ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

09 ES 350: Not Happy with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 07:32 AM
CLT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 ES 350: Not Happy with brakes

My wife has had this car for a few months now. I have have to be honest the 09 ES350 brakes has to have the worst brakes that I have the displeasure of standing on. I'm not sure if that I'm used to my 04 GS300 and the pedal feel that I get from the GS.

I wanted to know if any other ES350 owners feel the same way I do, when I do use the ES I feel that I have to really push hard to get good braking. It almost feels like if the system had air in the lines, it feels like the pedal has to travel to far. Has there been a recall or service bulletin on the ES350 braking system? What ever help or feedback I can get from other ES350 owners would be great.
Old 02-08-09, 04:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a loaner ES for 10 days, brakes were okay, just a little touchy.

Worst brakes in recent my experience were Mercedes ML350 with long brake pedal travel, poor modulation at slow speeds.
Old 02-08-09, 04:52 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CLT
My wife has had this car for a few months now. I have have to be honest the 09 ES350 brakes has to have the worst brakes that I have the displeasure of standing on. I'm not sure if that I'm used to my 04 GS300 and the pedal feel that I get from the GS.

I wanted to know if any other ES350 owners feel the same way I do, when I do use the ES I feel that I have to really push hard to get good braking. It almost feels like if the system had air in the lines, it feels like the pedal has to travel to far. Has there been a recall or service bulletin on the ES350 braking system? What ever help or feedback I can get from other ES350 owners would be great.
I would have your service department take a look. In the 2 1/2 years I have been a member of this forum, I don't remember reading about any complaints similar to yours. Have you driven another ES350 to compare?
Old 02-08-09, 06:38 PM
CLT
Former Sponsor

MD, no I haven't I will be giving the dealer a call. I do think something is wrong.
Old 02-08-09, 08:54 PM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by CLT

I felt it the same way the first day I bought the car. I guess it is designed that way. I havent had any problem with braking since I bought it and its original brake pads are still on it after 34k miles.
Old 02-09-09, 03:59 AM
CLT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by savon
I felt it the same way the first day I bought the car. I guess it is designed that way. I havent had any problem with braking since I bought it and its original brake pads are still on it after 34k miles.
Savon

I wonder if any other ES350 owners feel the same way?
Old 02-09-09, 07:33 AM
kewl
Rookie

I'm very pleased with the brakes on this vehicle...mine is an 07 350. They don't take a great deal of effort and feel very suited to a vehicle of this size/weight.
Old 02-09-09, 07:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When I got my car, fast approaching 3 years now, I thought the brakes felt different vs. the previous car, but not unsafe or anything. In that time I've had to do some hard braking and they performed well.
Old 02-09-09, 12:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CLT
MD, no I haven't I will be giving the dealer a call. I do think something is wrong.
Are you concerned about emergency stopping or panic brake stopping feel or just normal braking action?
Old 02-10-09, 09:41 AM
CLT
Former Sponsor

IS-SV

Just the over all day to day driving, It's just the brake peddle feels so spongy, so disconnected. Mind you, I understand that my GS is a different car all together. Currently my GS has Goodridge stainless brake lines, and EBC pads, yes I know that my car will brake differently but prior to upgrading the brakes from the first time I drove the car I felt the lack of initial brake feel and the long travel in the pedal.
Old 02-10-09, 10:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CLT
IS-SV

Just the over all day to day driving, It's just the brake peddle feels so spongy, so disconnected. Mind you, I understand that my GS is a different car all together. Currently my GS has Goodridge stainless brake lines, and EBC pads, yes I know that my car will brake differently but prior to upgrading the brakes from the first time I drove the car I felt the lack of initial brake feel and the long travel in the pedal.
I see. The Lexus and Mercedes cars that I drive do not have the brake feel of a Porsche.
Old 02-10-09, 01:15 PM
bigblast
Driver School Candidate

No problems with mine so far.
Old 02-10-09, 01:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by CLT
IS-SV

If your pedal feels spongy, there is a chance that some air somehow got into the line. See if the dealer will bleed the system for you as a goodwill gesture. I don't mind the feel of my wife's brakes at all.

Lou
Old 02-10-09, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
If your pedal feels spongy, there is a chance that some air somehow got into the line. See if the dealer will bleed the system for you as a goodwill gesture. I don't mind the feel of my wife's brakes at all.

Lou
I agree. The '07 ES350 loaner that I had for 10 days had good brakes that worked as they were designed to.
Old 02-10-09, 02:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you take your car to the dealer, drive another ES350 so you can compare the two cars. I'm sure the dealer will accomodate you.

Quick Reply: 09 ES 350: Not Happy with brakes