ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Friend's 2007 Lexus ES350 passenger window fell out.

Old 04-17-12, 07:08 AM
lunker10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to Defective Window Tabs

Originally Posted by lunker10
I have a 2007 with 29,000 miles! The driver window disconnected from the window regulator and had to be duct taped to the door frame. I thought the bolts that hold the regulator to the window had fallen out as this had happened to me on a Mercury that was 12 years old. The dealer charged me $130 to tell me the tabs on the window regulator had broken off and he wanted $850 to replace the regulator! This is the worst design quality I have ever seen in ANY car yet alone a premium car and I have owned many cars over the last 40 years.

The dealer said he will try to get Lexus to cover it but from the message traffic I have seen, Lexus will not cover these repairs.

Anyone had any success getting Lexus to cover their design/quality mistake?
Update:
After sending a nastigram to Lexus and some phone negotiations, my cost was brought down to $270. That doesn't hurt as much as the $850 originally quoted. I could have had a local glass shop replace the glass for $252 with a Lifetime warranty but I chose to stick with the Lexus instal (one year warranty) even though it was more expensive as the horizontal window trim rail was also damaged in the event.
I should note that this WAS a Safety Defect. Both tabs broke and the window crashed down into the door panel. Wife was startled and momentarily lost control of the vechile...almost hit another car in the process.
Old 04-17-12, 10:11 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine happened on the interstate in Indiana. Was a shock.
Old 04-17-12, 03:43 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lunker10
Update:
After sending a nastigram to Lexus and some phone negotiations, my cost was brought down to $270. That doesn't hurt as much as the $850 originally quoted. I could have had a local glass shop replace the glass for $252 with a Lifetime warranty but I chose to stick with the Lexus instal (one year warranty) even though it was more expensive as the horizontal window trim rail was also damaged in the event.
I should note that this WAS a Safety Defect. Both tabs broke and the window crashed down into the door panel. Wife was startled and momentarily lost control of the vechile...almost hit another car in the process.
Glad to hear your communication with Lexus Corp worked..Lexus Corp told me TOUGH LUCK...pay the $660....Bottom line, this LUXURY CAR should not have this PROBLEM to begin with.......
Old 04-23-12, 12:10 PM
ifli43
Driver School Candidate

Smile ES350 window tabs

Design problem not fixed by Lexus. Bought Audi instead.
Old 08-05-12, 01:47 PM
HottubJack
Driver School Candidate

Default Update in 2012

This is four years after the last posting above and there is another thread that addresses this issue. It is recurring and I just had the drivers side and then the passenger side windows come unstuck within 8 months on my my 2007 ES350. The first time required replacing the glass and some of the mechanism for $500. It was probably worse than it should have been if there hadn't been repeated attempts to open and close the window. The second side just happened and hopefully won't be quite a serious as it hasn't been tampered with. We'll see.
Old 10-29-12, 10:39 AM
A9R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HottubJack
This is four years after the last posting above and there is another thread that addresses this issue. It is recurring and I just had the drivers side and then the passenger side windows come unstuck within 8 months on my my 2007 ES350. The first time required replacing the glass and some of the mechanism for $500. It was probably worse than it should have been if there hadn't been repeated attempts to open and close the window. The second side just happened and hopefully won't be quite a serious as it hasn't been tampered with. We'll see.
I had the same problem with my 2007 ES350. First was the front driver side windown, then the front passenger side window. I refused to pay $600+ to repair the second window (first was repaired under warranty). The dealer contacted Lexus Corp. and they agreed to fix it at no cost. I had 62K miles on car at the time (October 2012).
Old 11-01-12, 12:23 PM
peter007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amf1932
No way would I ever consider having my windows tinted if they had to pull off the door panels!! Invariably you're asking for trouble...noises, left out clips, improper refitting, etc.
My 2007 ES350 got both driver and passenger windows fall out. My dealer didn't mention anything about the problem cuased by Tint. The driver side happend about 3 years ago and was under warrenty and I didn't pay a panny. But the passenger side just happen last week and it is now out of warrenty. The total glass has to be replaced and I was told that the cost is about $500, but my dealer will not charge me for the glass and the labour (I guess they can get the money from the Lexus of Canada), but they charge me half hour labour for the inpection ($54) and I have to pay for the Tint about $40. I have to bring my car back to the dealer next Wed (Nov. 07). I am not luck with my ES. Coming from the Accord V6 and never had any issue. I don't know what happened with Lexus
oh.. just fyi, mine is made in Japen (Vin # starts with J)
Old 11-19-12, 01:05 PM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone post a picture of this plastic part? I have one of those plsatic 3d printers, I'm curious to see if I can model it and print it...
Old 09-10-14, 08:52 AM
ejr003
Driver School Candidate

Default ES3500 window

I just had the same defect. The customer service contact acted like this never happens. ha. Drives side window on a 2007 that has 20k miles total on the car. he made up a story that "could be because the car is hardly used." what a liar.
Over $700 to fix. I also have a 98 ES300 with 135k on it with no problems. I am definitely seeing the that Toyota did some severe cost reductions on this 2007 as my Ball joints are shot as well. They have really pulled cost out of the car to Mfg costs. and this is leading to more repairs.

5+ years ago, Lexus would make good on the repair and compromise....today they have learned the typical dealer replies
Old 09-10-14, 12:40 PM
chbow
Driver

I've posted this before, but have you all reported this issue to the NHTSA? Thank g-d this hasn't happened to me but from all the descriptions it sounds like a real safety hazard.

Last edited by chbow; 09-10-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 08:55 AM
craig72
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this happen to my passenger glass about a year ago. Bought an aftermarket glass on ebay for about $105 and spent about an hour putting it in. My car is an 07, so going to the dealer is out of the question. New glass looks just as good, same original tint color and all. Easy fix. I thought about just buying the driver one and keep it in the attic until that one breaks as a precaution.
Old 09-15-14, 12:10 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ejr003
I just had the same defect. The customer service contact acted like this never happens. ha. Drives side window on a 2007 that has 20k miles total on the car. he made up a story that "could be because the car is hardly used." what a liar.
Over $700 to fix. I also have a 98 ES300 with 135k on it with no problems. I am definitely seeing the that Toyota did some severe cost reductions on this 2007 as my Ball joints are shot as well. They have really pulled cost out of the car to Mfg costs. and this is leading to more repairs.

5+ years ago, Lexus would make good on the repair and compromise....today they have learned the typical dealer replies
Did I understand you right... 20,000 miles on your 2007 ES and the ball joints
are shot! Are you kidding?
Old 09-23-14, 07:56 PM
ejr003
Driver School Candidate

this is ejr003. posted a 2007 with driver side window out of trac. After getting an estimate of $700+ and told there were 3 new windows with attached tracks,....i got courious. checked web and saw @ 12 postings of identical issues.....called JM Lexus (who has alwaays been expensive but reliable) told him i was deeply upset about this systemic issues.......24 hrs later i was called and told "Car is ready" and we only charged u $170 for labor...........that is honest customer service
Old 09-23-14, 07:59 PM
ejr003
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Did I understand you right... 20,000 miles on your 2007 ES and the ball joints
are shot! Are you kidding?

Yes......on top of the window poping out of track...apparently its glued in......weird as my 98 ES300 has all windos and original struts and everything....just batteries and tires....untouched AC ....rides great. sound system is better than 07 as well....they really cost reduced it
Old 02-10-16, 08:18 AM
AkelaNoel
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 ES350 does not have tinted windows, and the front passenger window pin has broken. It happened this past summer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Friend's 2007 Lexus ES350 passenger window fell out.