ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 08:12 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin air filter

What is the location of the cabin air filter and how is it accessed for replacement?
Old 02-04-08, 08:35 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhudson2
What is the location of the cabin air filter and how is it accessed for replacement?
It's in the glove compartment.

Empty your glove compartment.

Pull off the black plastic rectangle in the back left. Just pull it off. You won't break it.

Then you'll see the white plastic cover. Pinch the two U-shaped clips on either side and pull it off.

Then you'll see the filter. Pull it straight out.

Installation is just the reverse.
Old 02-04-08, 10:45 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help will check it later.....just wanted to know for replacement time. thanks again.
Old 02-06-08, 09:05 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

what size is the filter? can you purchase the cabin air filter from any autozone or kragens?
Old 02-07-08, 12:07 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I'd just get it from the dealer (or a dealer selling online).

I used to get parts from Autozone, Kragens, etc. With my old Hondas and Toyotas, it was no big thing. However, with the BMW, I noticed just how inferior the stuff the auto parts store sell are compared to OEM. I had to trim an air filter (comes in the orange box - FRAM?) to get it to fit right, along with the filtering material being much crappier than OEM. For a car as expensive as the Lexus, it's just not worth it getting the crap from the auto parts chains.
Old 02-07-08, 05:50 AM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by codex57
I'd just get it from the dealer (or a dealer selling online).

I used to get parts from Autozone, Kragens, etc. With my old Hondas and Toyotas, it was no big thing. However, with the BMW, I noticed just how inferior the stuff the auto parts store sell are compared to OEM. I had to trim an air filter (comes in the orange box - FRAM?) to get it to fit right, along with the filtering material being much crappier than OEM. For a car as expensive as the Lexus, it's just not worth it getting the crap from the auto parts chains.
I agree with codex57 - buy from the dealer for quality. Of course many of the parts for Lexus vehicles are identical to Toyota parts so if you buy from Toyota you'll get the same exact part for less than at Lexus.

For example, our cabin air filter is part # 87139-07010. If you buy from my Lexus dealer here in Raleigh the cost is $48. The same part number from the local Toyota dealer is $35. I've seen it online for as low as $28. Same part, same OEM Toyota box.
Old 02-08-08, 04:19 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Dreyfus, while you are at it, can you tell me how to access the air filter under the hood? My old camry had it exposed...just open the box and switch it out. But with the ES350, i notice a layer of covering, and I cant seem to locate the air filter compartment. The guys at EZ Lube wanted to change mine, but I'd rather change it myself with Lexus parts.
Old 02-09-08, 06:17 AM
dreyfus

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Dreyfus, while you are at it, can you tell me how to access the air filter under the hood? My old camry had it exposed...just open the box and switch it out. But with the ES350, i notice a layer of covering, and I cant seem to locate the air filter compartment. The guys at EZ Lube wanted to change mine, but I'd rather change it myself with Lexus parts.
Disclaimer: My 2007 ES350 has a slightly different shroud design and different push-button connectors than the 2008 models do. The basics are the same, though.

First you have to take off the upper right plastic shroud. Us a phillips-head screwdriver or a pen or whatever to push the center button on the seven round connectors holding it to the engine compartment. The '08 model connectors can be pushed open with your finger. Remove and set aside.

Pop off the rectangular shroud piece by the right hood hydraulic arm and set aside.

Lift out the shroud and set aside. It slides out from under the front shroud.

You'll see the horizontal square air filter box just to the front & left of the brake fluid reservoir. It actually isn't square - it has one of the corners cut off, but you can't see the missing corner from above. The box has three leaf-spring clips that you press and lever open. The box is two pieces, with the lid hinged together on the angle side pointing towards the passenger seat. You'll have to lift up the lid and slide the filter out towards the driver-side headlight. It's a bit tricky as the various connections prevent the lid from opening very far.

Slide the new filter in. Again, the space is tight. I had to turn it after sliding it into the box. Press the filter then the lid down all around so there's a good, tight seal and clip it shut. The three clips should be quite tight. Make sure that the lid doesn't come off the box at the hinge in the back. Mine did and I had to spend a bit of effort to get it all properly reseated.

Put the shroud back on, tucking the front end under the front shroud.

Reset the seven round connectors. Make sure the button is pushed down, then gently open up the short prongs while pushing the long prongs back in. The button will pop up.

Replace all the connectors and press the button in to lock them in place.

Snap in the rectangular shroud cover by the hood arm.

Record the date and mileage in your maintenance log.

I don't know what the dealer would charge for this, but whatever it is is more than I charged myself.
Old 03-19-10, 11:55 AM
Nukejr
Driver School Candidate

It should also be noted that the arrows on the OEM filter can be misleading if you intend to replace with an aftermarket filter. The OEM filter has "UP" arrows, whereas aftermarket filters show air flow arrows.

If using an aftermarket filter, the airflow arrow should be pointing DOWN.

This will make sense to you when you pull out the old filter and notice that all the debris (leaves, bugs, etc.) are on top of the filter. Therefore, the airflow travels downward, through the filter and into the blower vanes.
Old 03-19-10, 12:54 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Originally Posted by Nukejr
Therefore, the airflow travels downward, through the filter and into the blower vanes.
Whoa! Is your ES supercharged?
Mine does not have a blower, AFAIK.

If I remember correctly, the pentagonal shape of the filter is slightly asymmetrical, making it impossible to install upside down.
I recall trying it the wrong way first, and then flipping over.
Old 03-19-10, 06:08 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nukejr
It should also be noted that the arrows on the OEM filter can be misleading if you intend to replace with an aftermarket filter. The OEM filter has "UP" arrows, whereas aftermarket filters show air flow arrows.

If using an aftermarket filter, the airflow arrow should be pointing DOWN.

This will make sense to you when you pull out the old filter and notice that all the debris (leaves, bugs, etc.) are on top of the filter. Therefore, the airflow travels downward, through the filter and into the blower vanes.
I recently purchased es350-2010...in the future when I need to replace Filter(s) if I was just to go to local auto store to purch...not a fan of ebay stuff......will they have OEM filter to purchase or I guess where is best place to go for OEM filter besides Lexus dealer
Old 03-19-10, 06:58 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i tried the ebay stuffs and it looks like well made to me. Only for mechanical components that i will pay OEM.
Old 03-19-10, 11:14 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I order Wix filters from www.filter1.com. I just placed a huge order for my ES 350 and Honda Odyssey. I should be set for a couple of years. Awesome prices and free shipping over $50. I ordered a regular cabin filter and a charcoal cabin filter. I wonder what the difference will be. I'll find out on Monday when they arrive. I'll update with all the part numbers and prices later.

Disclaimer: I do not have any interest in the vendor mentioned above other than being a satisfied customer.

Lexus Cabin Filter Wix 24488 10.22
Lexus Cabin Charc Wix 24511 8.96
Lexus Air Filter Wix 49172 8.80
Lexus Oil Filter Wix 57047 3.92

Last edited by overclock; 03-20-10 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-31-10, 07:21 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

irontoad.com is good vendor for these filters too