Loud Wind Noise From A Brand New Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 10:18 PM
MmmLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Wind Noise From A Brand New Lexus

Hi Guys,

To make a long story short, my mom just bought a 2008 Lexus ES 350 and now has some issues with it. The issue is that there is too much wind noise when she is driving on the freeway and driving it myself, I have to agree. The noise is almost as if the window is slightly open, but it isn't! All windows are fully closed and its still so noisy!!

I am wondering what are the best solutions to this problem. Ideally, there is an aftermarket solution to this problem although I do not know what that is. That is why I am writing on this forum

My mom would even go so far as to return the car, but since that is not possible, we would probably have to sell or trade it in, losing thousands of dollars.

So if there is an aftermarket solution that dampens the noise or if you have observed this same problem please respond!!

Thank you all so much!!
Old 10-14-08, 10:58 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

i'm assuming the car is brand new.. take it to the dealer, that can't be right.. it's a lexus.. why does it have wind noise problems.. get them to check it out and see what they have to say about it.. what about other ES', did you guys test drive another ES, take one for a spin and see if it has the same problem.. not really sure if actual ES owners have a problem with it also..
Old 10-15-08, 05:50 AM
Osteoman
Rookie

Mine is 6 weeks old. You can alwayssssssss here wind noise in a car. There is no such thing as perfectly quiet. However, out of 20 plus cars I have owned this is easily the most quiet. You would have to be wanting to hear it to hear wind noise. If your mom's is loud something is not right and have the dealer check it out.
Old 10-15-08, 06:09 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was an issue on the early build 07s, I thought Lexus fixed it on the 08s. Your dealer should be aware of the fix.
Old 10-16-08, 02:37 PM
static
Driver

The dealer should be able to fix it. They fixed my 07 at the first service, it sounded like the glass wasn't seating all the way and it (the wind noise) was right by the drivers ear.

They replaced the rubber seal and added some felt padding or something like that, if I recall correctly, and it improved dramatically.

You'd think the 08 wouldn't have this problem, but since yours does, have them fix it.
Old 10-17-08, 01:38 PM
MmmLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your responses guys.

Thanks especially for the info that early 07 models have had this problem. Without any confirmation from the Lexus community, either my mom is crazy or me and my mom is crazy!! The problem is exactly like static described. It's only bad when driving on the freeway, but if I open the window a bit, of course there is wind noise, quite noisy and quite annoying. However, when I close it, its like only 50% of that noise goes away and I can still very much hear the annoying and loud wind noise!!

I'll be on the lookout for the rubber seal and felt padding. My parents are really paranoid that bringing their new car to the dealer will make it worse...since its new...its supposed to be good and that the dealer will make it worse if they try to fix it. My parent's thinking is really pessimistic and off sometimes.

Anyway, thank you for all your responses and you will probably hear an update from me in a few days! Thank you so much again!
Old 10-17-08, 05:47 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I tried to get em to fix my 08, but they just came back to say it's normal. They did attempt to fix my dash squeaks, but it still squeaks. Argh. Well, the dash squeaks don't bother me too much cuz it's really not that bad. I only had em do it cuz I know there's a fix for it. But I'd like the windnoise to be less.
Old 10-22-08, 12:16 PM
Xl94
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that,

Unfortunately it's been like that since the launch of the new model .. (07\08 & lately 09)

Its really disappointing that this is happening with Lexus !

Yet I don’t think going back to the dealer to "fix" things will make a difference, is the dealer going to do a better job than the Lexus factory it self..

I gauss the only reason any one feels a change after going to the dealer can be linked with a sociological thing, like when you visit a doctor you feel kind of better

Any way there is a very simple solution, just turn on the DVD\Cd player & you wont hear a thing 

I know it's not probably the best solution, but it will get you through ..

Good luck !
Old 10-22-08, 12:29 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

what i've read in the LS460 sub-forum is that the rubber where the window sits when fully closed, goes off rail or something so the window doesn't close all the way, the solution to that was the dealer replacing that rubber strip (i don't know what it's called) you es guys haven't been able to get this problem fixed?
Old 10-23-08, 02:12 PM
Xl94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by farquad
what i've read in the LS460 sub-forum is that the rubber where the window sits when fully closed, goes off rail or something so the window doesn't close all the way, the solution to that was the dealer replacing that rubber strip (i don't know what it's called) you es guys haven't been able to get this problem fixed?

Believe my I've heard of allot doing the same thing with no real change happening..

The issue is with the cars design & sound isolation system cause its been noted on all recent Lexus models..

If that is true & all they need to do is change the rubbers, why is occurring on new models like the late 07 & the 08\09 models

My advise is not to tamper with the car, unless there is a recall with an official confirmation form Lexus it self, other than that dont waste your time

I heard of people going to the dealer & coming back with a more annoying sound !
Old 10-23-08, 05:13 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farquad
you es guys haven't been able to get this problem fixed?
Nope, us ES owners are not priority at the service department. We are the "Camry" owners.
Old 10-23-08, 09:34 PM
static
Driver

If you can demonstrate to the service dept that the sound on the drivers side is significantly different than the sound on the passenger side, they should be obligated to look into it and fix it.
Old 10-28-08, 09:05 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by static
If you can demonstrate to the service dept that the sound on the drivers side is significantly different than the sound on the passenger side, they should be obligated to look into it and fix it.
Not unless your hearing is significantly better in the left ear (or alternately, your hearing is worse in the right ear)...
Old 10-28-08, 11:18 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by toneman
Not unless your hearing is significantly better in the left ear (or alternately, your hearing is worse in the right ear)...
Funny you say that! My hearing is impaired from childhood illness and high speed water skiing later in life, leaving me with scar tissue on both eardrums and tinnitus.

I could still tell the difference!
Old 10-28-08, 03:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Does the ES350 have the "acoustic windshield"??

Quick Reply: Loud Wind Noise From A Brand New Lexus