ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 rough shift from P TO R

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 10:17 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES350 rough shift from P TO R

I have a 2007 ES350. Have a strange one for you guys.

When I cold start my car in the morning and i noticed a "bump" when i shift from P to R (from P TO D is ok). At first, I didn't pay too much attention because I thought it was due to the higher warm up RPM when it was cold Once the car is warmed up, this symptom would go away. However, in between trips, if i shut off the car and restart it up (while the car is warm), i would get this "bump" again. Shifting from R TO D and D to R is fine. It only occurs going from P to R.

Is there a TSB about this symptom? Or is there something wrong with the Active Motor Mount? I didn't see an exact match in the TSB forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...350-tsibs.html
Old 02-12-09, 04:16 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Talked to one of the service managers today and he told me to bring it in for an inspection (still covered under the standard warranty). Hopefully they will fix this issue.
Old 02-12-09, 08:40 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLPLEXUS
Talked to one of the service managers today and he told me to bring it in for an inspection (still covered under the standard warranty). Hopefully they will fix this issue.

Thanks for the update. Let us know what they say. I experience it as well. I have learned to use the parking brake before letting off the brake pedal after I put it into park and it seems to help.
Old 02-14-09, 05:09 PM
ewu888
Driver School Candidate

i experience this too..and i saw a video on youtube demonstrating this exact problem.. but the video is gone now..
Old 02-17-09, 11:46 AM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

You guys gotta hear this. So i called my service manager yesterday to get an update on my car. He told me the technician has finally located a strange "issue" with my transmission (nothing to do with the infamous transmission flare but an issue that he couldn't elaborate because the tech is not around).

Anyway, a new transmission is ordered and it will be installed on my vehicle to fix this issue!!!!

I will update you guys more on this when i get my car back this Friday. I am still not sure why it required a new trans (the car shifts ok) and i thought it has something to do with the trans mount. Maybe the issue is something more severe than i anticipated. But wow was i surprised........
Old 02-18-09, 04:38 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by TLPLEXUS
You guys gotta hear this. So i called my service manager yesterday to get an update on my car. He told me the technician has finally located a strange "issue" with my transmission (nothing to do with the infamous transmission flare but an issue that he couldn't elaborate because the tech is not around).

Anyway, a new transmission is ordered and it will be installed on my vehicle to fix this issue!!!!

I will update you guys more on this when i get my car back this Friday. I am still not sure why it required a new trans (the car shifts ok) and i thought it has something to do with the trans mount. Maybe the issue is something more severe than i anticipated. But wow was i surprised........
WOW! Explain the bump you feel. Mine feels like it is just hard to shift into R and P. The parking brake helps because it seems to put less stress on the components making it a smoother shift. Otherwise, the car rolls and the stress gets put onto the components leading to the rough shift. Very interested to hear what is going on with yours.
Old 02-18-09, 11:36 AM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Mine only happens occasionally (whether it is warm or cold). When it does happen, I can hear and feel a "clunk" going from P to R with or without the parking brake (i am on a level surface). Most times it shifts smoothly.

The bump feeling is similar to shifting when you are parked on an incline going from P to D or R without the parking brake.

I will try to find out how they ID the issue when i pick up my car this week.
Old 02-20-09, 11:41 AM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

I just got my car back after having the transmission replaced. Technically, it feels the same as the old one (minus the occasional bump knocking on wood). According to the receipt, the trans is a remanufactured one.

The service manager didn't go over the technicality behind the change. So i probably will never know what was the determining factor for this transmission change.

So for those of you who have similar symptom as me here, have your car check out as soon as possible.