ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anyone care to try to talk me out of selling my ES350 to buy a BMW 335xi

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 06:55 AM
harrington
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone care to try to talk me out of selling my ES350 to buy a BMW 335xi

Don't get me wrong the Lexus is an awesome car but I must admit it is BORING to drive. I don't travel and have a 30 min comute to work. Took the BMW out for a test drive and man is it a blast. But let's face it these two cars are very different. What to do, what to do!!
Old 05-17-08, 07:49 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe in selling a car quickly after buying it because of the huge loss on depreciation. If you could wait another year, you would be better off in my opinion. It also depends on how many miles you have on your car. Once you get over 40K miles on it, it is time to let it go.

But as to the BMW, nice car!! If money is no object, than go for it. I, myself, am waiting another 6-9 months and mine will be gone.
Old 05-17-08, 09:10 AM
harrington
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MD350
I don't believe in selling a car quickly after buying it because of the huge loss on depreciation. If you could wait another year, you would be better off in my opinion. It also depends on how many miles you have on your car. Once you get over 40K miles on it, it is time to let it go.

But as to the BMW, nice car!! If money is no object, than go for it. I, myself, am waiting another 6-9 months and mine will be gone.
Good points sir. I will probably just wait for a bit. It's not even a year old. You always dump a car before 40k? Just curious as to why.
Old 05-17-08, 09:14 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by harrington
Don't get me wrong the Lexus is an awesome car but I must admit it is BORING to drive. I don't travel and have a 30 min comute to work. Took the BMW out for a test drive and man is it a blast. But let's face it these two cars are very different. What to do, what to do!!
I had a 335I sedan for few days from BMW as a rental (BMW Z4 in for service), i absolutely fell in love with this car. The InlineTT is amazing, if money was no object i would take the 335. ES is in a different class than the 335.
Old 05-17-08, 11:56 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Try the Lexus IS350. I switched to one from my lemon ES350. Fast...a blast, with Lexus fit/finish, high quality materials, few bugs removed (now in third model year). Downside; tight rear seats. Softer, quieter ride than BMW335, less maintenance/repair worries. See IS forum for many comparo posts between these two competing sports sedans. Also with the economy tanked, dealers seem willing to deep discount these specialty models compared to the more mainline ES. You just may get a high trade value for your ES and a deeply discounted price for an in stock IS350. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-08, 12:11 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points sir. I will probably just wait for a bit. It's not even a year old. You always dump a car before 40k? Just curious as to why.
Well, for several reasons. First, the new owner will have some factory warranty left as a comfort level. Second, if you trade it, the dealer can still certify it. Third, it is just about that time when you need new tires, brakes, etc. Also, a general manager at a dealership once told me that it is very hard to sell a used luxury car with over 50K miles on it. Luxury buyers want low miles. So, I am able to get a pretty good trade value for the car, and roll in some equity towards the down payment on the new car.

So, I just change oil and rotate tires and get the most for my vehicles around 40K to 45K miles.

Because of the issues I have had with the ES, it will probably go sooner. I now have 25K miles on it and will probably drive it to 35K or so.

I work for an auto finance company and price collateral all day long. I have been to the auction many times. So, for you to dump the ES now is a pretty costly transaction, especially if you had it less than 1 year. It probably won't be worth much less after year 2.

Good luck
Old 05-19-08, 05:50 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

It sounds like you were looking for something else when you got the ES. You should look at similar cars to the BMW. Maybe the IS or the Inf G series or the Jag XF or the MB or others in that class. I suspect you are looking for a firmer ride with less body roll. I find my ES to be built for cruising . It's like driving your couch. So if you do not want the soft cushy ride then you need to go to the other bodies. The power is not a problem but if you feel the need for speed then try driving the others. Then make a decision and go for it. Your other option would be to get a track car and get your thrill on week end track events.
Old 05-19-08, 06:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

335XI>ES350

The End.
Old 05-19-08, 09:24 AM
rjt65
Driver School Candidate

Different strokes for different folks. The 350 is lux with smooth comfy ride while BMW/Mercedes are sport ride. You will be aqble to fly around corners better but will feel every pebble.

A Lot of posts on this on 2 Lexus owners boards and BMW boards. Visit all.

I upgraded to 08 and the improved cushy ride over my sport (SE) Maxima is sooooo good.
Old 05-19-08, 10:22 AM
lawlor8042
Driver School Candidate

I have an IS350 and when I had my car serviced , they gave me an ES350 loaner. I couldn't believe the difference in handeling. Every time I turned , I thought the car was going to turn over. They might be able to work something out for you if you stay with Lexus. Get the Is350. It's a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-08, 12:27 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

It's not quite apples & oranges, but as previously mentioned the IS350 would be a better comparison. If Lexus wants to make you an offer to stay in the family, see what they have to say. The bimmer's handling and performance are tops at the entry-level pricepoint and the AWD in the xi is a great feature. Just be prepared to feel every bump in the road- We ES owners are very spoiled with ride comfort, whether we realize it or not!
Old 05-19-08, 04:07 PM
racingt
Rookie

I had an '07 335i, I got rid of it for an ES350 and an IS350, much more interior room in the ES350 than the 335i.
Old 05-20-08, 09:31 AM
insider
Pole Position

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120903
Old 05-22-08, 04:11 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by NGG
less maintenance/repair worries.
Less maintenance worries? Even with BMW's free maintenance?
Old 05-22-08, 11:06 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by codex57
Less maintenance worries? Even with BMW's free maintenance?
Free does not include the time and inconvenience of repeated trips to the BMW service/repair shop.

Quick Reply: Anyone care to try to talk me out of selling my ES350 to buy a BMW 335xi