ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Had a bad day

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 04:39 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Had a bad day

Got hit from the rear today. Everyone was okay. Wonder what damage they will find when it goes in for an appraisal.

Not as concerned about the repairs as I am of the depreciated value of the car because it now will show its been in an accident.
Old 08-06-13, 01:06 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
Not as concerned about the repairs as I am of the depreciated value of the car because it now will show its been in an accident.
This is why I will probably never buy a new car, nor a used one over $20K ... I would just feel horrible if I smashed up a brand new car and take a double hit in the pocketbook from the depreciation that follows...
Old 08-07-13, 05:14 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I took it for an appraisal of damage by the other drivers insurance company. They only thought it needed to have the bumper cover repaired and painted and wrote a check for $600. I'm not so sure. From the impact, I believe the shock absorbing system had to be damaged. I've scheduled a repair shop to pull the bumper and do an inspection on 8/19. Will know then if they are right or wrong. By far, the depreciated value of the accident is worse than the damage.
Old 08-07-13, 10:58 AM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For that minor an impact, there's not likely to be any unseen damage, but you're smart to check . . .and I would expect no diminished value.
Old 08-07-13, 11:07 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take it to my Lexus dealer's collision shop for the appraisal. They will fix to Lexus standards.
Old 08-07-13, 06:18 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if the absorbing system was impacted, there shouldn't be any real damage to anything else. Should be okay given the pics.
Old 08-08-13, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Theres no depreciated value from a bumper hit. Keep your pictures so you can show a prospective purchaser what the damage was if its on the Carfax, you'll never be able to tell it was damaged.

I've had many bumpers repainted over the years on my Lexus and other cars and the result has always been 100%, and I have never had a Carfax or value issue when trading in.

Don't stress about it, bumpers get hit all the time, and Lexus dealers even repaint bumpers as a CPO prep if they have rock chips, etc. Its truly not a big deal. I wouldn't automatically trust the dealers shop either, get referrals and read reviews and find the best shop whether its affiliated with the dealer or not.
Old 08-08-13, 12:24 PM
Chuy250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything should be good. Shouldn't decrease in value since it was just the bumper
Old 08-08-13, 01:20 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm afraid there is "diminished value" even for such a small bit of damage. My had a 2012 MB that sustained much less damage then that to the rear bumper after just a few months and had it repaired very well with a new bumper skin - shock absober not even damaged - at the MB and Lexus shop. It was even difficult to see in the photos but when he went to trade it a few months later for a GS (he finally saw the light" none of the Lexus dealers locally would even consider it as a trade because of the "carfax". Another dealer agreed to trade without even seeing the car but at a lowball price.

Dave Mac
Old 08-09-13, 04:00 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I've heard more stories like Dave Mac told, but I'm hoping the others are right. I'm saving the pictures for when I sell the car and hope for the best.
Old 08-09-13, 05:07 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded a '04 Lincoln LS in 1/2007 that got hit hard on the drivers side, repaired but would not run well after the hit. After numerous returns to fix the problem, I finally got rid of it in a trade. The accident took place 11/2006. Dealer gave me full trade in value for new '07 Impala SS. Maybe the short lag in time, it did not get reported to Carfax.
Old 08-10-13, 07:37 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I took it for an appraisal of damage by the other drivers insurance company. They only thought it needed to have the bumper cover repaired and painted and wrote a check for $600. I'm not so sure. From the impact, I believe the shock absorbing system had to be damaged. I've scheduled a repair shop to pull the bumper and do an inspection on 8/19. Will know then if they are right or wrong. By far, the depreciated value of the accident is worse than the damage.
Does not matter what they wrote. Take a car for repair to a body shop of your choice, and bring them the check. They will work directly with other insurance company and request extra money if any unseen damage is found. Standard practice, they will pay, dont worry, I went through same things few times in my life
Old 08-10-13, 07:47 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by iceblast
This is why I will probably never buy a new car, nor a used one over $20K ... I would just feel horrible if I smashed up a brand new car and take a double hit in the pocketbook from the depreciation that follows...
That's what I keep hearing from people who like buying used cars to save $$$, makes them feel better about their decision to buy used car. People buy new cars for various reasons and benefits, things you don't get in your used vehicles. Some people are well off financially not to worry about potential depreciation that may or may not happen depending if you have accident or not, so please cut this crap about you making all the right decisions and others being stupid.
Old 08-10-13, 07:54 AM
tolian21
Advanced

I've heard more stories like Dave Mac told, but I'm hoping the others are right. I'm saving the pictures for when I sell the car and hope for the best.
1. your car might not be reported to car fax. Mine was not.
2 If it is, it says what was damaged, rear damage is not a big deal compared to front. Save pictures and copy of estimate. When someone sees estimate of less than $1000 damage to rear, they will pay no attention.
3. If you trade in your car when its 6-7+ years old, prior accident has less of importance on depreciation vs if you trade in when your car is few years old.
Old 08-10-13, 11:10 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
That's what I keep hearing from people who like buying used cars to save $$$, makes them feel better about their decision to buy used car. People buy new cars for various reasons and benefits, things you don't get in your used vehicles. Some people are well off financially not to worry about potential depreciation that may or may not happen depending if you have accident or not, so please cut this crap about you making all the right decisions and others being stupid.
I apologize if if my original post sounded condescending, that's not what I had intended at all. I never said I made "all the right decisions" nor anyone "being stupid", so don't accuse me of that. Either case, you shouldn't post your life story if you don't expect people to comment.

I understand that having a bang up or accident can be frustrating both emotionally and financially, it has happened to me as well. It was a used car that I had just recently purchased, so I know how it feels, but I was glad it was a used car rather than new, that's all. I can afford to buy new, and am aware of all the "benefits" but I don't stay in good financial health by wasting money.

The damage didn't bother me because I plan on keeping the car until end of life, so what does it matter if it has had some cosmetic damage that was repaired. Alot of people who buy new prefer to always have new cars in the driveway and plan on trading the car in at some point, or returning the lease, and in that case, the depreciation WILL matter. Of course, people who are well off enough to own a new car should know the risks and the $2-3K depreciation is pocket change.

Last edited by iceblast; 08-10-13 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Had a bad day