ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ask the Tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 09:08 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ask the Tech

Thought this would be a good thread, to ask some techs on this forum some questions about our ES 350s.

I have two to start. The famous "clunk" when you have a full tank of gas and you accelerate from a stop. Is there any fix or TSIB for this? Numerous owners have complained about this.

Also, my dealer just performed a TSIB for a dash rattle in the center near the A/C vents and center speaker above the Nav. Was wondering if you had a copy if it, I would like to read it. It fixed the rattle, which I lived with for about 6 months and am thrilled it is gone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-08, 12:44 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

I haven't had a "clunk" after fill up that you described. I would have to look into that.

The TSIB reguarding the dash is pretty lengthy. I will see what I can do. It requires quite a bit of insulating, some that is probably more than necessary. Did they remove the dash from the vehicle? I have seen its mostly due to the clips right under the windshield that the dashboard mounts to. You remove the factory felt and replace it with thicker, stronger stuff.

Last edited by onepointon; 01-29-08 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 12:50 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, my dash has now been removed twice since purchase due to dash rattles.

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-29-08, 01:26 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
The TSIB reguarding the dash is pretty lengthy. I will see what I can do. It requires quite a bit of insulating, some that is probably more than necessary. Did they remove the dash from the vehicle? I have seen its mostly due to the clips right under the windshield that the dashboard mounts to. You remove the factory felt and replace it with thicker, stronger stuff.
Yeah, I skimmed through it. It's quite lengthy. basically replacing the felt in a ton of places. Looks like a real PITA job for whichever tech is assigned it.
Old 01-29-08, 02:01 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Meh, its not too bad. I have actually gotten good at them. Once the dash is removed, I set it upside down on a table and spend about 30 minutes or so insulating things. Its actually a nice job because it takes a while and you have a direction. I love jobs like that. Plus, I love interior work because I stay clean for most of the day.
Old 01-29-08, 02:43 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Plus, I love interior work because I stay clean for most of the day.
Hahaha, I forgot about that part. My bro-in-law's fingers are always nasty. His clothes can be as well. I always thought a master diagnostic tech (or whatever he's called) would do more diagnosing and not the real greasy stuff but I guess that's not how it works.
Old 01-29-08, 04:38 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

One last question (this should do it for me).

Since day #1 of ownership, I have the "snap" noise from the top corners of the windshield. It only seems to happen when the car flexes (for example, turning into a driveway which might have an incline). The sound is similar to what a stone would sound like hitting glass.

I know there is a TSIB for cutting some kind of clip at the corner of the windshield, and it is on several Lexus models. I have taken the car in twice for this issue, they say it is normal operation and won't perform the TSIB.

It is difficult to reproduce, but I live on a 10 degree slope driveway and everyday when I exit or enter my driveway I hear the noise (during a flexable turn)

Side note: I do have the UL with the glass roof, if that matters.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-08, 05:12 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MD350
One last question (this should do it for me).

Since day #1 of ownership, I have the "snap" noise from the top corners of the windshield. It only seems to happen when the car flexes (for example, turning into a driveway which might have an incline). The sound is similar to what a stone would sound like hitting glass.

I know there is a TSIB for cutting some kind of clip at the corner of the windshield, and it is on several Lexus models. I have taken the car in twice for this issue, they say it is normal operation and won't perform the TSIB.

It is difficult to reproduce, but I live on a 10 degree slope driveway and everyday when I exit or enter my driveway I hear the noise (during a flexable turn)

Side note: I do have the UL with the glass roof, if that matters.

Any suggestions?

So they have performed the TSIB, then told you the condition is normal? Or, just told you it was normal and won't perform the TSIB?

Unfortunately, I had the pleasure of performing this TSIB on a UL ES350. While cutting the bottom clips as carefully as I could, I cracked the customer's windshield. The glass seems to not be sturdy in the one area. I had heard of other techs doing this and was honestly quite scared to do it.

It was fun explaining how I broke a $1300 windshield to my manager...

That may be the reason the dealer doesnt want to do it, but that would just be a guess. That is the only thing I can think of. I did read in the IS250/350 forum about a customer getting his sunroof cleaned/lubricated and it fixing the concern. Apparently it was doing just as you described. Could be something to look at?
Old 01-29-08, 05:39 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

So they have performed the TSIB, then told you the condition is normal? Or, just told you it was normal and won't perform the TSIB?

Unfortunately, I had the pleasure of performing this TSIB on a UL ES350. While cutting the bottom clips as carefully as I could, I cracked the customer's windshield. The glass seems to not be sturdy in the one area. I had heard of other techs doing this and was honestly quite scared to do it.

It was fun explaining how I broke a $1300 windshield to my manager...

That may be the reason the dealer doesnt want to do it, but that would just be a guess. That is the only thing I can think of. I did read in the IS250/350 forum about a customer getting his sunroof cleaned/lubricated and it fixing the concern. Apparently it was doing just as you described. Could be something to look at?
They did not perform the TSIB. But, you could very well be correct! I don't mind living with this if the TSIB risks other damage.

Thanks so much. You don't realize how great it is to get some honest answers.

By the way, when my car was in for service two weeks ago, the advisor told me the engine knock was due to the fuel injectors...he said they are very large on this engine. Obviously, he couldn't say "oh yeah, that is piston slap". So, again, I do appriciate the honest answers here. It makes me feel better about the car.
Old 01-29-08, 07:23 PM
kewl
Rookie

I too have the clunk with the full fuel tank. In test driving several 07 350s on the dealers lot, those with full fuel all did it. After you use a bit of fuel it stops...until the next fill-up of course. My guess is the fuel gage float (assuming that's how they do it in the 350) is banging the top of the tank or a baffle in the tank as the fuel moves around. You notice it mostly when starting from a dead stop. Even if you pull away at a very slow rate it 'clunks'. Sounds like something moving around in the trunk.

I also have the loud snap in the windshield. Sounds like a stone has hit the windshield. I haven't noticed it as much in the cold weather - first winter - but in the summer it would sometimes do it sitting still at a light. I read the TSB for what sounded like the issue, but in reading carefully I decided to live with it....I didn't want them doing that kind of work, especially when they have to work around the headliner. That kind of work never works out in the long run.

$1300 windshield? Why so much?
Old 01-30-08, 07:04 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Rain sensor windshield is why it is so much $$
Old 01-30-08, 01:23 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Well, the rain sensor comes as a separate unit. I think part of the reason is that its covered with a special laminent that reflects harmful UV rays. That, the shape, size, and curve of the glass all have an effect on it. That, and the fact that it has a "L" on it.
Old 01-30-08, 01:48 PM
robob2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kewl
$1300 windshield? Why so much?
Could this have something to do with the fact that this windshield has built in sound deadening?
Old 01-30-08, 09:03 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by robob2
Could this have something to do with the fact that this windshield has built in sound deadening?
Yes....................................................
Old 02-03-08, 06:01 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Question: How does one remove the Roof Console Box Assembly (the panel with the sunroof buttons and map light buttons)? I removed the two screws inside of the eyeglass holder area, but was unable to pull the console out. The front has plastic clips that extend above the headliner, preventing it from coming down, and the rear appears to be held with a concealed fastener to the roof. I want to remove it to install an LED above the garage door opener and cabin light switch for nighttime illumination. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ask the Tech