ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus OEM Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 10:17 PM
nlkccom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus OEM Windshield

For those of you who has gotten OEM windshield replaced on your Lexus, does the OEM windshield actually has the Lexus logo on it, just like the original windshield?
Old 07-19-08, 02:16 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Most definitely......
It shows LEXUS at the bottom corner of the glass right in front of your driving position to the bottom left.
Here in jersey, right below the inspection sticker.

I had to get my windshield replaced when the car was only 2 weeks old when it took a small rock and started to crack.
Old 07-19-08, 02:47 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, the Lexus windshield does say LEXUS. I have always been successful in asking for Lexus rather than an aftermarket glass and usually just have to wait an extra day for the installer to pick one up. The older the car gets the tougher it is to demand Lexus glass. Be sure and request/demand Lexus glass or for most models you will get aftermarket glass.

Dave Mac
Old 07-19-08, 11:43 PM
nlkccom
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, I have to replace my windshield because it was chipped by a rock a few days ago. I've heard some dealers uses PPG as OEM since some of the OEM windows are actually made by PPG. However, I've called my local Lexus dealer this morning, and confirmed the replacement windshield actually has the Lexus logo. I think I should pay them a visit before they install the glass.
Old 07-20-08, 06:12 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I had my windshield replaced a few months ago. At the time there was no 3rd party manufacturer with a windshield that would fit an 07 ES-350. My repair shop had to get the glass from the Lexus dealership.

-Robert
Old 07-20-08, 06:22 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just checked mine / PPG replacement on the Ultra. Remembered that the Diamond Auto Glass installer said the cost was $1,200.
Old 07-20-08, 09:34 AM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

You should definitely demand the Lexus branded windshield, as it is a special design that is an important part of the sound-deadening system of the ES.

It was custom designed for the Lexus ES350 by Yamaha to help filter out exterior noise and enhance interior vocal harmonics.

From Autofieldguide.com...

"The windshield has a layer of low-durometer plastic film between the two sheets of glass to absorb road noise, engine noise, and midrange frequencies (2-5 kHz)."

The Lexus branded windshield is also part of the ML audio dashboard speaker design spec. as the frequency of the high-end was designed with the acoustic "bounce" qualities of the specific glass composition.

An aftermarket windshield is just standard safety glass. It's no doubt much cheaper than the original Lexus part, but why let the insurance company put in a windshield that will compromise the low noise design of the ES?
Old 07-20-08, 08:36 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

A bit deviant, but anyone know when Lexus glass window pieces stopped having "TOYOTA" on them? I know Acura cars still have "HONDA" on the windows.
Old 07-21-08, 04:33 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think $1200 for a windshield would include the low durometer plastic film.
Old 07-23-08, 02:55 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I don't think I actually looked until just now. The box it came in says Toyota, altho the packing slip said Lexus and everything. But yeah, it says Lexus in the bottom corner. I expected to have to argue with the repair place to get the Lexus glass, but apparently their suppliers had no aftermarket version so they had to buy it from the local dealer. Mine still has the Made in Japan sticker on it. I never got around to peeling it off.
Old 07-31-08, 08:26 AM
nlkccom
Driver School Candidate

The OEM windshield came in, and had it replaced yesterday. I asked to personally check the windshield before it goes on my car. It was in a Toyota labeled box, packed pretty securely IMO, and the windshield itself was in a Lexus labeled plastic wrapper. Seems like they did good work, no wind noise. Haven't got a chance to test the rain sensor though.
Old 08-05-08, 03:35 PM
ekkie
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I had my windshield replaced late last year too. After labor, the cost was around $1400. There is definitely special design and engineering that goes into that glass, so even calling 3rd party shops, they recommended I stick with the OEM from the dealer.
Old 08-17-08, 09:01 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had mine replaced also, dela is that only Lexus/Toyota makeS it, cant get anything but OEM.
Old 08-18-08, 10:57 AM
caballero7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield

Chipped and cracked my windshield on the way back from a road trip to Corpus Christi, San Antonio and back home to Houston. SUV in front of me going about 95MPH and next thing I know "CRACK", right on the top middle portion of my windshield. The crack curve half way down the middle and fadded to the passager side. With this Houston heat it has grown several inches. Bought the windshield replacement from the dealership for about $400, estimated windshield cost is around $900/Est. Thought this was a pretty good deal since travel alot around Texas. Has sensor so a little more expensive. Still waiting from them to change it out, will take a week or so to order.
Old 08-22-08, 02:35 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

It's a bit suspicious as to why it's so cheap. I saw the invoice on mine. OEM costs about $1000. I think mine was charged at $1100+. Even $900 sounds a little low, altho it's still within reason. $400 is crazy tho. Doesn't sound like it's OEM, thus not having the acoustic layer, etc.

Quick Reply: Lexus OEM Windshield