Dead Battery - Trunk Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 05:52 PM
mcmahonbky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery - Trunk Lockout

Hi All,
I had a dead battery the other day and was unable to unlock the trunk using the dash button. This made my jumper cables (in the trunk) useles. Lexus dealer offered no solution. Does anyone know how to get into the trunk once the battery is dead.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-08, 06:25 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is the pass through from the rear seat, inside the center armrest of the backseat. Maybe store the cables near that pass through.

I find it funny that the dealer had no solution.
Old 02-27-09, 07:25 PM
robpgreer
Driver School Candidate

The same thing just happened to me. I even had one of those battery jumper cable systems in the trunk (along with a set of regular jumpers). I'm blown away that I can't open the trunk. Now I have to call AAA.
Old 02-27-09, 08:57 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
There is the pass through from the rear seat, inside the center armrest of the backseat. Maybe store the cables near that pass through.

I find it funny that the dealer had no solution.
It is more than funny the dealer had no solution. Silly that the dealer doesn't even know the car they sell. No worries. Reach through the pass through about 8-15 inches and there will be a cable at the top with a round loophole that you can use to manually open the trunk without the use of the key fob.
Old 02-28-09, 03:26 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't be using jumper cables on any modern car. They need to be thrown out right now. This isn't the 1970's any more. Jumpers are terrible for highly sensitive electronics, many of which are found in all Lexus products. They can cause a lot of expensive damage. ONLY use a battery jump pack (which has controlled output) or a reverse 12V lighter charger.
Old 02-28-09, 07:41 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Default Battery Jump

Originally Posted by miniz
You shouldn't be using jumper cables on any modern car. They need to be thrown out right now. This isn't the 1970's any more. Jumpers are terrible for highly sensitive electronics, many of which are found in all Lexus products. They can cause a lot of expensive damage. ONLY use a battery jump pack (which has controlled output) or a reverse 12V lighter charger.
miniz,
Thanks for that advice and your point is well taken. The ES has electronics all over the map from the engine to everything else. I'm sure many of these modules or integrated circuits are driven with input signal levels of 3.0 - 5.0 volts or below or what is known as TTL signal levels. A controlled output is the only way to go.
Old 03-01-09, 04:28 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Guys there is nothing unique about these cars that a set of jumper cables would hurt unless hooked up backwords. The bigger question here is why a car of 1 or 2 or 3 years old has a dead battery. I would look at finding out the problem. Any device in the ECU's that runs on lower then 12v are in a protected circuit. Considering if you loose an alternator or a VR you would pump out 16v or more and it won't cook the IC's. So charge away if you know how.
Old 03-01-09, 08:04 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pestleman0
It is more than funny the dealer had no solution. Silly that the dealer doesn't even know the car they sell. No worries. Reach through the pass through about 8-15 inches and there will be a cable at the top with a round loophole that you can use to manually open the trunk without the use of the key fob.
I need some help with this one - the only release I see looking into my trunk from the pass through is the emergency pull and it is almost 40 inches away, too far for my reach. Is there something else I should be looking for? Thanks.

Dave Mac
Old 03-01-09, 08:46 PM
capnfred
Rookie

make hook with a coat hanger, reach in and pull the release, as for the jumper cable issue, as long as you don't hook them up back wards jumper cables will not hurt a thing....do you really believe that chinese crap they sell in Walmart is safer than a battery, that has a fixed output.... probably about 12.7 volts under no load max....just my humble opinion based on about 60 years of experience working with electricity.... its not black magic, just plain old physics and math..... so you guys use your gizmos, and I will carefully use my jumper cables.... I know and understand hi-tech, but the key is KISS, got that beat into my head over the years, guess what IT WORKS! Look for the easy stuff first before you go looking for the exotic stuff,,,,, the electronics rarely fails, its conectors, wires, fuses, and sensors, probably in that order, I read a post not long ago from a long time Toyota Mech, "have rarely seen any ECU fail" Solid state electronics is pretty bullet proof, as long as it is not stressed by either too much heat, current, or voltage....so again, KISS. As for the trunk, push comes to shove pull the rear seat, remove the cover and climb into the trunk, find the release, and manually pull it. Have used that technique getting into trunks in junk cars.....found lots of neat things the yard operators did not know were there because the only way they know to get into a trunk is with a dent puller or a crowbar..... my way is pretty painless.. and it follows the KISS principle, Keep it Simple Stupid.........

capn
Old 03-01-09, 10:50 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

um... if you use jumpers.. you just hook it up to another 12v battery... it doesnt change the volts or amps going into your car... its like having a new battery.... a battery jump pack does the trick too.. but guess what? its 12Volts! its practically the same, just that the jump pack can be charged by a wall outlet oppose to another car's alternator.... jumper cables are 100% safe, so as long you hook it up correctly to the other car...
Old 03-02-09, 01:18 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SickES350
um... if you use jumpers.. you just hook it up to another 12v battery... it doesnt change the volts or amps going into your car... its like having a new battery.... a battery jump pack does the trick too.. but guess what? its 12Volts! its practically the same, just that the jump pack can be charged by a wall outlet oppose to another car's alternator.... jumper cables are 100% safe, so as long you hook it up correctly to the other car...
There is a problem. MOST people don't have a clue how to properly hook up jumper cables and they cause serious damage due to improper grounding. Also, the battery's output on the rescue vehicle is NOT constant at 12v. It can easily surge and cause over-voltage on the receiving end.

For that fact, the use of a controlled output source that is easily attached by any off the street average Joe is the BEST choice for most people. These sources of power also DON'T require a rescue vehicle. No need to get that trunk open to get the cables out and no need to find someone to 'rescue' (or damage) your vehicle.
Old 03-03-09, 09:45 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

These sources of power also DON'T require a rescue vehicle. No need to get that trunk open to get the cables out and no need to find someone to 'rescue' (or damage) your vehicle.
No need to open the trunk to get the cables, sure... But how then are you going to get the power pack without opening the trunk? I suppose you can keep it sittng in the passenger's footwell all the time, but that'll be annoying.

Jumpers are fine - it just takes some common sense, and spend a few minutes reading the owner's manual so that its done right.

But back on topic about the inopperable trunk w/o power - I can really see where that's a problem. If I remember correctly, the IS actually has a key hole near the license plate lights where you can open the trunk with your key. Curious why the ES doens't have that.
Old 07-16-09, 12:57 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dead Battery

The question is, what caused the battery to go dead in the first place ??

I suspect my wife pushed the off switch twice, which left the airconditioner on and didn't notice it.

~ Cap
Old 11-20-13, 08:04 PM
Gpelu
Driver School Candidate

Angry Trunk won't open dead battery

Ok found the post if the emergency release located in the well of the arm rest.Only problem is my es 300 has the cd changer in the well!! Help please!
Old 11-21-13, 05:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpelu
Ok found the post if the emergency release located in the well of the arm rest.Only problem is my es 300 has the cd changer in the well!! Help please!
You are in the 2007-2012 ES350 forum. You might want to move this to the forum for the preious gen ES300. You'll probably get more input over there. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery - Trunk Lockout