ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How many keys?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 01:39 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How many keys?

How many keys does an 08 ES350 come with? I got two smart keys with mine and dealer claims extras are $300 each. Also, how many keys will the car allow to be programmed?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-08, 02:19 PM
nlkccom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
How many keys does an 08 ES350 come with? I got two smart keys with mine and dealer claims extras are $300 each. Also, how many keys will the car allow to be programmed?

Thanks!
Got my '08 ES350 about 6 weeks ago. It came with 2 smart keys, and I believe additional ones are about $100-$150 each (at least I think that's what the salesman told me).

Not sure about the maxmium number of keys the car can be paired with.
Old 07-02-08, 04:36 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I received 2 smartkeys with mine and I understand there is a maximum number of smart keys that can be programmed and that it may be as low as just the 2. I have never confirmed this.

Dave Mac
Old 07-04-08, 11:58 AM
catchawink
Driver School Candidate

I know at least 3 key may be programmed. Bought a third at delivery.
Old 07-04-08, 06:54 PM
jgtile
Driver

I got 2 with mine also.
Old 07-05-08, 09:50 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the car have the ability to save personal settings for a 3rd key?
Old 07-05-08, 05:03 PM
catchawink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miniz
Does the car have the ability to save personal settings for a 3rd key?
The third key must be linked to driver #1 or #2. There is no third setting.
Old 07-16-08, 12:23 PM
Weinzig
Driver School Candidate

I got 2 smart keys. Don't you buy a used one if you're thinking of additional (spare) key. It couldn't be reprogrammed. I just got burned when I bought a used one at Ebay. My Lexus dealer said that smart key can only be programmed once. If anybody can say otherwise, you'll be my hero.
Old 07-16-08, 01:27 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

This statement by your dealer that a smart key can only be programmed once is interesting and I don't think correct since I don't think it is even the smart key that is being programmed. I hope someone responds with good information on this question.

Dave Mac
Old 07-16-08, 07:28 PM
Weinzig
Driver School Candidate

There are 2 pieces in that "key". The plastic part with the buttons which is technically the remote key and the metal mechanical key. The remote is the thing being programmed (which I referred to as the smart key stuff) while the metal key is nothing but an emergency key to open the door, glove compartment and trunk in case the remote key runs out of juice. If you have a Lexus using this "smart key", you would immediately understand what I mean. I'm sorry if there's problem with semantics.
Old 07-16-08, 09:11 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

What I am saying is that I think the smart key remains unchanged during the "progrmming" and the receiver in the car is programmed so that it "learns" or is able to read or accept the signal from the smart key. Your dealer may have been saying - correctly - that the mechanical key with a smart key purchased on ebay cannot be recut to fit your car but I believe blank keys are available as a separate part.

Dave Mac
Old 07-17-08, 04:14 AM
Weinzig
Driver School Candidate

I understand you Dave, thanks. Is it possible therefore that a "used" smart key key (of same type of course) can be "re-learned" by another car to read or accept signal from it? There's no issue with the mechanical key, it can't be recut definitely.
Old 07-17-08, 06:39 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Yes, I believe a used smart key can be programmed into an existing car. I have had the correct smart key that I purchased on ebay quite a while ago and have never had it set up but I did ask the dealer one time and they said "bring it in and we can take care of it". They didn't say what they were going to charge me though so I was waiting until I needed to have it done.

Dave Mac
Old 07-17-08, 07:46 AM
mad1stgen
Driver School Candidate

I see no reason as to why the remote cannot be linked to the car, even if it's been linked to another in the past. It has no memory to store the vehicle info.

I bet this guy can give you a definite answer since he's a tech @ Lexus.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331715
Old 07-19-08, 06:38 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I was invited to this thread.

The new smart access keys are indeed expensive so you definitely want to be careful with them. The key is an electronic reciever/transmitter that works of ~400 mhz.

There are two different types of keys available. The smart key fob which comes on every sedan they produce today and the smart card which is an available option for all the smart access cars and comes standard on the LS600h (h= $$$$$$>house)

The 08 and newer cars use a 1-sided key where as the 06 and 07 use a 2-sided key. Most of the dealers can't make a 1-sided key and have to get it directly from Lexus. The 2-sided keys can be cut with the router cutting system (that is if your dealer is equipped with it)

All the systems recognize either key as a master and they can all program upto 5 keys. I'm not sure if these keys can be shared with other vehicles. I'll find out sometime next week. I'll need to make a new thread to finalize my findings for everyone and place it somewhere in the general or FAQ section. I generally work long hours and have a new born in the way. I also have 2 lengthy Supra projects and only have till the end of this year to finish them. I may not be replying everyone in a timely manner so if you need any questions answered I'll try my best but I'll need a lot of your patience.

Quick Reply: How many keys?