehicles in response to complaints that they could slip forward and trap the accelerator pedal. That year, Consumer Reports magazine said it would no longer automatically give Toyota vehicles its coveted "recommended" stamp because of reliability problems.

Toyota recommended a series of measures that could be taken in the event that a floor mat does jam the pedal.

If possible, Toyota said, a driver who is experiencing unintended acceleration because of the mat should try to dislodge it from the gas pedal and then pull over and stop the vehicle.

If the floor mat can't be dislodged, the driver should shift the car into neutral and press the brake pedal down firmly with both feet. Toyota said its brakes are designed to be able to bring vehicles to a full stop, even when the motor is at full throttle.

If that doesn't work, the driver should shut off the engine by turning the key to the "ACC" position. The driver shouldn't remove the key because that action will lock the steering wheel.

In vehicles such as the Prius that are equipped with an engine start-stop button instead of an ignition key, the driver must depress the button continuously for three seconds to turn off the engine. Do not tap the button, the automaker warned.

Some drivers have complained that the neutral gear can be hard to find on some Lexus shifters, Kane said, especially during emergencies.

"Once these vehicles have an unintended acceleration episode, it can be extraordinarily difficult, if not impossible, to find a way to shut the car down," he said.

martin.zimmerman@

latimes.com

ken.bensinger@latimes.com

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times
Old 09-30-09, 09:32 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
There's nothing funny about this at all. Four people lost their lives because they relied on the safety (proper installation of an all-weather floor mat) of a loaner car they received from a Lexus dealer. As someone who themself and who's family members have stepped into a fair share of Lexus loaners, I'm incredulous that this happened. If it were my family member who died like this, because of someone's recklessness and stupidity, I know I would be inconsolable.
Old 09-30-09, 04:22 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Making something idiot-proof imply's there are idiots who should not be driving. No excuse for stupidity. I guess I'm just old fashion and believe that people should be able to use their brains. Then again there is something like 40% of the HS students who fail and drop out of school. Either turn the key off or shift into neutral and hit the brakes.
Old 09-30-09, 04:28 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly cannot conceive how the floor mat can be so propped up on the accelerator pedal that a) you don't notice it and b) that there's enough weight to put the accelerator to the floor and keep it there.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million cars