ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

HID sharp cut-off

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 12:16 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID sharp cut-off

I don't really drive that much after sunset in the summer (because the sun goes down so late), but last night I was coming home when it was pitch dark and I really got to see how the HID's worked. They have a VERY sharp top cut-off and they don't illuminate the road beyond that cut-off at all. The width of the beam was perfect and intensity up to the cut-off was also great. I found it very easy to out-run the light. Going over or down a hill really was not fun. The lights just cut-off within a few yards as they shown into the approching surface. I also noticed that the passenger side headlamp shines a few inches higher than the drivers (normal?).

Is it possible to adjust the aim of the projectors upward? They seem to be working correctly. They turn when I turn the steering wheel and they auto level when I start the car (at night). They don't seem to swivel with the steering wheel when I'm going under 20 MPH. Is that normal?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-13-08, 02:43 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the passenger side being higher is normal, due to not wanting to blind oncoming traffic
Old 07-13-08, 03:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyES35
i think the passenger side being higher is normal, due to not wanting to blind oncoming traffic
I agree. It also throws more light on the shoulder of the road and signs etc.
Old 07-13-08, 04:59 PM
kewl
Rookie

There is a thread on headlight aiming...the adjustment hole just inside the finder line under the hood weatherseal and the adjustment is made with a long phillips screwdriver. Don't let the appearance of nothing down that hole to adjust fool you, its there. Just put the screwdriver in the hole and turn. Of course have the headlights on and against a wall so you can see and judge the change.

It worked great for me. Easy to...

Last edited by kewl; 07-13-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 02:04 PM
Rickanns
Driver School Candidate

I think the beams are set relatively low to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. This is a very serious problem with the HID lights. I would be very careful and cautious if you raise them up. I supplement the low beams with the fog lights often. It seems to help.

Rick
Old 07-14-08, 02:32 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickanns
I think the beams are set relatively low to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. This is a very serious problem with the HID lights. I would be very careful and cautious if you raise them up. I supplement the low beams with the fog lights often. It seems to help.

Rick
I agree to some extent. I think they are just plain too low. I've had cars with HID's before (that don't pivot into a corner) and I've never had this issue before. The last thing I want to do is have to turn on my fog lights! I paid for very expensive and advanced headlights and I do not wish to have to supplement them.
Old 07-14-08, 04:54 PM
kewl
Rookie

Interestingly enough I had the dealer re-align my headlights, because I felt they were way too low. The dealer agreed and did the realignment.

After that the were, holy cow, way too damn high. Dealer claimed they were now within specs. I hated the idea of taking the car back asking them to lower the lights, so I tried the adjustments suggested on the forum and it worked great. I put the lights where I thought they worked best and I have yet to be flashed by anyone.
Old 07-16-08, 04:01 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

HIDs are supposed to have a sharp cutoff and aimed a bit lower to avoid blinding oncoming cars/traffic in front. But as you discovered, you can adjust them.

It's a balancing act. SUVs, especially the RX, tend to blind people regardless b/c they're already so high up. If you've had cars where the HID didn't cut off sharply, that's a design flaw. I remember a bunch of American cars with HIDs that have poorly designed HID lights.
Old 07-26-08, 10:08 PM
Hitcher
Driver School Candidate

I have also noticed that sharp cutoff point of the headlamps. Driving down country roads where there are fences and bushes beside you it is almost distracting as you're going over bumps and that blackness to light area bobs up and down. Last night I did turn on the fog lamps and it definitely helped making it less distracting. I may try raising them slightly seeing as the fronts of these cars are fairly low and there are plenty of SUVs that blind the crap out of me. On roads where there are not obstacles directly to my side it is not noticeable and the lighting seems to be adequate.
Old 06-23-10, 12:39 AM
rikkus256
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who swap low beam from halogen to aftermarket HID, does your HID light project correctly? I did the swap but notice my HID project much lower than halogen with a sharp cut off. Anyone else have the same problem?
Old 06-23-10, 03:37 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The factory aimed HID's are dangerous on a dark and hilly road! When you approach the bottom there just isn't any lighting of the road ahead at all! The solution is to use the high beams all the time, dimming for oncoming drivers. That way you can see the road in his headlights! If Raplh Nader knew about this there would be blood!