ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bridgestone Turanza Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 05:09 PM
wilhannes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone Turanza Tires

My 2009 ES350 came with Bridgestone Turanza tires on it. I had hoped it would have Michelins, but sorry to say it did not. My question is - How good are these tires? Does anyone have any experience with them? They seem pretty quiet and it handles decent. Should I start saving my pennies to buy Michelins? Thanks for any input.
Old 04-17-09, 05:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you have the 17" tires, neither the stock Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02, or the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires are rated all that great on Tirerack.com... The best overall tire rating in this category that is the OEM size is the Michelin Primacy MXV4...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...eed_rating=(Y)
Old 04-17-09, 09:35 PM
AmberPearl
Driver School Candidate

These were the worst tires I have ever owned. Had two slow leaks and one flat. They wore out at 22K miles, they were always losing air and setting off the tire pressure monitor and were terrible in handling and braking. They did ride comfortably. My tire shop showed me the tires which were worn smooth on the inside due to slight misalignment. Replaced with Toyo new Veranzas which handle better, do not lose air and seem to be wearing much better. Ride is about the same. Kept the Bridgestone spare but have to keep checking tire pressure.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-17-09, 10:59 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridgestone's Turanza

I guess it depends on who you ask. I have a 2009 Level III ES 350 and I was also hoping to get Michelins as well, those are the only tires I use on my truck. I told my sales consultant that I wanted Michelins but he said he could not guarantee it. When I picked up my car in January, sure enough they had Bridgestone Turanza's installed.

My experience with these tires thus far has been a pleasant surprise, smooth, well balanced, no leaks, good even tread wear, no premature wear (as of yet) and the tire pressure monitor has not come on even once, in spite of the unusual cold winter we experienced here in GA. I would suggest not to worry about the tires and enjoy your Lexus as I am doing. Now my replacement tires?? Yeah will be Michelins.
Old 04-18-09, 06:14 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I told my sales consultant that I wanted Michelins but he said he could not guarantee it. When I picked up my car in January, sure enough they had Bridgestone Turanza's installed.
I told the sales manager I wouldn't take delivery unless it had the Michelin's on it. He swapped the five Michelin's from another vehicle on the lot for me.
Old 04-18-09, 09:11 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I told the sales manager I wouldn't take delivery unless it had the Michelin's on it. He swapped the five Michelin's from another vehicle on the lot for me.
I could have pressed the issue and my sales consultant probably would have switched the Turanza's out for Michelin's, but after I saw the car, I was floored, and yes I checked the tires and I decided just to go with them. So far though, I've had a smooth trouble free ride with the Turanza's, with none of the problems mentioned by some members....
Old 04-23-09, 08:52 AM
Lexanator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Assuming you have the 17" tires, neither the stock Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02, or the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires are rated all that great on Tirerack.com... The best overall tire rating in this category that is the OEM size is the Michelin Primacy MXV4...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...eed_rating=(Y)
+1!!!!

Put Michelin Primacy MXV4 on the wife's 2004 Accord V6 which once had Michelin Energy and found the Primacy to be the BEST tire I have ever owned. Transformed that car like I couldn't believe. Comfort, quite, great feel highway or urban, tracked great, etc...(BUT lost 1/2 to 1 MPG highway....totally worth it...) ...you will not regret this tire.

...THE ONLY TIRE I HAVE EVER HAD THAT LIVED UP TO AND BEYOND THE STUFF ONE READS ON TIRE REVIEWS. I think the Accord I sold to get the wife's ES350 had a much more enjoyable ride. I personally wish I had that Honda back, but the wife loves her new Lexus which...ya, ya, ya.... IS a quieter car, etc.

I will probably fully appreciate the Lexus with better tires.
Old 04-24-09, 03:47 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 07 ES with the Brigestones on it. I have about 24,000 miles on them and I haven't had any problems with them (yet, and not expecting any either). I have rotated them every 5000 miles. I took them off the stock wheels (had about 2000 miles on them) and put on a set of E Sport wheels, (wife & I both hated the stock wheels). Last week (23,500 miles) I had a free deal to put in nitrogen in them from a Toyota dealer near me. They still look to have lots of tread yet (haven't measured). I was thinking about getting another set when these give up the ghost. Haven't gotten noisey like the B F Goodrich TA radials did on our 02 ES.
Old 04-25-09, 05:59 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I may be out of the norm here but I bought the ES as a smooth , quite ride. I have no interest in modifing the suspension or changing tire types. I just want the soft ride. These stock tires are just the right fit. I had just done the 2nd rotation at 11K miles and they look good. Based on the wear I am seeing I suspect I'll get between 25-30K on them. So when that time comes I'll look around to see what the replacement tire would be. It will also be interesting to see if these tires start to "harden" as the milage goes up. Time will tell but I am satisified for now.
Old 04-25-09, 08:47 AM
AmberPearl
Driver School Candidate

After having replaced my tires at 22K miles, I think I have some experience with Bridgestone Turanzas. The Lexus has been a good vehicle for 2 1/2 years with the exception of the tires. The tires were great in the onset. I rotated the tires meticulously at 5K miles. Yes, the tires rode well - that was their only redeeming feature. They kept loosing air setting off the TPM every month or so. That includes the spare. They wear terribly. I have two other sports vehicles which I show and maintain myself. They are older, driven harder and the tires do not lose air.

I had two flats with Turanzas about 1 year ago albeit this was not the tires fault. The tires progressively handled worse. No cornering ability and poor braking. I do realize the ES-350 limitations and I know it is not BMW. Lexus explained the poor performance as a trade between ride, handling and longevity. Ride won. Lexus said the Michelins last longer (about 30k miles).

I did some research and bought the Toyo Versado which handle, brake and ride comfortably and do not lose air. The ride is comparable but I do keep 35 lbs in the tires based on Toyo recommendations. I still have to watch the Turanza spare.

So the bottom line here is my poor experience may be because of a poor batch, mis-alignment or incorrect pressure. Hopefully yours is better. So when you get 25K miles on your tires write and tell us how well they held up and what your experience was.

Amberpearl
Old 04-26-09, 05:36 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

OK , I'll let you know at 25k. Somewhere in 2011.
Old 04-26-09, 05:46 PM
carcass29
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Yokohama Avid V4S on my 07 ES and she's smooooth...great tire

Last edited by carcass29; 04-27-09 at 05:31 AM.