For 2007 ES350 owners with transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 11:00 AM
Sailing002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For 2007 ES350 owners with transmission issues

Hi,

New member here but I've been following a couple of the threads for a while now.

I understand Lexus issued a TSB with a VIN cut-off regarding the transmission shifting problems on the ES350. Is there anyone who has a car with a VIN after this supposed cut-off that is having transmission problems?

Did the shifting problems surface early within the first few thousand miles of driving, assuming the car was purchased new?
Old 03-27-08, 11:10 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

drove an es350 as a courtesy car and tried to tiptronic...found it kinda weird how the car don't want to shift up or down
Old 03-27-08, 12:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is because the sport mode is a limiter, not a shifter.

As to 07 tranny issues, there are 08s with the same problems. So, I would guess the VIN cut off is worthless. There is no rhyme or reason to the flare. Mine started at 15K miles. Others flare from day one.

Last edited by MD350; 03-27-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 01:54 PM
Sailing002
Driver School Candidate

Wow, that's pretty disheartening.

The TSB indicates the flares occur in the 3-4 shifts. Is the true in your case or has it occurred at other shift points as well?

Do the flares produce an engine code that is stored and able to be retrieved from the computer?
Old 03-27-08, 02:08 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailing002
Wow, that's pretty disheartening.

The TSB indicates the flares occur in the 3-4 shifts. Is the true in your case or has it occurred at other shift points as well?

Do the flares produce an engine code that is stored and able to be retrieved from the computer?
As MD pointed out the VIN cutoff is worthless as even the 08's are doing it.

Yes other gears too, as in 2 to 3 and it is mentioned in the last TSIB.

As to code showing I was told none showed for my car, but I was also told a few other things later realized as bold faced lies so while I would think a code should show I couldn't say for sure if it would or not.

My experiences are 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 with 2 to 3 being potential dangerous if pulling out into traffic or attempting to cross traffic as in left turn into a parking area across oncoming traffic in order to get to parking lot.
Old 03-27-08, 03:17 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Here is my opinion. Lexus has come out with a flash that fixes the major 3rd to 4th flare or slip that was part of the early 07 models. This flare was 1,000+ rpm...sometimes 1,500 to 2,000 rpm slipage.

HOWEVER, the transmission still flares between shifts anywhere between 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. They are minor flares usually 200-400 rpm or less. Many owners don't feel it and/or they claim their car doesn't do it. But, I have yet to drive an ES350 that doesn't flare.

I will not get the flash performed because I am afraid the car will be worse when it is returned to me. Toyota flashed our 04 Sienna when we owned it and I had a different problem after I picked it up from service. So, I'll live with this for now.
Old 03-27-08, 04:30 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

An 200 - 400 rpm flash can be pretty hard to notice. Even if you're trying to look for it. Most owners prolly don't know about the issue so if it's that small, they wouldn't notice like MD350 said.

I test drove an 08 one that had flares of over 1000 rpm. Huge jump. Just keeps revving long enough that lots of people would notice. it had slightly smaller flares at lots of different points, but they were all 700 rpm or so and up. Those are noticeable if looking, but just short enough that I can see people not noticing even if trying to look cuz you gotta keep your eyes on the road too and some of the flares can pop up in unexpected points.
Old 03-29-08, 06:02 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
I will not get the flash performed because I am afraid the car will be worse when it is returned to me. Toyota flashed our 04 Sienna when we owned it and I had a different problem after I picked it up from service. So, I'll live with this for now.
MD, I'm with you on that. But have you experienced any decline in your flares? The big ones have all but dissapeared in mine. I do still see an occassional 200 rpm spike, but only 3 - 4. And even those have greatly diminished.

I just can't believe that Lexus has not fully corrected this issue after almost two years!
Old 03-29-08, 07:21 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My flares are not as bad in the Winter, when it is cold. With warmer weather around the corner, with the A/C on, I feel the flares will start up again.

When hot, my transmission also has a slight whine to it. It will fail on me sooner or later.

Glad to hear yours is better. Hopefully, it remains good to you when hot outside.

As to Lexus, the product is performing "normal". What do they care?
Old 03-29-08, 07:46 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Glad to hear yours is better. Hopefully, it remains good to you when hot outside.
Interesting observation! I will take note of that.

What is this whine you mentioned? Give me more info. I typically crank my stereo so I may not have noticed.
Old 03-29-08, 09:26 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

It is a very slight whine, sort of like those AAMCO commercials, but not as loud. It, again, is worse when hot outside or tranny is hot after a long trip. Dealer says it is normal, of course. I sort of forgot about it this winter. But, after a few 70 degree days, it is back!

Also, the whine goes along with the revs and shifts of the tranny, so I know it is the tranny.
Old 03-29-08, 09:55 AM
fish1947
Driver School Candidate

Question How frequent are transmission failures?

Is the problem limited to an annoying shift flare, or does it progress to the status of failure? From data shown in poll on another thread it seem the age/date of manufacture does not seem to matter.

I am replacing 07 ES350 totaled in the Ga Dome tornado with similar car. Until we started looking at this forum we hadn't really thought about transmission issues, tho my wife recalls an incident at about 11K that seemed like a low noise backfire, eg. car must have hesitated when shifting. Only once.

With extended warranty the annoyance-only condition might be bearable, but failure would be another story. Any advice?
Old 03-29-08, 10:46 AM
Macklin
Advanced

It is a very slight whine, sort of like those AAMCO commercials, but not as loud. It, again, is worse when hot outside or tranny is hot after a long trip. Dealer says it is normal, of course. I sort of forgot about it this winter. But, after a few 70 degree days, it is back!

Also, the whine goes along with the revs and shifts of the tranny, so I know it is the tranny.
Well, would one be able to hear it over the dieseling of the engine?

Not!

But, seriously, this is perplexing. I have definitely not noticed any sounds such as this. And I have done two trips to Pittsburg...950 miles RT. And my wife does not like loud music!

I would be as concerned as you and will be on the watch, and ear for this.
Old 03-29-08, 11:00 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by fish1947
With extended warranty the annoyance-only condition might be bearable, but failure would be another story. Any advice?
The new Accords are sweet!

I've only seen a hundred or so already....
Old 03-29-08, 11:07 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fish1947
Is the problem limited to an annoying shift flare, or does it progress to the status of failure? From data shown in poll on another thread it seem the age/date of manufacture does not seem to matter.

I am replacing 07 ES350 totaled in the Ga Dome tornado with similar car. Until we started looking at this forum we hadn't really thought about transmission issues, tho my wife recalls an incident at about 11K that seemed like a low noise backfire, eg. car must have hesitated when shifting. Only once.

Sorry to hear your ES is totalled. If your situation happened to me, I would 100% replace it with another model. I would not get another ES350. Other than tranny issues, there is too many other problems like piston slap and excessive rattles. There are less troublesome cars out there. Good luck.

Quick Reply: For 2007 ES350 owners with transmission issues